Guarantee Status and upgrades

haredi

We are headed to Barcelona in July for the 10-day on the 18th. Our agent said all the staterooms were on guarantee status for the cruise, so we took the cheapest inside staterooms with the hope we might get upgraded, or at least get connecting rooms. Having that third child really messes up those rooms!:) Anyway, has anyone had this issue, and how did it work out? We are on the waiting list for a suite, but I am assuming this is unlikely.

Also, any other suggestions you have for this cruise would be great! After reading many of the threads, we are now going to do private tours in Rome and probably Naples. Any help is much appreciated! This is our second cruise and the first with the kids, ages 11, 9, and 5. The first cruise with NCL to Bermuda was not good, so we have high expectations for this one!

D

If you have a guarantee, they usually try to get both cabins on the same deck. If you are really unhappy when you get assigned a cabin, sometimes your TA can call and get the cabin changed to another one of the same category. Not always. A guarantee is just that, they guarantee at least a 4A or higher if you took a inside guarantee.

Even if you are on the same deck you could easily be half a ship away from each other, so there were NO other choices, you couldnt pay extra to get cabins next to each other? chances of getting a connecting cabin are probably pretty slim, but you could get on a higher deck than a 4A which is considered a upgrade.

There was no option to pay extra for cabins together. All the suites were sold out, and every other catagory was guarantee only. It did not seem worth paying an extra $8,000 to still not know if we would be together. With 5 people, we are forced to pay two adult fares for each stateroom and only have one child fare.

Sorry, wrong categories for disney, I see I had them confused.

I guess there was no way to put you in one cabin and your spouse in the other to cut down on adult fares?

Hopefully your children are ok if they are down the hall from you. $8,000 extra would be too rich for my pocket book too!!! I really think Disney aimes to please so if you are too far apart you might try calling and explaining you were unable to book assignd staterooms, you had to book guarantees. Doesnt hurt to call if you are unhappy with where both cabins are compared to each other.

Sorry, wrong categories for disney, I see I had them confused.

I guess there was no way to put you in one cabin and your spouse in the other to cut down on adult fares?

Hopefully your children are ok if they are down the hall from you. $8,000 extra would be too rich for my pocket book too!!! I really think Disney aimes to please so if you are too far apart you might try calling and explaining you were unable to book assignd staterooms, you had to book guarantees. Doesnt hurt to call if you are unhappy with where both cabins are compared to each other.

Even if Mom and dad split up between the 2 cabins they'd still have to pay 4 adult fares wouldn't they? Or does Disney charge by your age?

Bill

You might be right and that is how children's fares work. Two pay adult fares in each cabin.

I dont have kids so admit I dont know the rules. We are cruising on Disney with two adults.

when I first answered this post it was under general "ask a cruise question" and so it was not clear the OP was asking about Disney. Now it is clear, looks like the post was moved...either that or Im dizzy.

We are having to pay two adult fares for each stateroom, but it still comes out a lot less expensive that way. We did just find out that our assigned rooms are right next to each other on Deck 6. So we were upgraded one category and we are at least next to each other. I am assuming that even if we had connecting rooms, the kids would be on our side since they don't like being without us. We may have to keep some luggage in the one room, and get ready in both rooms, but if one of them is for 4 people, we might be able to squeeze in just to sleep.

At least we're not at opposite ends of the ship on different decks!!!:)

If you have a guarantee, they usually try to get both cabins on the same deck. If you are really unhappy when you get assigned a cabin, sometimes your TA can call and get the cabin changed to another one of the same category. Not always. A guarantee is just that, they guarantee at least a 4A or higher if you took a inside guarantee.

Even if you are on the same deck you could easily be half a ship away from each other, so there were NO other choices, you couldnt pay extra to get cabins next to each other? chances of getting a connecting cabin are probably pretty slim, but you could get on a higher deck than a 4A which is considered a upgrade.[/qu

never mind......

As I said this post was on a general board and moved here or I thought it was posted elsewhere, not sure....but yes, my reply was not geared toward the Disney line...if that is why you were quoting me. I mentioned that above that I thought this post originally was posted elsewhere or Im dizzy.

Sorry to piggy-back on your thread, but we've booked guarantee for our 9/6 cruise. Any ideas when we might hear the actual cabin numbers??

We were told to call one week before to request connecting rooms again, however they have already been booked 3 weeks before. I was told by our TA that there is no changing them now.

BTW, does anyone know if this is true? I am still happy we are able to have rooms next to each other, but with three boys it gets kind of crazy. Connecting rooms would have been ideal.

We are headed to Barcelona in July for the 10-day on the 18th. Our agent said all the staterooms were on guarantee status for the cruise, so we took the cheapest inside staterooms with the hope we might get upgraded, or at least get connecting rooms. Having that third child really messes up those rooms!:) Anyway, has anyone had this issue, and how did it work out? We are on the waiting list for a suite, but I am assuming this is unlikely.

Also, any other suggestions you have for this cruise would be great! After reading many of the threads, we are now going to do private tours in Rome and probably Naples. Any help is much appreciated! This is our second cruise and the first with the kids, ages 11, 9, and 5. The first cruise with NCL to Bermuda was not good, so we have high expectations for this one!

D

We just returned from the Mediterranean on Disney's cruise ship Magic. It was absolutely the best time we ever had. I had heard of several last minute cancellations from one of our dining partners so they moved from an inside cabin to one with an Ocean View.

Howver, even if you don't upgrade, Disney does a first rate job keeping your day filled with things to do from early in the morning to well into the night. Especially with all day shore excusions as part of your plans, you'll be plum tired to eat. You can easily watch the sunsets from either the dining areas, Topsider buffet if you choose, or Deck 4/9/10.

The shore excursions were well organized by Disney. For the longer-all-day venues in Naples/Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri or Rome or Florence/Pisa, the tour agency that Disney contracted used one-way radios that allows you to hear your tourguide very well above the noise in crowded venues like the Vatican, Cathedrals, Pompeii, etc.

Several of people we met did a couple of tours on their own or just caught the shuttles/train (we went on our own in three ports of call) and they said they saved alot.

Either way, we enjoyed our tour guides, our explorations on our own. For Florence/Pisa, we were very busy and my wife did not get to shop as much as she wanted to (one lady rushed from the tour group to shop on her own at the Pointe Vecchio Bridge (lots of gold)). Disney actually left one tour guide behind to find her (she caught up with us about 20 minutes later...but her newly wed husband looked very irritated).

HAve Fun!:)

Archived