Depth of water in Eden Rock?

LadyLeo84

Eden Rock sounds like a great place to go snorkeling. . . . Was wondering how deep the water is there, as I do not like to go into deep water and what type of fish, etc do you see? We will be in Grand Cayman in just a little bit over a week and would like to know if this the place that I should plan on, or does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all of your help:)

It depends on what exactly you mean by deep water. You enter the water down a ladder into water that is over 6 ft. and increases as you swim away from the shore to over 25/40 ft. The water is very clear, though, so it is not a matter of it being too deep to see anything. As soon as you enter the water though you will see a great variety of fish including the 2 ft or larger tarpon, the smaller yellow tails, and all types of other tropical fish.

Hope this helps. Maybe others have more specific details that they can chime in about.

I would say snorkelling at Eden Rock is in deep water. My 9 year old daughter was a little intimidated. She had snorkeled twice before in Hawaii in shallow water. Eden Rock can get to a depth of 60 feet (we heard the scuba divers talking). Once you swim out to the reef the depth feels a little more comfortable - maybe around 10 feet. We had great conditions the day we were there (June 12). You could see clearly all the way to the bottom. We had a great day. I would highly recommend it, but I was a little surprised at how deep it was.

• 3 weeks later...
I would say snorkelling at Eden Rock is in deep water. My 9 year old daughter was a little intimidated. She had snorkeled twice before in Hawaii in shallow water. Eden Rock can get to a depth of 60 feet (we heard the scuba divers talking). Once you swim out to the reef the depth feels a little more comfortable - maybe around 10 feet. We had great conditions the day we were there (June 12). You could see clearly all the way to the bottom. We had a great day. I would highly recommend it, but I was a little surprised at how deep it was.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what and how the ladder looked. Is it like a ladder you would find on a regular pool and you climb in and out. I've read somewhere that it was stairs.

How was the current the day you were there? Do I need swim fins to be able to swim back to the ladder when I'm ready to get out. Husband and I are doing all the snorkeling we can do around here but the water is shallow and I can put my feet on the bottom of the ocean so I'm assuming that I would have to float all the time because there's no way to touch the bottom.

I want to do this snorkeling so much and I just have to start talking to myself that I can handle whatever comes that day we're at Eden Rock.

I hope you can answer some of my questions and I can put my mind at ease. TIA

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what and how the ladder looked. Is it like a ladder you would find on a regular pool and you climb in and out. I've read somewhere that it was stairs.

How was the current the day you were there? Do I need swim fins to be able to swim back to the ladder when I'm ready to get out.

The ladder at Eden Rock is similiar to a pool ladder. You can stand in the water under the ladder. I would say the depth was about to my waist or maybe a little higher. My daughters were able to stand and put on their fins.

There was no current the day we were there, and the sea was very calm. I would recommend fins. The reef is quite far out there and fins make it so much easier. The great thing about Eden Rock is that you have complete control. If you don't feel comfortable you can just get out. You aren't on a snorkeling excursion stuck on a boat. I think it is a good place for a beginning snorkeler. (that's why I took my daughters there)

I hope you have a great time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

PCCCruiser, I admire your desire to face your fears. I can remember freaking out if my ponytail brushed against my mask. I overcame all my fears by packing my noodle with my snorkle gear. Tucked under my arms, I swim quite aways off shore, and I think it's a safety feature to keep boats from running over me. My husband laughs, but says he can always spot me in the water. It packs easily too and cushions other things in the suitcase. I prefer it to a vest.

It is deep water at Eden Rock but the best snorkling on the island for free.

Archived