Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

I say we just flog everyone who doesn't read every single post on a thread so as they might not offend someone.......

Can I get an "Amen" ????????;)

i never even responded to her FTLOG. :D :p this is a true testament to how some of those, like mamaskittles, have blown up without even reading the thread themselves LOL. [tell me, mamaskittles, how cld you remember me writing to you when i never did?]:rolleyes:

i only spoke to her to convey good wishes, then i referenced her, indirectly, if at all, in defense of cali getting blasted that, stating that i had gotten the same flack from someone else, somewhere else.

i was not a part of this thread apart from the twin dogs, i think, and this.

some people need to get a grip, take a chill pill, step away from the 'puter, and lower their blood pressure before they pop a vein.:rolleyes:

T-shirts, shorts, and flip flops at a funeral!?! WTH???

That's exactly what I thought.

I would love for people to wear shorts and flip flops at my funeral.

Frankly, I would love a party atmosphere at my funeral as well. However, this woman was 81 yrs old, old fashioned and very proper. This event had been pre-paid and planned for a number of years. It was her "big day".

I'm surprised she didn't sit up in the coffin and slap the snot out of those people who came so crudely dressed to her big day.

At any rate, back OT, I think folks should dress properly for any event. Including formal night.

i never even responded to her FTLOG. :D :p this is a true testament to how some of those, like mamaskittles, have blown up without even reading the thread themselves LOL. [tell me, mamaskittles, how cld you remember me writing to you when i never did?]

i only spoke to her to convey good wishes, then i referenced her, indirectly, if at all, in defense of cali getting blasted that, stating that i had gotten the same flack from someone else, somewhere else.

some people need to get a grip, take a chill pill, step away from the 'puter, and lower their blood pressure before they pop a vein.:rolleyes:

I only used your post for the non-disclosure part. I should have edited better, I apologize for that. I do not know how to use multiple quotes or I would have referenced the other 2 cruisers who posted negatively at the time.

I did state (I know,no one read any of my posts except for the words "ball cap":p ) that I and the rest of my family would dress very nicely as we always do. I also believe everyone should dress nicely. But I am not the arbiter of that and neither are any of you for that matter. The cruiseline is, and by their own actions or inactions people wear whatever they wear.

I will never believe that someone else's attire can influence my enjoyment of dinner.

My original post and all subsequent ones (except the mean one which I regretted as soon as I posted it) ( I know, I know you never read a word ) were with the intention of illustrating that no one here can have all the facts so it is better to let it go and enjoy cruising.

There are many hot button issues on this board that do influence others enjoyment of their cruise. The paying passenger 9 tables over in jeans and a tee should not be one of them.

The posters that say if you want an exclusive upscale environment for dinner, cruise a line that ensures that experience, are correct.

The posters that write if you choose Carnival you should abide by their guidelines are also correct.

Carnival by their own inaction has decided the issue. Almost everyone on almost every cruise is admitted into the dining room by the employee of Carnival charged with making that decision.

We should give it up and leave it alone. Carnival is not going to change and the fashion police are always going to accuse the down dressers of being raised by wolves. The downdressers are always going to call the fashion police snobs. And the Carnival big wigs are laughing all the way to the bank as we keep on cruising.

No one is going to win here. I shouldn't have been mean but neither should any of you.

Now lets talk about foo-foo drinks and all the rest of the important stuff.

By the way that lady on the other thread was way off base. And the OP was definitely trying to bait the board. I wasn't, you just forgot all about me or never cared about me at all:p lol.

Thank you for your ?kind? suggestions.

There is no way my hubby will consent to wearing a silk scarf unless we are playing naughty pirate and lusty wench. I am sorry to say that is out of the question right now;)

Of course I could tell him to tuff it up and be a man. Wear a suit and tie whether you feel like or not. Don't you realize the other passengers cruise depends upon how you dress two nights out of eight!

But I don't choose to.

He will be one of the 25% that dress the way they are most comfortable.

If any of the fashion police who swoon at the sight of a golf shirt on formal night are on my cruise I apologize in advance:o .

attitude at certain levels - I'll do it my way 'so there' ...!!

Disappointing but not unexpected.. :0/

i never even responded to her FTLOG. :D this is a true testament to how some of those, like mamaskittles, have blown up without even reading the thread themselves LOL. [tell me, mamaskittles, how cld you remember me writing to you when i never did?]:rolleyes:

Truecruiser since I am the one from "somewhere else" ;) that called you out on the other thread I have to distinguish these two situations. On that thread, your response was an attack, regardless of whether or not the safety issue was disclosed. I was calling you out on the unprovoked attack, because it was simply rude. The fact that a sensitive issue was invloved only made it worse, but was not the sole issue I had with your post.

There seems to be a pervasive tendency on these boards to dish it out but not be able to take it. Not saying this applies to you personally, but many people who are bold behind the computer screen and throw the first punch are baffled when there is a counter-attack. I am not sure why this happens but it is probably contrary to the site's mission, which I assume is to promote free exchange of information about cruising. An unprovoked attack makes people hestitant to post or to start threads which defeats the purpose of this entire site.

Truecruiser, I don't think you are a bad person, in fact most times I think you are very funny. I am guessing you probably don't realize that your posts sometimes come across as flaming, which is understandable since all we have to express tone and body language on these boards are a total of 11 smilies. Maybe I misread your tone because you use the :rolleyes: a lot, but if you ask yourself whether or not you would say some of the things you post here to a person's face, maybe you see where I am coming from?

Actually I found mamaskittles' pirate comment very funny and took it as a joke rather than "attitude". ;)

Evidently some people have no sense of humor......or could it be read it wrong:confused:

I also thought her comment was funny!

Truecruiser since I am the one from "somewhere else" ;) that called you out on the other thread I have to distinguish these two situations. On that thread, your response was an attack, regardless of whether or not the safety issue was disclosed. I was calling you out on the unprovoked attack, because it was simply rude. The fact that a sensitive issue was invloved only made it worse, but was not the sole issue I had with your post.

There seems to be a pervasive tendency on these boards to dish it out but not be able to take it. Not saying this applies to you personally, but many people who are bold behind the computer screen and throw the first punch are baffled when there is a counter-attack. I am not sure why this happens but it is probably contrary to the site's mission, which I assume is to promote free exchange of information about cruising. An unprovoked attack makes people hestitant to post or to start threads which defeats the purpose of this entire site.

Truecruiser, I don't think you are a bad person, in fact most times I think you are very funny. I am guessing you probably don't realize that your posts sometimes come across as flaming, which is understandable since all we have to express tone and body language on these boards are a total of 11 smilies. Maybe I misread your tone because you use the :rolleyes: a lot, but if you ask yourself whether or not you would say some of the things you post here to a person's face, maybe you see where I am coming from?

no. you did not misread my tone. the :rolleyes: was intentionally used regarding the safety issue, not her child. this was made abundently clear in my later posts. and, if you did not get that, well, so be it.

however, there was never any "bullying" to obtain personal information from that poster. the fact that she disclosed this at all is still a mystery to me. there a million other ways the thread cld have been worded w/o going into that subject matter.

so, the fact that you blamed her disclosure of personal details on me forcing her was ridiculous, and it ticked me off. to me, your post was made only for the sole purpose of starting a fight, which you did BTW.

bottom line, don't blame other posters (any other posters) b/c of the way an OP words his or her posts. and, pls don't say that those that dish it out can't take it. i, for one, have no problem fessing up to the fact that i was sarcastic, for the reasons noted in that thread. so, trust me, i don't need a keyboard to have a backbone. remember, you're not the only "type a" personality attorney on these boards. difference is some of us don't like to start unwarranted fights. now, we shld let this die and we shld both move on. wldn't you agree?

remember, you're not the only "type a" personality attorney on these boards. difference is some of us don't like to start unwarranted fights. now, we shld let this die and we shld both move on. wldn't you agree?

Agreed :) but I must say, I am WAY too much of a procrastinator to be "Type A", I am actually more of an A- or B+ ;)

By the way, who are the other Type A attorneys? Maybe we can get a firm together and call it Rather, Cruz & Sayle. :D

Agreed :) but I must say, I am WAY too much of a procrastinator to be "Type A", I am actually more of an A- or B+

By the way, who are the other Type A attorneys? Maybe we can get a firm together and call it Rather, Cruz & Sayle. :D

okay, LMAO.:D glad to see it's over. and no, i'm not buying that you are a B+, unless you are a tax attorney, and even then that wld be a hard sell. :p atty and type A are like peanut butter and jelly, LOL. it's an occupational hazard which comes w/ the territory. it's just a fact. trust me, i know.;)

okay, LMAO.:D glad to see it's over. and no, i'm not buying that you are a B+, unless you are a tax attorney, and even then that wld be a hard sell. :p atty and type A are like peanut butter and jelly, LOL. it's an occupational hazard which comes w/ the territory. it's just a fact. trust me, i know.;)

TAX ATTORNEY? Good God no, I took Tax Law pass-fail in law school and still don't get depreciation... don't even do my own taxes. Around here we call tax attorneys "accountants with a law degree" ;) I am mostly a divorce attorney but also do a lot of law guardian cases representing kids in Family Court.

In all honesty mammaskittles, I do want to pose a question.

Prior to having the cancer, would you DH be one of the men that balk at getting dressed up?

Because there are posters here who personally knew of people with illness that get dressed to the nines regardless of their illness, it leads me to wonder if the type of person who likes to get dressed up will get dressed up no matter what, and will the person who really would rather not, is going to dress down because since they're sick they now feel they 'can'.

Not accusing here, just asking. I'm genuinely curious and hope you would give an honest answer.

As far as comfort, I do have no idea what your DH's illness has affected and have no right to say that he should suck it up and wear a jacket...I'd never do that. But having a nearly bald husband myself, and knowing the percentage of men who are follically challenged ;) , I still have to wonder about the ballcap.

For us it boils down to the basics - it you are going to have ANY rule - enforce it (also applies to other laws...). If you don't like the rule, get it changed. "Civil disobedience" on vacation - not our style...

Everyone is advised well before the sailing date what the "rules" are. There are lots of dining options if you'd rather not participate. No one is forcing you to go!

We tend to "vote with our feet" (and our $$$). If we don't like something we don't come back. If the majority of cruisers did not want a formal night and did not go to the dining room on those nights, they would change their policy... offer it as an option / split the dining room / ??? whatever.

BTW - the only really nice pictures of DW and I we have of us in our house came from "formal nights". Both of us absolutely hate having our pictures taken - and remove most taken VERY quickly from the display areas. We feel no obligation to buy at all! About once a cruise, from the kazillion pictures that are taken, we find one we can live with...

My .02

But having a nearly bald husband myself, and knowing the percentage of men who are follically challenged ;) , I still have to wonder about the ballcap.

Interesting point, especially since shaving off the "laurel wreath of shame" and going totally bald has become so stylish among men. I remember a Seinfeld episode where Elaine's boyfriend had always shaved his head, tried growing it back in and when it didn't all come back he said "Oh no! I'm bald!!!"

Even I occasionally would go sans chapeau during my chemo days if it was really really hot out, but I had to wear a LOT of makeup to pull off that look... so much of it in fact that if I did put a wig on later I would look like a hooker ;)

Enforce ... no. People should be mature enough to follow the dress code without being reminded. It amazes me that this is an issue.

Unfortunately, people have to be reminded. If there is going to be a formal night, then people must dress appropriately. Dress slacks and a shirt and tie aren't to much to ask. If I don't feel like getting dressed up, ZI can always go to the Lido deck.

Interesting point, especially since shaving off the "laurel wreath of shame" and going totally bald has become so stylish among men.

That's exactly what I was thinking. My BIL did it about 3 years ago. Personally, I think it's probably a lot of work to maintain it, but he likes it better and to be honest, he looks 10 years younger since he did it.

A woman being bald is a different story. With a man, no one would give a second glance. Now if a man's got a baseball cap on in the dining room, casul or formal night, it's sure to turn heads. Dining with a cap on anywhere is disrespectful where I come from, even at your own table at home.

BUT..I have been told many times on these boards that I must have lived with the dinosaurs :rolleyes: because of my old school beliefs.

Dressing down for a function that should be more formal (wearing a tee shirt and flip flops to a funeral is just not right IMO) and my new shock....I was in Boston for a Red Sox game and took the 'T' to Fenway . I hadn't been on public transportation in quite a while and was ASTOUNDED and totally appalled that there is no more respect when it comes to elderly people getting on and younger folks giving up their seats (and no, smart azzes, I wasn't talking about someone giving their seat up for me :p ) I'm talking 60-70 year old people holding onto bars while standing, and teenagers and young adults seated...pissed me off BIG time.

People aren't just 'me, me, me' about what they're wearing on their vacation, they're 'me, me, me' altogether.

"By the way, who are the other Type A attorneys? Maybe we can get a firm together and call it Rather, Cruz & Sayle."

If they all come with your new firm, their old firm Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe would have to close.

[i actually met a used car salesman named Robin Cheatum.]

Dan

"By the way, who are the other Type A attorneys? Maybe we can get a firm together and call it Rather, Cruz & Sayle."

If they all come with your new firm, their old firm Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe would have to close.

[i actually met a used car salesman named Robin Cheatum.]

Dan

I knew an insurance agent who had the name but spelled in "Cheetham"

Dining with a cap on anywhere is disrespectful where I come from, even at your own table at home.

So I guess we break the golden rule when we eat in the lido buffet or out at a beach restaurant in port with

our caps on:confused: :cool:

In all honesty mammaskittles, I do want to pose a question.

Prior to having the cancer, would you DH be one of the men that balk at getting dressed up?

Because there are posters here who personally knew of people with illness that get dressed to the nines regardless of their illness, it leads me to wonder if the type of person who likes to get dressed up will get dressed up no matter what, and will the person who really would rather not, is going to dress down because since they're sick they now feel they 'can'.

Not accusing here, just asking. I'm genuinely curious and hope you would give an honest answer.

As far as comfort, I do have no idea what your DH's illness has affected and have no right to say that he should suck it up and wear a jacket...I'd never do that. But having a nearly bald husband myself, and knowing the percentage of men who are follically challenged ;) , I still have to wonder about the ballcap.

Hee hee follically challenged. :)

I wish I knew how to post pics and the like, to show, but he always dressed and we have taken tons of pics on formal night. He never argues with me and seemed genuinely peacock proud in his fine duds.

I have been trying to convince him that bald is beautiful but so far no-go. Many (most) of his friends have the shaven look but it's not for him. I have tried the argument that he could shave the reminder off himself as a way of taking power over his disease. Nope. For some reason this really bothers him.

On the cruise I will pack whatever I think is best. I know he won't wear a tie cos the meds make him a little gaggy and that will set him off. I am aiming for a nice resort casual look, a sport coat, elastic waist golf slacks or khakis, a nice Bobby Jones type polo, and hopefully his proud and baldie head.

BTW I was joking about the pirate, it's actually the sheik and the maiden we play with silk scarves:D

So I guess we break the golden rule when we eat in the lido buffet or out at a beach restaurant in port with

our caps on:confused: :cool:

Are you eating inside or outside??

Inside means caps off to me, but like I said, I roamed with T-rex. :rolleyes:

Are you eating inside or outside??

Inside means caps off to me, but like I said, I roamed with T-rex. :rolleyes:

Let me just say if I'm coming from the pool and go inside and eat at the buffet you will thank me for not taking my hat off........cause sweety nothing's worse then hat hair:eek: :eek:

Archived