Has anyone been to Labadee with a scooter?

My next cruise tenders in to Labadee and I have to ride my scooter on the tender because I can't do steps. My concern is once we get there. Will the scooters drive over the packed sand or I will I have to get one of those bubbletire wheelchairs? If I do, where do I leave the scooter? I have already decided not to get off the ship in Jamaica because of all that is going on. My other 2 islands, I have already seen many times but would really like to check out Labadee private island. Anyone with scooters go here and get around good? Thanks

My next cruise tenders in to Labadee and I have to ride my scooter on the tender because I can't do steps. My concern is once we get there. Will the scooters drive over the packed sand or I will I have to get one of those bubbletire wheelchairs? If I do, where do I leave the scooter? I have already decided not to get off the ship in Jamaica because of all that is going on. My other 2 islands, I have already seen many times but would really like to check out Labadee private island. Anyone with scooters go here and get around good? Thanks

My dh uses a manual chair so I am not too sure about the accessibility of a scooter......but....I can tell you that I didn't see any scooters around. They have the beach chairs right at the dock & you leave your chair there. I am not sure if you would be able to "wheel" around in that sand but its been a couple of years since we went.

Hi Ocean,

I wanted to find the answer to the same question about scooters in Labadee since we are sailing on Explorer in October. Since my husband is a slow walker, I guess he will have to use a sand wheelchair, but it sounds like fun!

IHere is an answer I found by searching the Royal Caribbean board:

It's message # 8:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=576009&highlight=labadee+accessible

Another post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=262659&highlight=labadee+accessible

An article:

http://candyharrington.com/clips/twi.php

Some pictures of Labadee dock-scroll to bottom of page

http://www.*****/photos.htm

Here's a thread about Labadee in general. Think we'll try the tram.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=527231

Labadee tram pictures:

http://www.webshots.com/search?media=photo&query=tram+labadee&queryChannel=&sortBy=&source=search_menu

Well, I've learned alot about Labadee. Guess we'll find out more when we get there!

When are you going to Labadee? Which ship?

Judy thank you so much for all the info. It has kept me busy for hours !! Do you know if the wheelchairs are low to the ground or are they just like a regular chair? If they are low down, I will never be able to get back out of it.

Judy thank you so much for all the info. It has kept me busy for hours !! Do you know if the wheelchairs are low to the ground or are they just like a regular chair? If they are low down, I will never be able to get back out of it.

I was just reading the Princess board and noticed that someone left a message for you. The thread had to do with PD. Hope you don't mind this off topic post.

WOW!!! Thanks for all the information. You really did your research. We never saw the tram when we were there. Maybe they've added it since then!

FYI: The beach wheelchair can be tough to push & it is very hot so it makes it worse. My dh felt uncomfortable letting the staff push him around so we had to do it but we made do!

Hi ND,

Glad to hear that you can push the disabled person around yourself. My husband and I feel strange having to wait on someone to push him around also. Hope I'm strong enough to push through the sand. At least if he gets stuck, he can stand and I can get the chair out.

Do they have towels available? Maybe the chair won't be so hot if lined with a towel.

I'm surprised that you didn't see a tram. When were you there?

Were there any paths with packed sand that a scooter could travel? maybe close to the oceanwhere the sand is wet ?

Thank you Judy. The chair looks perfect.:)

Idoc31. Thank you for the message. I just now answered that post.:)

I'm glad you found the message. Hope you enjoy many more cruises!!

Here's another scooter opinion about Labadee:

post_old.gif August 16th, 2006, 12:57 AM

PelicanBill user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_7473429", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobie1976

I am traveling with two handicapped people, one in an electric wheelchair and the other using a scooter.

Can you please tell me if my friends will be able to get around the various ports of call. It is always a concern leaving disembarking with the scooter and wheelchair. Did you notice any handicapped accessible beaches, transportation, etc.

I know the ports pretty well... In St. Thomas you will have a large shopping area and they can get around fairly well... but shops can be small and crowded with racks, and sometimes there is a single step to get in. In St, Maarten there is not much at the pier. There aren't many taxis or vans equipped to handle scooters or motorized wheelchairs, so it may be best to talk to the shore excursions people about accessible tours. Beach areas, including Labadee, tend to have paved parking areas but degrade to sandy trails quickly. Labadee is pretty hard packed from the pier and for the main road, I think they could get around, but getting on and off the tender would be difficult. If they can transfer on their own a short distance so the chair and scooter can be lifted into the boat that would work. Good luck. The islands haven't done as much as we have in the US for accessibility yet. On a more positive note the newer ships are pretty good with automatic doors and wide corridors.

Carnival Destiny - 10/7/2007 San Juan, St.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St.Lucia, Antigua

RCI Explorer of the Seas 10/6/2006 - St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee

RCI Voyager of the Seas 10/7/2005 - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Freeport

Carnival Glory 1/15/2005 - Key West, Belize, Cozumel, Progreso

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 10/1993 - San Juan, St. Thomas, and ummmmmm

Archived