Ever get to that exasperated and ...

KLLund

Don't really care what it costs but I am going to have a new formal gown that isn't Black, Beige, Champagne .. white .. brown .. etc and doesn't make me look like I am 56 but think I am 26 stage???

Help.. what do you do then ??

Don't really care what it costs but I am going to have a new formal gown that isn't Black, Beige, Champagne .. white .. brown .. etc and doesn't make me look like I am 56 but think I am 26 stage???

I usually find the dress before the event!

BCBG Max Azria has very pretty colorful dresses!

David Meister is sort of a sophisticated conservative sexy.

Tadashi and Kay Unger design for the over 30 something that is sexy.

Can't help you now but I always keep my eye open for formals even if I don't know if there's a cruise on the horizon, that way I'm always prepared.

I'm a tad older than you but glad to hear someone else is tired of the "safe" colors. I went wild and have a tangerine low back with sparklies that now I'm afraid I'll look like I should have a ribbon across my chest and a tiara on my head.:o

Don't worry, there's something waiting out there for you and you'll know it when you see it.

I usually find the dress before the event!

BCBG Max Azria has very pretty colorful dresses!

David Meister is sort of a sophisticated conservative sexy.

Tadashi and Kay Unger design for the over 30 something that is sexy.

I also buy dresses when I see them rather than when I need them.

I enjoy David Meister, Tadashi and Kay Unger, for the reasons Blue Herons mentions. While I love color, I most often end up with black.:o

While I love color, I most often end up with black.:o

I don't have a single formal dress, not one. I have separates, mostly black. At size 18, all the formal dress choices I've seen make me look like my grandmother!:p Am I missing a good spot to find plus-size formals??? I'd love an actual formal for our cruise in November. (Of course, I always say I'm going to lose before I cruise. It never happens.:o )

I looked EVERYWHERE before my son's wedding in March for a baby-PINK formal. I ended up in a pink jacket with a floaty skirt underneath. Not very formal, but I didn't have much choice. Fortunately, the mother-of-the-bride, who wears a size 2, looked WORSE. Heh. She wore a small white floral with a white cardigan over it. Am I wrong, or isn't the bride the only one who is supposed to wear white???

Robin

I haven't owned a truly "formal" gown since I stopped being a bridesmaid. :eek: Since then, I have always done formal separates. Even when I was a size 12 (long ago I assure you) I have always had the body issue that my top was smaller than my bottom half. Now as a plus size I still have the same issue so still fancy long skirts or pants and sparkly or chiffony tops. Anyone looking for really dressy stuff for any reason should keep an eye on Stein Mart. They always seem to have stuff I can wear happily.

I must admit, going outside the norm and wearing a bright color will certainly get you noticed. On our last cruise I wore a floor-length red gown completely encrusted in beads. Very sparkly...and very attention-getting. I got compliments all night.:D

My husband wore a red tie to go with my dress, and our pictures came out so good.

However, I just bought a black gown at Dillard's...it has a starburst pattern on the front and back made out of gunmetal-colored sequins and beads. I've been trying to find a pic of it on their website to post it here, but they don't have it. :rolleyes:

I think even if you don't venture "outside the box" with color, a gown with an interesting or unique cut or design also gets attention. Go with a low back to wow 'em as you leave the room....or with a plunging neckline for a great entrance. :D :p A high side-slit also works. Have fun trying on those sexy dresses!

I am sick of black and champagne, too.

When I get to that point, I try some different stores. We live in a small city so there often isn't a lot of choice. However, when I started going outside of my comfort zone I found some great dresses. I have found some fabulous dresses at Cache, but also at Dillards, Nordstrom and Macys. Some of the dresses were really outside of my comfort zone (they're a lot more low cut now that they used to be), so I got a great bra at Victoria's Secret and that made many dresses far more ... um ... uplifting in body and spirit. A lot of the formals are sized much smaller than regular ready-to-wear, so be prepared to try a larger size.

So I guess I'm saying that you just need to get out there and try some different colours and styles. There are some wonderful dresses made for grown women.

Archived