Panorama Pictures from Serenade of the Seas Alaska Cruise

Paulmj

We just returned from the August 8th sailing of the Serenade of the Seas to Alaska.

I've posted up a series of panoramic pictures taken on this cruise at:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/serenade_alaska

Prior to the cruise, we spent a few days in the Banff & Lake Louise area of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta. We took a Hummer tour of the nearby mountians.

Panoramic Pictures from the Canadian Rockies can be found at:

http://www.pbase.com/paulmj/canadian_rockies

Enjoy.

Paulmj, I just asked the following question on a previous thread and then saw where you had posted your pictures here...so here's my question again:

"Paulmj - Loved your pictures, too. One question, though, if you are reading these posts. Did you have an aft balcony cabin? The pictures sailing through Misty Fjords looked like maybe you did. We have an aft booked and am hoping that's what our view will be. I'm also praying we have as beautiful weather as you seemed to have had. We're leaving on the Sept 5th sailing."

Great pictures!!!!My wife and I will be going to Alaska 8/22/04.On your panoramic pictures were those taken with one of those disposable cameras,or do they actually make digital cameras that take panoramic shots..Also on the white pass RR. what side of train to sit on for the best photo shots?Thank you very much!

The panoramas were taken with a $600 digital camera, not a disposable film camera. The panoramas are made from 10 or more digital images stitched together using software.

I hope this answers your question fully.

The best side of the train is the left side. Having said that, going up the mountain, people aim for the left side, and going down you are asked to switch sides so that the view is distributed evenly.

At the top of the summit, the train pulls into a siding. The locomotives are detached, and they go down a parallel track to hook up once again at what had been the rear cars.

The seats flip over so that you're always going "forward".

The very best view if you're going to take pictures is out on the platform at the end of each car. I planted myself there at the outset, and stayed there. All the good pictures that I posted up were from the platform on the left side.

On the way back, I went inside and fell asleep. :-(

Archived