Embarking at Barbados

Boff

Hi,

First time poster and first time cruiser so please be kind.. :)

We're boarding the Destiny at Barbados in a few weeks time after a week at our favourite Bajan hotel. I keep reading about alcohol being confiscated by Carnival during embarkation but I'm definitely taking some Mount Gay rum home with me and I may not have much time for shopping between disembarkation and catching our flight, how strict are they likely to be?

Also, are there any fellow Brits lurking on these boards who have been on the Destiny and can offer their opinion on what we can expect? I have nothing at all against North Americans but we tend to have different priorities and expectations in my experience :cool:

Well, I have not embarked in Barbados but I was on Destiny last November/December and visited both Mount Gay Rum and Malibu Rum Distilleries. When I finally made my way back to the ship, walked right on carrying my 2 Mount Gay Rum bags and was never asked to turn over my purchases. Yes, the table was there to turn them in but no one was there to collect them! I found this to be the case in each port we visited.

FYI, make sure you visit the duty free shop in the terminal in San Juan. The prices there on alcohol are very good. And, again, I carried these right onto the ship without being asked to turn them in!

I can certainly understand why you'd want to bring home some Mount Gay Rum, it very good. If for some strange reason you can't find it:eek: , get some Cockspur, also very good. Anyway, if you're planning on taking it 'home', then as you board the ship, if they take it, you'll get it back on the last night of the cruise. As far as the San Jaun cruise terminal, we were there in January and did'nt really see anything better than anywhere else.

I got some nice bottles of Don Q Rum in the duty free shop in San Juan....located on the second floor about 25 ft. from where you board the ship. The bottles were $8.00 each. Not BAD!!! Sometimes there was someone at the little table...(which in San Juan was set up....on the ship...on deck 3...where you very first actually set foot on the actual ship itself)...anyhow...sometimes there was someone there...other times there was not. I carried my two bottles on with me...there was no one at the little table....but they actually sat in my room the whole time...I didn't drink them....and now they are home with me. Still haven't drank them!!! But I will!

Oh, P.S. Embarking in Barbados looked really easy...I didn't study it or anything...but from the looks of it...I'd say maybe 50-100 tops...got on the ship in Barbados....where the other 2,700 people...got on the ship in San Juan. Definitely more of a bottle neck in San Juan!

• 1 month later...
Embarking in Barbados looked really easy...

but from the looks of it...maybe 50-100 tops...got on the ship in Barbados....

whereas the other 2,700 people...got on the ship in San Juan.

Definitely more of a bottle neck in San Juan!

He's right there!

Few people board at Barbados, so it should be a quick easy boarding!

As regards alcohol/confication, it has been my experience that

regardless of Company Rules and Regulations,

it usually boils down to WHO'S ON DUTY, and is he in a good mood or not!

Same with Customs in these islands,

where female Customs Officers are more procedural and difficult

- now you know!

Your best bet will be to buy the rum at the airport in the duty free area. All the rum you want is available. That way you can carry it on with you. If you buy it at the port or on the cruise you will have to pack it in your checked baggage. This is due to the 3oz rule.

Hi,

First time poster and first time cruiser so please be kind.. :)

We're boarding the Destiny at Barbados in a few weeks time after a week at our favourite Bajan hotel. I keep reading about alcohol being confiscated by Carnival during embarkation but I'm definitely taking some Mount Gay rum home with me and I may not have much time for shopping between disembarkation and catching our flight, how strict are they likely to be?

Also, are there any fellow Brits lurking on these boards who have been on the Destiny and can offer their opinion on what we can expect? I have nothing at all against North Americans but we tend to have different priorities and expectations in my experience :cool:

Archived