The 2007 RCI Travel Agent Guide Adventure Ocean/Babysitting FAQ

Adventure Ocean FAQ 2007-2008 Version

Once again, this comes straight from the RCI Travel Agent’s Guide, so don’t blame me for inaccuracies. However, do blame me for typos, as I’m sure there will be plenty! LOL Here it is….

Every year, more and more kids are sailing with Royal Caribbean International. One of the big reasons is our complimentary, award-winning Adventure Ocean Program. We combine a little education and voila – Edu-tainment! The program is broken down into five different age groups with activities designed accordingly. The younger kids can participate in Art by Crayola and Adventure Science Activities, while teens can hang out in a less-structured atmosphere.

The People Behind the Program

In addition to keeping your kids thoroughly entertained, our Adventure Ocean staff members have each been specially trained to keep your kids safe. Each staff member holds a four-year degree in education, recreation, or a related major from an accredited college or university. All are certified in CPR. Staff members have an extensive background in working with groups of children ages 3-17, and from three to five years’ experience working in team situations. So relax – your kids are in good hands.

Fisher Price Playgroups for Aqua Babies & Aqua Tots

We now have a program designed specifically for our youngest cruisers. We’ve teamed up with the early childhood development experts from Fisher-Price to create playgroups for parents with children ages 6 months to 3 years. Fun, age-appropriate activity sessions have a variety of themes that encourage little ones to explore and make new discoveries. Parents must accompany their children in playgroups.

Build & Grow With Lowe’s

In partnership with Lowe’s, Royal Caribbean has introduced a new, unprecedented onboard family experience. The Lowe’s Build & Grow program, currently offered in Lowe’s locations on land, is now offered onboard our ships. Lowe’s has provided kits consisting of materials to build a small wooden ship as well as child-sized aprons, goggles and certificates of completion. This program has proved to be a successful onboard family experience.

Aquanats (Ages 3-5)

Activities include participating in Adventure Art by Crayola, which offers children the opportunity to be creative while learning about the art, history, and culture of the places they visit. They can also join our Adventure Scientists for Space Mud and Bubbling Potions, and have a ball at Pirate Night, Camp Aquanata and sail into Storytime..

Children must be three years of age, toilet trained, and pull-up diaper free to participate in the program and enter the facilities. There are no exceptions. All activities are fully supervised and all activities prior to 10pm are complimentary.

Exploreres (Ages 6-8)

The Adventure Science Program for Explorers includes activities like the Wacky Water Workshop and Staggering Through the Stars. Explorers can also enjoy Adventure Art by Crayola, which provides creative that acquaint kids with diverse cultures through art. They can also test their star power at the Wacky Olympics and Talent Show.

Voyagers (Ages 9-11)

The Voyager program includes cool activities like X-Games, karaoke, Adventure Challenge Series, and Adventure Science Programs: Volcanoes and Fossil Fever. Once on shore at our private destinations, Voyagers can participate in beach relays, tug-of-war, and a waterballoon toss.

Navigators (Ages 12-14)

With a less-structured atmosphere, the Navigator program is designed for kids who are a bit older. Although our youth staff members host all activities, Navigators can come and go as they please. Activities include Scavenger Hunts, Adventure Sports, and a Video Game Challenge.

Guests (Ages 15-17)

This program gives our soon-to-be adults more freedom. Events are hosted until the wee hours of the night, and guests can come and go at their leisure. Activities include the teens-only nightclub, Hot Tub Party, themed parties, Battle of the Sexes, and Movie Night. Guests can even enjoy fun, nonalcoholic beverages from the Mocktail Menu in the teens-only nightclub.

The Living Room and Fuel

These are two great places where teens can get away from it all. The Living Room has a laid-back atmosphere so teens can hang out and relax, and Fuel is our exclusive teen nightclub and theme party where teens can gather, dance, and enjoy the music. Just a few more reasons why Real Simple magazine named us “Top Cruise Line for Families with Teen.” The Living Room and Fuel are available on select ships.

Fun for the Whole Family – Adventure Family Activities

The idea is for kids and their parents to get together and participate in fun activities like karaoke, a talent show, and bingo – everyone gets the chance to win some really cool prizes. Family beach games are also played shoreside. These activities are a great opportunity for parents and kids to spend more time together and have fun while they’re at it.

All activities listed on this page are not available on all ships.

Frequently Asked Questions

Royal Caribbean’s Adventure Ocean program is one of the most comprehensive youth activity programs in the vacation industry. Run by exceptional, energetic, and college-educated staff, the program is tailored to fit five separate age groups. The Adventure Ocean program is included in the price of your cruise vacation, so all activities are free!

Frequently Asked Questions about Adventure Ocean

Q: What are the program hours?

A: At Sea: 9am to 12pm/2pm to 5pm/7pm to 10pm. Dinner:6pm to 7pm (on certain nights). In Port: Thirty minutes prior to the first shore excursion until 5pm, and 7pm to 10pm. Late Night Party Zone: 10pm-1am (There is a $5 charge per hour/per child for the Late Night Party Zone only.

Q: What are the hours of programming for ages 12-17?

A: Activities for teens are offered throughout the day. Times may vary.

Q: Are there special dinners for kids?

A: Yes. On certain evenings the youth staff supervise dinner for kids ages 3-11. Special dinners are also planned for 12-14 and 15-17 year olds.

Q: Is swimming included in the Adventure Ocean program?

A: No. However children are allowed to swim at any time with adult supervision.

Q: Is there a special area on the ship for kids?

A: All Royal Caribbean International ships have a supervised youth center for children. The center features video games, toys, movies, books, and other activities.

Q: Is there a special area on the ship for teens?

A: All Royal Caribbean ships, except Empress of the Seas, have teen nightclubs that feature video screens, music, a dance floor and lounge area, games, and other activities.

Q: Are there video arcades on the ships? Is there a fee?

A: There are traditional video arcades on all Royal Caribbean ships. There is a nominal fee for video tokens.

Q: Can I bring a stroller or a playpen onboard?

A: Yes, as long as it can be stored in a stateroom.

Q: Does Royal Caribbean provide cribs?

A: Yes. Approximate dimensions are 2’ x 3’; availability is limited and crib must be requested in advance.

For more information regarding Royal Caribbean’s Youth Activities Program, please see our Adventure Ocean mini brochure.

Re: Babysitting

Group sitting, known onboard as the Late Night Party Zone, is available on all ships and is supervised by the youth staff. The service is offered from 10:00pm-1:00am in the youth facilities. Children must be three years of age, toilet trained and pull-up diaper free to participate in the program or enter the facilities. Rate is $5 per hour, per child.

In-stateroom sitting must be booked through the Purser’s/Guest Relations Desk at least 24 hours in advance. It cannot be booked prior to the cruise vacation and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered from 8:00am until 2:00am. Children must be at least one year old. Approximate rate: $8/hour for one or two children, within the same family or $10/hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash.

The Lowe's ship building thing was fun. We were the only ones there. We go to Lowe's once a month (twice in the summer) for the latest building project. We also do Home Depot as well.

Cool to see they are still offering AO while in port for those who would like a day break from their kiddos knowing they are in good well qualified supervision.

AND if anyone wants to see copies of the actual activities onboard, I uploaded our kid's compass for AO for the 3-5 and 6-8 year old groups here....

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Royal%20Caribean%20AO%20Compass

This was from Freedom May 07

If anyone has any more they can scan, I will upload them to this site so we can keep them all together. Email me at bmediamom@comcast.net

The Lowe's ship building thing was fun. We were the only ones there. We go to Lowe's once a month (twice in the summer) for the latest building project. We also do Home Depot as well.

Cool to see they are still offering AO while in port for those who would like a day break from their kiddos knowing they are in good well qualified supervision.

Hey flagger!! :) I wish adults could build ships without the kiddos, as we don't have any. LOL We also are Lowe's addicts. We go several times a week. I absolutely LOVE them!

AND if anyone wants to see copies of the actual activities onboard, I uploaded our kid's compass for AO for the 3-5 and 6-8 year old groups here....

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Royal%20Caribean%20AO%20Compass

This was from Freedom May 07

If anyone has any more they can scan, I will upload them to this site so we can keep them all together. Email me at bmediamom@comcast.net

Thanks for adding those! :)

Thanks so much! DS5 and DD3 love to cruise and can't wait to go to Adventure Ocean.

You're very welcome. I wish I could go to AO and use the waterslides! I would sneak, but I think I might get stuck! LOL

Thanks for posting that!

Can anyone tell me what goes on at the Late Night Party Zone? I'm thinking we might utilize that a couple of times on our cruise. Is it really a "party" or is it more downtime since it's so late? My kids will be 3 and 6 so I have no idea how they'll be that late at night.

cruisinmomma...thanks a bunch for compasses...those were very, very helpful.

A few questions...if we have early seating why do the have the Adventure Ocean Welcome aboard at 6pm...is it only 30 minutes then for us to make dinner?

Do the children have to be signed in right at 9am to participate in the days activites, or are you allowed to sign them in and out at leisure, or does everyone have to start and end at one time...so sorta confused on that, since we would not want them there necassarily the whole times they show.

And finally..the nights that they have dinner for them in Johnny Rockets (which I assume are formal nights onabord)...if u sign them and change your mind later and have them go to formal night with us, is that okay or is there a problem if u cancel?

And also on Pirate Night, when they do the parade I see it is during the late seating, so how can we see them if we are main? I guess we just miss it or something?

Thanks in advance to whomever can answer these questions.

Thanks for posting that!

Can anyone tell me what goes on at the Late Night Party Zone? I'm thinking we might utilize that a couple of times on our cruise. Is it really a "party" or is it more downtime since it's so late? My kids will be 3 and 6 so I have no idea how they'll be that late at night.

My kids are in the same age bracket as yours and the one time I allowed them to go to Late Night Party Zone they were still doing activities that late. My kids were just too tired to do it again. Gabriella actually fell asleep on one of the couches. They said she cried, then fell asleep.

On Carnival, the "Slumber Party" is just milk/cookies with lots of pillows/blankets and a big screen of movies. I don't know why RCCL has the Late Night Party be so active.

cruisinmomma...thanks a bunch for compasses...those were very, very helpful.

A few questions...if we have early seating why do the have the Adventure Ocean Welcome aboard at 6pm...is it only 30 minutes then for us to make dinner?

Do the children have to be signed in right at 9am to participate in the days activites, or are you allowed to sign them in and out at leisure, or does everyone have to start and end at one time...so sorta confused on that, since we would not want them there necassarily the whole times they show.

And finally..the nights that they have dinner for them in Johnny Rockets (which I assume are formal nights onabord)...if u sign them and change your mind later and have them go to formal night with us, is that okay or is there a problem if u cancel?

And also on Pirate Night, when they do the parade I see it is during the late seating, so how can we see them if we are main? I guess we just miss it or something?

Thanks in advance to whomever can answer these questions.

Welcome aboard - everyone asks that question. Yes, it just takes a few minutes to sign up and then you are on your way to dinner. I think by calling it a welcome aboard party is misleading. They have some face painting, but basically it's just to sign up.

Signing in - You can sign them in/out at ANY time UNLESS specified by an activity...like you can't sign them in close to the pirade parade time. But that's basically it.

Johnny Rockets - you sign them up in the morning but I DID cancel Gabriella out later that night after we had a problem with one of the counselors in the afternoon. You can cancel.

Main seating - you actually eat dinner THEN you go to the Promenade and watch the Pirate Parade. They perform it 2-3 times in the Promenade and THEN move on to the Late Seating dinner. We kind of followed them up and watched them outside of the dining room.

How they handle the Late Night Party Zone may depend on how many kids are there. When we were on Rhapsody a couple of weeks ago, there were far more teens and olders kids than pre-schoolers. They had one area with couches that was sort of quiet and movies were running. The rest of the area was very active...ping pong, games, dancing, etc. I think the reason our grandsons (ages 5-8) preferred the active area is because they were afraid they might fall asleep and miss something if they sat down for a minute!

All four of them--who have very different personalities and interests--absolutely loved AO. On Roatan our family went to a beautiful beach, because we thought the kids would enjoy a day of playing in the ocean and building sandcastles. After about an hour, they were ready to go back to the ship because they missed the activities at AO.

Since our children are a little younger, then I think we'll skip Late Night party Zone and have in cabin babysitting. We have 2 cabins with connecting doors, so think this will be ideal for sitter situation...sitter in one while they are asleep in the other... w/door opened between them of course.

Has anyone had any trouble lining up sitters onboard? We would like to go ahead and book 9:30ish PM each evening (as we like our blackjack...lol), and if decided to cancel a evening would just pay her the min. of 2 hours and let her be on her way...was wondering if sitter situtation is as easy as it sounds. thanks.

BTW, mine love sitters, so not worried about children not wanting one, they are past the "don't leave mommy stage"

• 1 month later...

We're sailing on Mariner in November. We have a large group that includes 12 children ages 4-18. For the younger ones, does AO have activities for them ON Coco Cay or do they stay on board? I think I read somewhere that there are activities on the island, but I can't find it.

Also, if the kids stay in AO while you are in port and they need to reach you - how do they do that?

Thanks for any help.

Archived