Rental Car shuttle to Port of Miami

I am flying into MIA on a Friday for a Liberty of the Seas cruise on Saturday. I wanted to rent a car for Friday and return it to a rental agency that has a shuttle over to the Port of Miami. I know that at one time Avis had a shuttle that picked up from the Port of Miami, but they no longer do. Any advice on which car rental company to use?

Thrifty, Dollar, and Alamo I have shuttles to the port of miami from the rental agency. I am thinking about renting a car from Thrifty. I am wondering about fast and efficient the shuttles are.

I was told by the Dollar rep that they had service to the Port of Miami, but when I went on the web site it indicated that they only had pick-up not drop off. It is difficult to get the actual number to the local rental location and get accurate information. I'll give Alamo and Thrifty a try.

I was surprised to hear that they had so many drop off locations in such a small area- I'll try and speak with someone in the local agency and hopefully get something on the books.

I know my SIL rented from a MIA car company and returned it to FLL and had no surcharges.

Thanks

Thanks for the additional board info- I searched the airline board prior to posting on RC but did not see anything that was helpful.

I did speak with someone at Dollar that clarified the Pick-up only statement on the web sites. I suppose it means that there is round trip shuttle service but no counter service available at the location.

I guess the last thing I want to do is get a rental car and then go to drop it off and find out I have to pay a cab on top of what I spent on the rental.

Used both Enterprise and Alamo week before last. Picked up at FLL, dropped at Enterprise/Port of Miami, which is really Miami airport. They had a shuttle to the port-- about 20-25 mins. Initially told us that it only ran "on the hour" but after we complained that no one ever mentioned that (else we would have timed our return differently), one showed up after 10 mins.

After the cruise, we used Alamo. Waited a while for the shuttle bus at the port, but it eventually showed up (and filled up). Their "Port of Miami" location is also the airport so be forewarned.

Sounds like Hertz would be a good deal if they are actually only a mile from the Port. Are they the only ones not at the airport?

About Hertz...possibly....we have just found them convenient...we have rented at FLL and returned downtown and MIA and same. I had to figure out which location it was downtown...know it ends with HLE ....but anyways can look it up. Not a large place since it is downtown in a parking deck/office building. But, the shuttle was easy, quick and the such.

When we go this December for a January 2nd cruise....we will be 'stuck' in the hotel. Doubletree but we can use the Metro Mover, and cabs. Just as easy as renting a car this time.

Lou

Used Alamo in May with no problems - both ways. When dropping off your car, there is a special waiting place for the bus to the port. Ride was no longer than 10 minutes. When heading back to the ship there is a special pick-up place to wait. The shuttle goes to Carnival first, then NCL and then RCCL. Bus is pretty full by RCCL.

Archived