Previous suite guests

woodmill100

Thanks twinkletoes!!

I really can't wait! I know this is not a typical upgrade...I have been told its extremely rare to get upgraded from a VD all the way to SA. Originally we were assigned a VB cabin from the VD guarantee but I guess since we had 3 rooms to give up and they were really desperate for rooms, they went over and above the norm. In addition to the cabin upgrade, we got on board credits, transfers from airport to ship, ship to hotel and hotel to airport again along with a post night at the Fairmont Olympic in Seattle.

I think since they had these 3 large groups, it was hard for them to find anyone to actually switch to another cruise. We had our hearts set on the Noordam but after everything they offered we decided the Oosterdam sounded pretty comparable and all those perks were too hard to pass up! And it didn't interfere with our original flight plans!!! My parents are going to be floored! :D

An upgrade from a VD to a SA is thousands of dollars...so you got a really wonderful deal! I really don't recall reading about anything as sweet as this deal. Plus the other things HAL included...WOW, is all I can say. I'm so happy you were able to switch...because this is really going to be a fun surprise for those that don't know...and an amazing experience.

If I were in your shoes, I would have done exactly what you did. Your parents will be floored!! You will not believe how spacious those suites are. And the perks...it's something.

Re-entry to the "real" world was really hard after our cruise.

It's so nice that this happened to you...and your family. You'll have to come back and let us know how everything went. :)

Christine (and brother;)) make sure you take a picture of your parents faces when you a) get to the Fairmont and b) when you get to your cabin!

Once mom was off the floor I took her to the Neptune Lounge and got her acquinted with some of the suite-life perks! Then we toured the rest of the ship. I can't wait to hear their reactions!!!

Have a FABULOUS time! We sure did!

Twinkletoes, I agree with you that HAL plays fast and loose with the term “suite.” On most HAL ships just having a balcony qualifies as a “suite,” but the “suite” perks don’t appy to all balcony cabins.

WindyCity, it is really heartwarming to learn of a fabulous upgrade for the average joe with a very special occasion. Best to you and your folks from folks from Oak Park and Palatine.

Re suite perks, I love the laundry service (send out before 9:00 am), though I know you can buy limitless service for much less than the cost of a suite, and frankly, I love eating in the room. We get starters from the Lido deck and then order main course/dessert from room service, which is handled by the concierge in the Neptune Room and often much better than what you get in the dining room, where they don’t know you have a suite. (we is my sister-in-law and I; we’re not big on social occasions)

That is a wonderful upgrade!!!! I have not been on the Noordam, but the Oosterdam is truly a wonderful ship and service is phenomenal...I am sure that reflects the Hotel Manager James Deering, he is truly the best. The staff love him which seems to have created a foundation for service beyond "Excellence." I have sailed on other Holland ships and they all provide outstanding service, but IMO Oosterdam is the star...Have a wonderful trip... what a gift for you all....DB777

An upgrade from a VD to a SA is thousands of dollars...so you got a really wonderful deal! I really don't recall reading about anything as sweet as this deal. Plus the other things HAL included...WOW, is all I can say. I'm so happy you were able to switch...because this is really going to be a fun surprise for those that don't know...and an amazing experience.

If I were in your shoes, I would have done exactly what you did. Your parents will be floored!! You will not believe how spacious those suites are. And the perks...it's something.

Re-entry to the "real" world was really hard after our cruise.

It's so nice that this happened to you...and your family. You'll have to come back and let us know how everything went. :)

Thanks again twinkletoes! I am getting more excited everyday...I can't believe how soon we leave. I feel very lucky that we are able to surprise our parents with this wonderful trip. I still can't believe all the perks we got...I don't think it will sink in til I actually get there!

I will definitely let you all know how it went when we get back! :)

Christine (and brother;)) make sure you take a picture of your parents faces when you a) get to the Fairmont and b) when you get to your cabin!

Once mom was off the floor I took her to the Neptune Lounge and got her acquinted with some of the suite-life perks! Then we toured the rest of the ship. I can't wait to hear their reactions!!!

Have a FABULOUS time! We sure did!

Hi Nathan,

I enjoyed viewing your wonderful pictures of your recent Alaskan cruise with your mom. (Which by the way, I will go vote on some of your pictures that you entered in the Conde Nast Traveler photo contest!) I only hope my pics turn out half as well. :)

Between your pics and Lisa's daily reports from the Noordam that I have been following...you have all been helping me get really excited with anticipation of what's to come!

Hopefully I will have some nice pics and good stories to share! :)

Thanks again!

WindyCity, it is really heartwarming to learn of a fabulous upgrade for the average joe with a very special occasion. Best to you and your folks from folks from Oak Park and Palatine.

Re suite perks, I love the laundry service (send out before 9:00 am), though I know you can buy limitless service for much less than the cost of a suite, and frankly, I love eating in the room. We get starters from the Lido deck and then order main course/dessert from room service, which is handled by the concierge in the Neptune Room and often much better than what you get in the dining room, where they don’t know you have a suite. (we is my sister-in-law and I; we’re not big on social occasions)

Hi and Thanks Sue (Neighbor!) :)

Nice to hear from a fellow Chicagoan! I live near Oak Park and our Aunt and Uncle that are joining us live near Palatine in Wheeling! Small World! :) Which cruise did you enjoy your suite on?

I am really looking forward to taking advantage of the Suite perks. Although, unlike you...I love any opportunity to be part of a social occasion!!! So, I probably won't take much advantage of meals in our suite other than I love having coffee each morning in my room while I get ready! I don't do well until I have had my first 2 cups of coffee! :D

Perhaps we will splurge on appetizers and cocktails with our group at some point in one of the suites...our own little cocktail party! :) We already booked a renewal of vows for our parents and will have a nice dinner in the Pinnacle grill.

I will let you all know how it turned out!

Thanks again for the well wishes!

That is a wonderful upgrade!!!! I have not been on the Noordam, but the Oosterdam is truly a wonderful ship and service is phenomenal...I am sure that reflects the Hotel Manager James Deering, he is truly the best. The staff love him which seems to have created a foundation for service beyond "Excellence." I have sailed on other Holland ships and they all provide outstanding service, but IMO Oosterdam is the star...Have a wonderful trip... what a gift for you all....DB777

Thanks db777!

I am feeling better and better about our decision to switch cruises in exchange for the amazing upgrade and perks. Originally we had our hearts set on cruising the Noordam and had to make a decision to switch without having time to explore much information about the Oosterdam. But after reading what you all have to say about it I am confident that we made a good decision and looking forward to enjoying traveling 1st class!:)

Thanks again for your positive wishes!

Roberta (Charliesmom),

No we never got the "corsages" and the Renewal of Vows was on the second formal night.

ANOTHER WINDY CITY :D (They might get us confused!)

Hi neighbor! I see you are in Belvidere....my best friends live there! I am on the NW side of Chicago just east of O'Hare!

We ordered the Renewal of Vows for our Parent's 50th Anniversary. I wonder if they always do it the second formal night...so far they haven't given us details of which night it will be. I assumed it would be one of the formal nights. We shall see! :)

Also, be sure to read all the little sealed cards in your room, since they contain "gifts" or invitations to events. We received a card that told us we had 200 free minutes on the internet compliments of HAL. Just on a whim, I asked the Neptune lounge concierge why in the world would I have gotten such a credit when I had no intention of spending time on the internet while cruising Alaska. She said they thought I would be conducting business while at sea. She said "let me see what I can do". In the end, we got $200 off our general ship charges. So if you get something for "free" that you don't think you will use, don't be afraid to try and turn it into some other credit.

Also, be sure to read all the little sealed cards in your room, since they contain "gifts" or invitations to events. We received a card that told us we had 200 free minutes on the internet compliments of HAL. Just on a whim, I asked the Neptune lounge concierge why in the world would I have gotten such a credit when I had no intention of spending time on the internet while cruising Alaska. She said they thought I would be conducting business while at sea. She said "let me see what I can do". In the end, we got $200 off our general ship charges. So if you get something for "free" that you don't think you will use, don't be afraid to try and turn it into some other credit.

Thanks for the tip pisces1! I will be sure to watch for any sealed cards or envelopes. One of the perks they already gave us is $500 OBC for each suite so I would be shocked if they gave us any more credits! :eek:

We are aleady beyond anything I ever imagined! Although...if they gave us free minutes for the internet, my brother and I would be able to check our email daily and maybe we would even send you updates of our cruise! :D

Renewal of Vows is done on a formal night usually, but it depends on the captain which nite it will be. There will be invitations for the ROV in your parents cabin and in the cabins of any additional guests you paid for. The ROV is very nice and worth every penny. My brother in law surprised his wife with it - he just grabbed every envelope that came to their cabin and his wife thought she was going to our ROV as our guest. Just before the ceremony, we revealed the "surprise" to her and she burst into tears......was very moving and our entire table of 10 was at the ROV ceremony as our guests.

Our suite was on the Volendam, which we love. This year it's the Amsterdam, which I'm sure we'll love, too. And I'll sure you'll love the Oosterdam! Have a wonderful trip! Don't forget that you can nip into the Neptune Lounge for your morning coffee (and a Danish), even in your bathrobe!

Four of us will be in an S suite on the Volendam in September. I have looked at the deck plans, and guess what, we are just across from the Neptune lounge!! Now, I won't have to go very far for that first cup of morning coffee!! Although this will be my 6th HAL cruise, I have never had a suite on HAL before--just an OV and a balcony. I am really looking forward to this cruise (Alaska--inside passage). I think that after reading these posts, I am going really like the "suite life!!"

Marilyn

Renewal of Vows is done on a formal night usually, but it depends on the captain which nite it will be. There will be invitations for the ROV in your parents cabin and in the cabins of any additional guests you paid for. The ROV is very nice and worth every penny. My brother in law surprised his wife with it - he just grabbed every envelope that came to their cabin and his wife thought she was going to our ROV as our guest. Just before the ceremony, we revealed the "surprise" to her and she burst into tears......was very moving and our entire table of 10 was at the ROV ceremony as our guests.

Oh that sounds so sweet! I can't wait...I am sure my mom will cry! They don't know about the renewal of vows yet either! Lots of nice surprises in store for them!:)

Our suite was on the Volendam, which we love. This year it's the Amsterdam, which I'm sure we'll love, too. And I'll sure you'll love the Oosterdam! Have a wonderful trip! Don't forget that you can nip into the Neptune Lounge for your morning coffee (and a Danish), even in your bathrobe!

Thanks again....and I am sure I will make full use of the Neptune Lounge for my coffee fixes! Although I am not sure I am brave enough to be seen in my bathrobe first thing in the morning ---- Scary sight! :o (I'll send my brother!) LOL :D

We don't like a full breakfast. Tried it the first day on the cruise and felt like a slug for the next four hours. After that, I just walked to the Neptune and selected some fruit, juice a few rolls and cappucino to bring back to the cabin. You can take it all back with you in one trip if you take the silver tray from beneath your water pitcher.

Or, if you are in a cabin without access to the Neptune room, you can just order whatever you want for breakfast and have room service deliver it. You don't even have to leave your room. I loved it!

Leslie

We don't like a full breakfast. Tried it the first day on the cruise and felt like a slug for the next four hours. After that, I just walked to the Neptune and selected some fruit, juice a few rolls and cappucino to bring back to the cabin. You can take it all back with you in one trip if you take the silver tray from beneath your water pitcher.

Or, if you are in a cabin without access to the Neptune room, you can just order whatever you want for breakfast and have room service deliver it. You don't even have to leave your room. I loved it!

Leslie

Yeh... isn't it nice that when cruising the toughest decision of the day is "Hmm...what will I have for breakfast", followed by "hot or cold lunch?" and later, "Should I get the veal or the halibut?".

I think I am going to love having the Neptune Lounge for anytime access to coffee or a snack. And I agree with you...Sometimes I don't want a huge breakfast, so something light thats available right accross the hall will be great!

ONLY 10 DAYS TO GO!!!! :eek:

Archived