Alaska on Radiance

I am about to book a trip on Radiance to Alaska at the end of August - traveling solo, first time cruiser, first time Alaska, impulsive "I've got to get out of here" decision, found incredible deal on travelocity! So I have a few questions - (1) any experience of traveling alone on Alaska trip? I guess I'm looking for a combation of being left alone and finding companionable people (2) advice for cabin location? fairly limited on this deal - I'm assuming midship is better than way aft? (3) advice on shore excursions - again looking for a balance, I don't want to spend as much on excursions as I did on the trip! Maybe one expensive one (I mean like $200, not $500), others a little less.

Help me out, all you experienced cruisers!

progress.gif

Was on Radiance in Alaska 2 weeks ago, I had a room near the back of boat and was concerned since it had an obstructed view. We had rooms 7164 and 7166, the obstruction was lifeboat covers at the end of the balcony so we couldn't see directly down to the ocean. This also made our balcony twice as deep as the other balconies. I would not hesitate to do it again. It was a bit of a walk from elevators, but hey who couldn't use a few extra steps on a cruise? There was a bit of noise at night from the clubs directly below, but usually done by 1 am.

Skayway we did the horseback through the Yukon through shoretrips.com.

Juneau we did the guides choice adventure hike through RCI-on our day we hiked by Mendenhal glacier, beautiful views, but it was a bit strenous, I wouldn't recommend it for elderly or anyone with any physical ailments.

Both of these shore excursions I would gladly do again, they were very informative and took us into beautiful country. I think the prices were around 80.00-125.00 each. I do recommend doing excursions, as these places you visit are villages and there really isn't a whole lot to do on your own. You should have no problem meeting people on the cruise, everyone I encountered was extremely nice. Hope this helps a bit.

We had a blast in Alaska in 2001. I would suggest signing up for your excursions through the cruise line. First, as a first time cruiser, it is easier and with all of the other new experiences the whole cruise experience could be overwhelming. After you've cruised once, you can look at planning excursions on your own. The second reason is that when you go on excursions through the ship, you know that you will be in a group with other passengers on your same ship...e.g. a great way to meet people. If you arrange tours/excursions on your own, you sometimes get mixed in with people from other ships or that are travelling other ways.

Second, I would suggest that you make sure that you ask for a large table for dinner. Another good way to meet new friends. It also gives you someone to share what you did with during the day and learn a little more about the port of call than just what you did. It's so much fun to go back and share. It feels like you get more than one shore excurion per port that way.

Last, make sure to look at your Compass (newsletter) each evening in your cabin. Almost everything on board can be done solo and there is so much to do. I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Our honeymoon cruise was on Radiance starting August 23rd, I think. The Hubbard Glacier cruise. Is that the one you're taking?

In Juneau, we got off the ship, found the big blue bus, paid $5 each and went up to the glacier in Juneau (forgive, I have very little memory of the cruise since I slept through quite a bit of it due to early pregnancy). That was very nice, and when we wanted to go back, we went back to the bus area and waited for it to take us back. We spent the rest of the time wandering Juneau in the area of the ship, walking into little shops, had lunch at a random Mexican restaurant on a side street, drooled over some jewelry at Fire/Ice, and had a grand time.

Skagway, gosh we fell in love with Skagway (and I'm not entirely sure why!). We did a ship excursion for that, went to the Jewell Gardens for a proper tea. This was my HUSBAND's idea. :) We *still* have some of the tea leftover (honeymoon was in '03!) because DH has been rationing it (of course, the tea is from a wholesaler on the east coast, but I haven't told him that, ha ha) because he loves it so much. Had a little lunch with our fellow cruisers, had a walk around the garden with a guide, it was a good time. Then we wandered the part of town you can wander on foot, and adored it.

Ketchikan, well, many other normal people love Ketchikan (and dislike Skagway). We were opposite. We got off the ship, wandered a bit, saw all the exact same jewelry and chochtke stores that we'd seen elsewhere, and went back to the ship for some swimming and food in Windjammer.

It's possible if we'd done Ketchikan first, that's how we would have felt about Skagway, I don't know. Don't listen to me about Ketchikan. Listen to others. :)

So that's only one ship excursion, and it was a good one. The one thing I would add on now would be a whale watching expedition. We were under the impression that one could see whales from the ship, and in fact many of our fellow cruisers did, but we were the unluckiest Alaska cruisers ever, b/c we kept getting places just as the whales went back under, or leaving places just before they surfaced...very frustrating. So we wish we'd paid the $$ for a whale tour in Juneau, and would do so in the future.

As for cabin...we were in the very front on the 7th deck. Very barfy! For me at least (newly pg), not for DH (he used to work on oil tankers going up to Valdez...he giggled at the concept cruise ship customers have of rough seas). I hear for nausea-avoidance, the middle of the ship, lower in decks, is best. But if we go again, we're snagging an aft balcony, barfiness be darned!

have a good cruise!

In Juneau we did whale watching with Harv and Marv--we had a blast-small boat only 6 -----they also stop at Mendenhall Glacier on way back to ship

In Skagway we rented a car rom Avis and drove to Emerald Lake--ou could post on your meet and mingle and find a couple of others to share the car with

also be sure to sign up for your cruises meet and mingle and roll call--you'll have the chance to chat with other single travelers on your cruise prior to sailing

hope this helps

Paul

hope this helps

I am about to book a trip on Radiance to Alaska at the end of August - traveling solo, first time cruiser, first time Alaska, impulsive "I've got to get out of here" decision, found incredible deal on travelocity! So I have a few questions - (1) any experience of traveling alone on Alaska trip? I guess I'm looking for a combation of being left alone and finding companionable people (2) advice for cabin location? fairly limited on this deal - I'm assuming midship is better than way aft? (3) advice on shore excursions - again looking for a balance, I don't want to spend as much on excursions as I did on the trip! Maybe one expensive one (I mean like $200, not $500), others a little less.

Help me out, all you experienced cruisers!

progress.gif

Done the same trip on the Radiance, May /04

Juneau,as said take the Blue bus,pick it up outside the sky lift.

Town Libuary is free for 30 mins of internet use,u willfind the crew here.

Skagway is interesting walk with the ranger aroung town.

Ketchikan,take the bus from outside the tourist office,(short distance from the ship)$3 each way,every 30 mins,to Saxman park/Bight totem park,it is here that the Totem pole mounted on the Radiance,deck 12 was carved,make sure you go early,beat the RCCL visitors,then back to Ketchikan for a walk around town

ARB711 - We are on the Radiance on the August 31st sailing. is this the one you are taking. If so we are planning a get together sometime before dinner the day we board. If this is the cruise you are taking, we promise we will speak with you and help to make your trip memorable. This is also our first trip to Alaska although not our first cruise. I believe their is another couple that this is their first cruise and it is also Alaska.

I have gotten alot of information from the Cruise critic- Alaska boards.

Our one big excursion is going to be the Whitepass train/bus combo tour in Skagway. I booked through Chilkoot charters as it was slightly cheaper than the cruiseline tour, and they use smaller busses. It is an all day trip, that includes lunch and many scenic stops.

In Ketchikan I copied a walking tour, from the boards, that we will do.

In Juneau, there is a shuttle bus, for $12 roundtrip that goes to Mendenhall Glacier, and the Mt. Roberts Tramway goes up the side of the Mountain, for hiking and great views, I think it is around $24.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do.

As far as travelling alone, I have found that if you keep to yourself, people will leave you alone, but if you are outgoing and engage people you will meet alot of nice people and have a good time.

Okay, since I didn't post the excursions that we did last time, here is a summary. Note that this was in June 2001 and quite a lot may have changed.

All were booked through the Rhapsody OS excursion desk as this was our first cruise and we really didn't know how to look for excursions ourselves.

Juneau--we took the cablecar up the mountain overlooking the port and we had a hike through the area seeing a lot of local nature (including some breathtaking views). We came back to the ship and after lunch went on a tour that went white-water rafting. I've done Class 4 whitewater before but DW had never done it. It was only Class 2 with one short Class 3 run, but we enjoyed it still. When we came back, we had the bus let us off at the top of the street back to the ship and we walked down the street and shopped for mementos/gifts on the walk back to the ship.

Skagway--one of our favorite days! We took a mountain-bike tour in the morning and saw more breathtaking views of Alaska. It was a great ride. After lunch, we took the train to/through White Foal Pass and ended up at Lake Foster over the Canadian border. We kayaked on Lake Foster for about an hour-and-a-half and then had a van ride back to the ship. I still have a photo of Lake Foster that is one of my favorite photos--it was my desktop background for a long time. This was probably my favorite excursion of the trip.

Sitka--in the morning a bike-and-hike tour that included a ride out to Mosquito Bay, then a hike through the woods out and around the bay, then a bike ride back. Since we had to tender in, we decided not to go back to the ship, but ate at a lovely little restaurant on the second story of a shop that had a full wall pane glass window overlooking the port. Absolutely gorgeous. Afternoon, we took a boat ride to see the sealife. We saw sea otters, and a bear, but never saw a whale and didn't see too much wildlife.

Ketchikan--we took a busride to a local reservation for the Aleut Indians. We got to see where them making some of the local handcrafts and see some traditional dancing and culture. It was okay, but not something that we'd do again. But after lunch, we came out and found in the local tourist information center a walking tour or Ketchikan. It took us about 3 hours, but it was a great tour. We saw the aviary where they were taking care of two injured bald eagles who had mated. We saw a salmon hatchery where they were breeding salmon and some other local culture. This was a fantastic tour and best of all--free!

Loved the outdoors in Alaska. Anything active outdoors (biking, hiking, rafting, kayaking, etc) is well worth it.

I was on the Radiance on May 18th, traveling solo and had a great time. My advice is to join the rollcall and get to know other travelors. Go to the Meet & Mingle and you will be surprised how often you run into "familiar" faces during the cruise.

Our rollcall was quite active and we ended up with a table (for both seatings) that we filled up with CC members and we had a blast.

From my experiences traveling solo, you can have the best of both worlds. "Alone" time when you need it and "people" time when you want company. I am usually quite reserved but I never found it difficult to strike up a conversation, especially while enjoying the beauty that is Alaska.

So my advice is, go for it, you won't be sorry!

Archived