question on aft cat S suite on the Oosterdam

psramsey

Hi everyone!

Has anyone done an aft cat s suite on the Oosterdam? I was curious about balcony privacy from above. Any info you have on these suites is appreciated.

We just booked the 13 day panama canal for Jan and I'm hoping I made the right cabin selection.

Thanks so much!

Diamond1

psramsey -

we are booked in a catagory S suite Aft side cabin on the Zuiderdam next month and posters on this board have made me sooo excited about this location that I can hardly wait. If the cruisers in the cabins above you are standing at their balcony rail and you are out at your balcony rail I have been told you will be seen but I believe everyone will be mindful of everyone elses need for some privacy. I've been told that the corner aft cabins have a verandah that is large enough to throw a cocktail party for 50 people - that sounds like a pretty spectacular verandah IMHO.

I'm tickled pink about this cabin and will post when I get back in early Oct.

Deb

No issue on privacy or people throwing things on you for the Navigation deck as the deck is covered.

As the aft of the Vista class ship is wedding-cake tiered, those on the lower decks can be seen if they stand toward the edge of the veranda.

As often as this question comes up, I always ask "what are you planning on doing that demands absolute privacy" and no one answers.

PS, I had 20 people one time and 25 another on my Navagation deck veranda without problems.

psramsey -

we are booked in a catagory S suite Aft side cabin on the Zuiderdam next month and posters on this board have made me sooo excited about this location that I can hardly wait. If the cruisers in the cabins above you are standing at their balcony rail and you are out at your balcony rail I have been told you will be seen but I believe everyone will be mindful of everyone elses need for some privacy. I've been told that the corner aft cabins have a verandah that is large enough to throw a cocktail party for 50 people - that sounds like a pretty spectacular verandah IMHO.

I'm tickled pink about this cabin and will post when I get back in early Oct.

Deb

Actually Deb you can put your 50 guests on the side of the veranda if the sun is behind you or aft if it is on the side or front. Of course you can have a mixed party of 100 if you choose. But no bocce ball alowed!!!! :cool:

As often as this question comes up, I always ask "what are you planning on doing that demands absolute privacy" and no one answers.

"Absolute" privacy?, nothing. But if I wanted people to watch what I was doing I'd go to a public area......

lknick -

Some people I imagine just like the privacy and are skeptical about strangers seeing them in PJs (I for one don't give a darn, if they see something they have never seen before, they can throw a rock at it). Others might like to take their breakfast al natural.

I would like to believe that most adults (not into voyorism) would respect other cruisers privacy by not intentionally trying to sneak a peek.

Deb

As always these are just my opinions. S7133 is a great cabin I usually would try for S5187 or S5186 first only because those have a little more cabin space than 7133. I'm guessing about 365 sq ft compared to about 335 sq ft. One of the advantages to 7133 its on the same deck as the Neptune lounge. I would take 7133 in a heart beat. I still don't believe the balcony in the aft cabins we've had. I remember my wife said we had to much furniture on the balcony for just the two us ( two padded lounge chairs, nice sized table with four chairs, and two other chairs with ottomans and one small table) but I told her thats ok plenty of space to put them. You may get some trash blown down on your balcony but we've had very little so its never been a problem. As for the balcony part of it can be seen from the decks above you ( the aft part) but the side part of your balcony which is quite large cannot be seen by the people above you. Best part of this is if the sun is out usually part of the balcony is in the sun and and part is in the shade so you can decide which part you want to be on. One thing I sometimes forget is the view is in my opinion is tremendous you not only can look out at the wake of the ship but also look out the side. Were in S5187 again in late Nov but if that hadn't been available we would have hoped to get 7133. Hope this helps hope you both enjoy your cruises.

We were in Suite 6169 and would not book one like it again. The verandah was hugh but it was always dirty with debris from the smoke stack and passengers on the lido deck.

The cabin was also smaller than we expected and we were so far from the Neptune Lounge that we didn't use it at all.

I'm glad we tried it but we would not book it again.

We have 5186 and 5187 booked for January 2nd and can't wait. A few weeks ago there was a post that included pictures of 5186 including the balcony and the cabin itself.

The cabin looks a little smaller than the side S suites but the balcony is 2-3 times as big.

I would also suspect things are a littler quieter on the back end of the ship with very little foot traffic near the cabin.

We like to spend sea days soaking up rays and with the mad scramble for lounge chairs near the pool this seems like a great alternative.

These two cabins are the largest aft suites on the ship according to bestpricecruises which gives you the actual sq footage of each cabin. They are a little smaller than the S suites midship port and starboard but if you only have two people in a cabin I don't think you will miss the extra space.

Jazz, it is good to poimtnt out potential disadvantages. If people know what to expect they are less likely to be dissapointed. On our cruise Suzie was unhappy were her aft cabin for the reasons that you stated. Alos, some people are not aware that the S is smaller inside but with a bigger balcony, and they are unhappy with the tradeoff.

Hopefully with the enhanced search function working potential cruisers can be more sure to like what they book and not to be faced with any potential dissapointments.

Last summer I had a HUGE balcony in my aft suite , but I was just as happy with my balcony that we had with the SS last week. It satisifed my requirement that I could lay back, read and enjoy a view of the Med without the sun beating down on me. We never have 15 let alone 50 people in our cabin so its just unnecessary to have such an expansive balcony. We mainly used it for storing out snorkel and scuba gear.

Hi,

We originally booked 7133 and our Travel agent called to say that there was a mistake and it was already taken so Holland America reassigned us to S8135. They said that was the best available and then suddenly 5186 popped up so we changed to that one!

Any info appreciated Thanks so much!

PS Ramsey

Archived