Shoes?

hencoll

I have read the threads about what to pack and rainwear. My question is what is the best type of shoes for everyday outdoor wear in Alaska? Will sneakers be fine or do we need boots? We are not doing any hiking excursions but we are doing the whale watching and Glacial Flightseeing and Dogsledding. TIA

Royal Majesty 93

Celebrity Meridian 97

Carnival Destiny 98

Disney Wonder 2000

NCL Sky 2000

Celebrity Galaxy 2002

Golden Princess 2003

What's Up Next?

Diamond Princess 5/22/04

My hubby wore tennis shoes and I wore an oxford shoe. I think they are called walkables, and they worked out wonderful. Of course in the evening on the ship I wore more dressier shoes especially to formal nights and a very nice loafer the rest of the evenings.

Marilyn

we only took sneakers and dress shoes. Of course, if we had gotten caught in a downpour we would have liked nice sturdy water resistant hiking boots, but we decided to chance not carrying the extra weight. The gamble worked out for us.

I think you will be fine with leather tennis shoes. I wore them sometimes, but more often, I wore those ankle-high camping shoe/boot hybrids that they make now. You can get them pretty cheap. I made sure to get some waterproof sealer (Nik Wax?) and applied it to all my footware. Worked great.

Sears has an awesome selection of Lands End products. Don't have to give up fashion with these awesome and stylish- even colorful- waterproof loafers and boots. I would stop at Sears and check them out. Range in the $30's for women and a great lightweight shoe if caught in the rain.

Good luck and have fun! This is the important part icon_biggrin.gif

*Fantasy 11/97;12/00;12/01

*MS Destiny 7/98;9/00

*Sov. of the Seas 9/98;9/99;5/00;1/04

*Majesty of the Seas 3/01;5/02

*Fascination 5/01

*Celebrity Millenium 1/02

*Navigator of Seas 11/02

*Grandeur of the Seas 5/03

*Explorer of Seas 9/03

*Disney Wonder 11/03

*Radiance of the Seas 5/04

*Mariner of the Seas 11/04

GOTTA LUV CRUZIN'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;05;28;13;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until ALASKA!! Mama's trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;11;07;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Mariner of the Seas

We have worn leather tennis shoes all over Alaska and they were just fine. Have been there twice for a total of over a month. (We do not hike but do walk.)

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

I wear hiking shoes. They are a cross between tennis shoes & hiking boots. My hubby calls them my sport utility shoes. They are just great for all excursions. Mine are made by Nike.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until I am back on the Infinity

Thanks for your responses. I do own a pair of the Lands End All Weather Mocs, I think those and my leather sneakers will be perfect for outdoor wear.

Royal Majesty 93

Celebrity Meridian 97

Carnival Destiny 98

Disney Wonder 2000

NCL Sky 2000

Celebrity Galaxy 2002

Golden Princess 2003

What's Up Next?

Diamond Princess 5/22/04

Lands End mocs are great (okay, they're a Wisconsin company so I'm biased!). I have two pair myself. However, if you need really good support as I do for flat feet, these may not be comfortable for a day of walking or a hike on uneven terrain.

We are doing the rainforest walk at Ketchikan as our only really outdoorsy activity in July. I bought "off-road" New Balance sneakers. They have great support and really grippy soles. However, I'm pretty sure they are not rainproof! I'm willing to take the chance. I'm not worried about our other two excursions, the White Pass-Yukon RR and Captain Larry's whale watching.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

Also planning to take my Lands' End mocs. Bought a pair of the hand-sewn ones this year and I find them very comfortable and love the look. Wore them all winter and found them to be warmer than my leather tennis shoes (which I'll take as my back-up).

Archived