Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Thank you for your ?kind? suggestions.

There is no way my hubby will consent to wearing a silk scarf unless we are playing naughty pirate and lusty wench. I am sorry to say that is out of the question right now;)

Of course I could tell him to tuff it up and be a man. Wear a suit and tie whether you feel like or not. Don't you realize the other passengers cruise depends upon how you dress two nights out of eight!

But I don't choose to.

He will be one of the 25% that dress the way they are most comfortable.

If any of the fashion police who swoon at the sight of a golf shirt on formal night are on my cruise I apologize in advance:o .

I have to apologize because I was the first person to mention ballcaps... and shame on me because I myself have been through chemotherapy. :o

I remember going to a formal dinner that the hospital puts on every year, and I actually found a wig already made into a French twist for me to wear with my gown. My first throught was for the men going through chemo and what they have to choose from, because the men's wigs, what little they have, are disastrous. In fact, the cancer society puts out an entire catalogue of wigs, hats and scarves for women but nothing for men. :(

Perhaps, but it's a sad day when people don't have the compassion to see past a set of dress codes when someone is going through something like chemo.

John

Let's see, uh this is an online message board how would I know what her or her husband's private health concerns are? She neglected to put forth that information when baiting the board.:rolleyes:

ok so we've morphed from attire to tipping... shall I segue next into smuggling alcohol or smoking in cabins? :p

I like sitting in my cabin on formal nights.

I sit there in my tux drinking smuggled Polish Vodka and smoking one cig after another. Then I order from room service and stiff the person that delivers my meal and take the diningroom tip off my account also.......LOL:eek: ;)

I say it is "MY" vacation and "I" can do anything "I" want..."I" paid for it........Soory...I got to go relieve myself now...LOL:rolleyes:

They should state it as they do. They should turn away those that don't abide.

If you don't want to dress for formal night, order room service. I haven't cruised Carnival yet, but on Princess you can always go to the casual buffet or even the Caribe Cafe for a sit down ordered meal.

Unfortunately, Carnival does not have hot food on their room service menu and the only other option is a horrible buffet--school cafeteria style. Our last cruise we noticed there was only one dessert selection: yellow cake with white frosting. Their lunch buffet on the other hand is great. I always pack a ziplock bag so I can fill it with cookies during the lunch buffet.

Since there are so many cruising with Carnival who dislike dressing up?? just whom are they targeting the advertising to? Isn't that sort of thing for the majority??

paid models..my sis is one of those..as I have been also..Of course they want upscale looking people to attract same..the $ $pending public that cruises. Everyone wants to be where good looking people are..Do you ever see badly dressed un-attractive persons trying to $ell large ticket items??....nooooooowah....But times have changed since the good old days of "crossing"..appealing to maases in any income strata..I still just go for me, for me, for me :D

I like sitting in my cabin on formal nights.

I sit there in my tux drinking smuggled Polish Vodka and smoking one cig after another. Then I order from room service and stiff the person that delivers my meal and take the diningroom tip off my account also.......LOL:eek: ;)

I say it is "MY" vacation and "I" can do anything "I" want..."I" paid for it........Soory...I got to go relieve myself now...LOL:rolleyes:

And make sure you relieve yourself in the pool ;)

Uh, no kidding, thanks for the backup.:) That was a total set-up by this poster and they know it. Very unkind to throw out the ball cap as if he your husband was wearing it in order to make a point, not because he has cancer. If we want to compare cancer stories we can do that anyday, my MIL died 5 years ago from cancer and I would never use her memory and the fact that she too wore hats and scarves in order to deliberately provoke the kind of answers you got.:( :( O f course there are exceptions to the rule, but as another poster pointed out perhaps a more elegant hat would be in order.

Cali, we were supposed to remember what we read 6 pages ago:rolleyes: . I truly truly feel for the person that posted about the ball caps. Maybe she did leave it out on purpose, and if she did, I fell for it too. However, a very important point was made in that you don't know what people are going through, and I do feel like a donkey. I still disagree with a ball cap - there are plenty of other hat styles.

So what dogs are you seeing tonight? I'm seeing the same pic of the 3 dogs on the bed :)

Let's see, uh this is an online message board how would I know what her or her husband's private health concerns are? She neglected to put forth that information when baiting the board.:rolleyes:

this same scenario just happened on another thread too. non-disclosure by the OP, then disclosure after, causing at least one poster to "pipe in" at the "safe" after-the fact 11th hour. some people just like to fight.

Here's my 2 cents.....

I don't care if there is a formal night or not. It's nice, and something we don't get to do much at home, but I'll survive if it goes by the wayside.

Having said that, if I choose to cruise Carnival and Carnival has formal nights, then I will abide by Carnival's rules/requests or seek alternative dining.

I really don't understand why others won't do the same.

I'm often dumbstruck by people's lack of concern for decorum. Today was a prime example. I went to a funeral and people showed up in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. Honestly, have a little respect.:rolleyes:

Having said that, if I choose to cruise Carnival and Carnival has formal nights, then I will abide by Carnival's rules/requests or seek alternative dining.

I really don't understand why others won't do the same.

I'm often dumbstruck by people's lack of concern for decorum. Today was a prime example. I went to a funeral and people showed up in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. Honestly, have a little respect.:rolleyes:

EXACTLY. Nobody has yet answered my question as to why they cruise Carnival if "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to wear." Guess they don't really have a reason.

T-shirts, shorts, and flip flops at a funeral!?! WTH???

this same scenario just happened on another thread too. non-disclosure by the OP, then disclosure after, causing at least one poster to "pipe in" at the "safe" after-the fact 11th hour. some people just like to fight.

Well if ya guys would stay on top of the readin:D

No.... instead ya just barge on in unannounced and throw your 2 cents in without following the whole thread:rolleyes: :D :)

What are we gonna do with ya:confused:

I don't think she purposely baited the board, because she did mention it in an earlier post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10620166&postcount=64

Granted, that was a few pages back, and this is a fast moving thread so many don't remember seeing it. I just think this is an example of why we (myself included) should possibly think twice before we judge the appearance of others. I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but if we can learn to show a little compassion rather than judgment (especially over a small issue such as a dress code), then maybe our cruising world will be a little friendlier place to be.

Just my last 2 cents on the subject.

John

There was no non-disclosure I said it from the very beginning I have posted more than once on this thread I posted on # 64 or #65. I repeated something again afterwards. This is not bait and switch I did not know YOU would not remember. I said he was very ill. I also said it is none of mine or anyone else's business what other paying passengers on a cruise ship wear to dinner. It will not ruin your fine dining experience if you mind your own business and keep your face turned to your friends and loved ones where it belongs. IF you are so insecure that you can not have an excellent evening because a complete stranger wears something YOU don't feel is appropriate than too bad.

There you have succeeded in making me reply in a mean fashion. I have been attacked because some of you can't remember what you have read and then feel you have the right to preach to me.

I already feel bad for mouthing off but I won't apologize you don't deserve it.

Those who have ridiculed or attacked me are the ones who wanted an argument.

My OP was to emphasize that no one knows everyone else's story I stand by that assertion.

No.... instead ya just barge on in unannounced and throw your 2 cents in without following the whole thread

Make 'em walk the plank Kurbanfan:rolleyes:

EXACTLY. Nobody has yet answered my question as to why they cruise Carnival if "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to wear." Guess they don't really have a reason.

Obviously the it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to wear" types haven't piped up because they were at a funeral. :rolleyes:

You should know with your cruiseing experience that for the most part people do dress for formal night. Take a looky at the poll......

I would love for people to wear shorts and flip flops at my funeral.

As I'm sure Jimmy Buffett would too....

Different strokes for different folks:D

You should know with your cruiseing experience that for the most part people do dress for formal night. Take a looky at the poll......

I would love for people to wear shorts and flip flops at my funeral.

As I'm sure Jimmy Buffett would too....

Different strokes for different folks:D

I do know that. I want to know about the 25% though:)

And if that's the type of funeral you want, that's awesome! I did consider the possibility, but I doubt the person would have posted anything if it wasn't a traditional funeral.

Cali, we were supposed to remember what we read 6 pages ago:rolleyes: . I truly truly feel for the person that posted about the ball caps. Maybe she did leave it out on purpose, and if she did, I fell for it too. However, a very important point was made in that you don't know what people are going through, and I do feel like a donkey. I still disagree with a ball cap - there are plenty of other hat styles.

So what dogs are you seeing tonight? I'm seeing the same pic of the 3 dogs on the bed :)

Hey Chigirl, I agree I don't exactly keep tabs on the people on this message board. Other than True, Kurban and now you.:D I am of course sorry for her DH, who wouldn't be? I don't think you should feel like a donkey, I surely don't. Ball caps shouldn't be worn inside or at the dinner table, if you have a medical condition then exceptions can be made, however there are certainly a myriad of choices out there to cover one's head other than a basic ball cap. This is coming from someone who's dad walked her down the aisle, went to the country club for the reception only to find him sporting his Giants hat and sunglasses w/ his tux. We made him take it off for pictures and he did not wear it inside. Some have suggested that by thinking it is not ok to wear a ball cap at dinner that we are insensitive to people's health needs, well I will remember that when I head down to local cancer chapter and donate my time and my money, which is what I do several times a year.:cool:

No.... instead ya just barge on in unannounced and throw your 2 cents in without following the whole thread

Hey Kurban, I am going to send all my twins over to visit you.:eek: :D :p

Sometimes it is so hard to rememeber everyone's stories and opinions, I guess I should be better at remembering what perfect strangers replied pages back about.

well, i don't think i commented on dining attire at all in this thread, actually.

my comment, in defense of cali, was in reference to what one poster said to me after an OP disclosed some personal info on another thread.

no one asked the OP to post any personal info, we just wanted to know what the major saftey concern was. the question cld have been easily answered w/o disclosing such info which i didn't need (or even want) to know (none of my business).

this poster, she knows who she is (blah, blah, blah, LMAO:D ) took it as an opportunity to say "how dare you force her to tell this." comical, actually since no one forced anyone to do anything and since some are so bold and brazen after the fact.:rolleyes: still can't figure out what she was trying to accomplish w/ that post:confused:.

There was no non-disclosure....

mamaskittles...i didn't read past the first line of your post (yet), b/c i have a feeling that i wldn't like it. i didn't say anything about your DH, other than to extend a cursory good wish in one of my posts earlier after having gotten a whiff of some of the content on here...

...and, i have NOT been following your trials and tribulations on this thread or anywhere else. don't bash. i bash back.:rolleyes:

There was no non-disclosure I said it from the very beginning I have posted more than once on this thread I posted on # 64 or #65. I repeated something again afterwards. This is not bait and switch I did not know YOU would not remember. I said he was very ill. I also said it is none of mine or anyone else's business what other paying passengers on a cruise ship wear to dinner. It will not ruin your fine dining experience if you mind your own business and keep your face turned to your friends and loved ones where it belongs. IF you are so insecure that you can not have an excellent evening because a complete stranger wears something YOU don't feel is appropriate than too bad.

There you have succeeded in making me reply in a mean fashion. I have been attacked because some of you can't remember what you have read and then feel you have the right to preach to me.

My OP was to emphasize that no one knows everyone else's story I stand by that assertion.

Sorry if you cannot understand where I am coming from, but I don't remember everything everybody says. To me it appeared that you were looking for a reaction, got one and then used it to say "see you shouldn't judge people." It doesn't matter to me in the least what others wear, it just boggles my mind that some don't seem to care that formal means wear nicer clothes. This somehow has become about wheather cancer patients can wear ball caps in the dining room, which is not what this is about. What it is about is, if you are able to, barring any medical or lost luggage problems, you should dress up and not come in looking like you just woke up and instead should respect Carnival's wishes. Period, end of story, this is not about sick people. As I have said earlier, I broke a bone in my foot in 3 places, was in a wedding, wore my dress, one stilleto, and cruthes. Did the best I could given the circumstances I was in. There is also a big difference in a man coming into the dining room dressed nicely sporting a hat as opposed to the same man wearing shorts, tank top, flip-flops, wearing a hat. I think most would assume that the first guy has a pretty damn good reason for wearing his hat.:) Sorry and the best of luck to you and your DH, I have been down this road with a family member and I know how difficult things can be.

well, i don't think i commented on dining attire at all in this thread, actually.

my comment, in defense of cali, was in reference to what one poster said to me after an OP disclosed some personal info on another thread.

no one asked the OP to post any personal info, we just wanted to know what the major saftey concern was. the question cld have been easily answered w/o disclosing such info which i didn't need (or even want) to know (none of my business).

this poster, she knows who she is (blah, blah, blah, LMAO:D ) took it as an opportunity to say "how dare you force her to tell this." comical, actually since no one forced anyone to do anything and since some are so bold and brazen after the fact.:rolleyes: still can't figure out what she was trying to accomplish w/ that post:confused:.

mamaskittles...i didn't read past the first line of your post (yet), b/c i have a feeling that i wldn't like it. i didn't say anything about your DH, other than to extend a cursory good wish in one of my posts earlier after having gotten a whiff of some of the content on here...

...and, i have NOT been following your trials and tribulations on this thread or anywhere else. don't bash. i bash back.:rolleyes:

Hey True, thanks for understanding where I was coming from and taking some heat for it. Wow, things can get so touchy around here. Sounds like you were in a very interesting thread??? How is the computer going? As you can see my twins are still w/ us. However, my oldest dog has been in and out of the vet for the past 2 days. She is 14 years and I've had her since she was 8wks, she is having some liver troubles, so sad. She is not in pain so hopefully the mass amounts of fluids given to her help her otherwise I may have to make a tough choice and one I am not ready for. Just don't want her to be in pain and if she's not then things can continue. Sorry for the babbling. It felt good to write it.

...There you have succeeded in making me reply in a mean fashion. I have been attacked because some of you can't remember what you have read and then feel you have the right to preach to me.

LMAO. i hadn't read a single line of your posts on this thread until now, so you have got me mixed up w/ someone else.

and, i never had any intention of getting you to reply mean. if you knew at all the type of poster i am, or if you looked at my posts, you wld see that i rarely bite back.:rolleyes:

Archived