Balcony with Kids

Bigfootz

We leave on RC's Liberty of the Seas this weekend for a 7-night cruise and are booked into a cabin with balcony. We have two boys, a 3-year old and 1-year old, and I would like to lock the balcony doors. I called RC and they said the doors do not lock. From reviewing photos online it appears as though they are sliding doors. Has anyone tried to childproof the doors? Someone recommended putting in a twisting shower curtain rod to lock it. We will be supervising the kids as best we can but just want a little piece of mind.

Thanks!

The shower rod would work but would require bringing one onboard. On our balcony cruise on Carnival they have a lock on the top of the door. You might be able to check your local stores to see if they have a portable / temporary lock for sliding glass doors.

They are full of bull pucky!!!! The doors DO lock! The Freedom and the Liberty are designed the same way. I swear these customer service people have never stepped foot onboard a cruiseship in their life. :rolleyes:

The door has a metal handle that needs to be rotated downward in order to be unlocked. Then you have to pull with all of your might to get the darn thing open. It is too high for a 1 and 3 year old to reach. And my 7 year old couldn't open it. And neither could I at times. ;)

No worries, they aren't getting out there unless you take them out there.

Absolutely! All cruise ship doors lock. You have to lift and turn them in a way that is impossible for a small child. It is sometimes hard for a strapping 42 year old mother!

Take my word for it- your child will not be able to do it. If you are really worried about the kids on the balcony- have the room steward remove the chairs. Then it won't matter- since it would be impossible for them to climb up on the railing.

Then it won't matter- since it would be impossible for them to climb up on the railing.

That's a great point too. THIS is the blacony on Freedom, my kids are 3 and 7. Your 1 and 3 year old wouldn't be able to do anything on this balcony.

IMG_0738.jpg

The doors will lock but I do want to highlight that they are not child proof doors. I'm not saying whether or not a child could open them but just wanted you to be aware they are not a true child proff door. The handle turned a particular way will lock.

Keith

You know 3 year olds can do quite a few things. I wouldn't want to bet the store on that. These are not child proof locks and no 3 year old is the same.

Keith

Ya know, I have one of those houdini 3 year olds. And I can't say I would leave her locked in a cabin alone and trust that she won't figure out the balcony door (obviously...lol)

BUT, I can say with almost 100% certainty that there is NO way a child would have the strength to open one of the balcony doors on Freedom of the Seas even IF they figure out how to unlock it. It seriously took all of my weight (and I am not a small woman) to pull against the door to get it open. And there is no way a child with parents IN the room (unless the parents sleep like the dead) would be able to pull off a feat like that without some serious strength or help from a MUCH older sibling.

I would be really concerned with small children in a balcony cabin. Our family cruised on the NCL Dawn over last Christmas. We had 2 cabins (balcony for DW and I, an outside for our sons ages 29 and 24. Legal drinking age can present problems with adult children, thus the outside for them w/o a balcony.

I would be really concerned with small children in a balcony cabin. Our family cruised on the NCL Dawn over last Christmas. We had 2 cabins (balcony for DW and I, an outside for our sons ages 29 and 24. Legal drinking age can present problems with adult children, thus the outside for them w/o a balcony.

Yeah but there is a big difference between a 1 and 3 year old being physically able to open a balcony door on a Freedom Class ship (that IS the one we are talking about) and the dangers of adult children drinking too much and falling off the balcony. ;)

My only point is that these doors are not childproof and didn't want the poster to think they are. Clearly, no one should leave their child in the room alone but people use the restroom, etc and my point was to not leave the children unattended. Again, my point is that they are not child proof and accidents do happen where people didn't anticipate that they could or would.

And again, not talking about the one year old here but I am talking about 3 year olds and no two three year olds or for that matter no two adults are or act the same.

Keith

Ya know, I have one of those houdini 3 year olds. And I can't say I would leave her locked in a cabin alone and trust that she won't figure out the balcony door (obviously...lol)

BUT, I can say with almost 100% certainty that there is NO way a child would have the strength to open one of the balcony doors on Freedom of the Seas even IF they figure out how to unlock it. It seriously took all of my weight (and I am not a small woman) to pull against the door to get it open. And there is no way a child with parents IN the room (unless the parents sleep like the dead) would be able to pull off a feat like that without some serious strength or help from a MUCH older sibling.

I also want to mention that if I'm giving advice to someone I would error on the conservative end. You say, I can say with almost 100% certainty. To me that's not good enough. Unless you can say with 100% certainty then to me the answer is that they are not childrproof and while it is highly unlikely that they could open up the door since it is not childproof one cannot say this with 100% certainty.

You may think that I am nit picking here but again if the person asked about this obviously they are concerned and as I said the lock is not childproof.

Keith

I also want to mention that if I'm giving advice to someone I would error on the conservative end. You say, I can say with almost 100% certainty. To me that's not good enough. Unless you can say with 100% certainty then to me the answer is that they are not childrproof and while it is highly unlikely that they could open up the door since it is not childproof one cannot say this with 100% certainty.

You may think that I am nit picking here but again if the person asked about this obviously they are concerned and as I said the lock is not childproof.

Keith

Two questions for you, have you ever been on a Freedom class ship? And when's the last time you saw a child go overboard from falling off a balcony?

I am usually the one being overly paranoid on these boards so I DO see your point. But I also see parents come in here every week and ask the same question about the balconies and they want a logical real life answer.

You have parents who are too afraid to allow their kids anywhere near the outside decks. But when's the last time you read about a 3 year old leaping off a deck on a cruiseship pool deck.

I saw one story of an idiot mom who sat her 3 year old on a railing to take a picture and when the child fell, a staff member grabbed the child. THAT was just plan stupid.

The OP of course needs to be cautious and never allow the 3 year old in the cabin alone, and YES that includes the bathroom. But we don't need to scare parents into not getting balcony cabins when they have young children for fear the kids will dive off the balcony

I am a consultant for our county Early Learning Coalition. I go into preschool classrooms and evaluate the learning environment for young children. A lot of that is health and safety. (You can't learn if you are dead!)

While we are very cautious about many things, we are also realistic. We cannot make everything 100% safe. We do expect realistic efforts to prevent harm (such as not setting your child on the rail!). More than anything, though, we look for appropriate supervision. That pays off better than ANY safety measures.

If things needed to be 100% safe, I can promise you that my children couldn't live in our house!

Honestly, I am not trying to scare anyone. I post often and try to be helpful.

My only comments is that the balconies are not child proof. And what you say is key. Not to leave the children alone and if one parent had to use the restroom I would say either to take the other two in their with them or to have the other parent around.

And to be honest I've never seen anyone fall off a balcony but unfortunately have read about this happening to other (yes mainly adults).

All I was trying to do was to say that the sliding glass door is not childrproof. Yes, it's heavy (I have not been on this specific ship) but have sailed on over 20 ships including one by that cruise line, so that was my only point.

So, now we have provided more than enough info. for the OP. If it was me, I would not worry about taking the two kids on the cruise and in the cabin. But, I would keep close to them as I'm sure the OP will do.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

My boys were 8 on our first cruise and on Carnival Ecstasy the railing is a solid metal wall so to see the water you have to look over. Imagine my horror when I walked out there only seconds after the kids and one son was standing in a chair looking over the rail. From that point on, they could not even open the door w/o a grownup right there. Now they are 10.5 and on our next cruise I got the ov with floor to ceiling window because I did not want the stress of a balcony. The older my boys get, the more rambunctious they get. They are quite the climbers and risk takers. I guess it is a boy thing so for me, no balcony means no

worries.:D I would worry far less if mine were 1-3 years old.

Archived