Submarine

mickey-mouse

Mickey-mouse: Sorry I can't help you with the answer because I was wondering the same thing myself. I was thinking that we will probably go on the fully submerged one. We're going to try to do some snorkeling & I figured the partially submerged one would be about the same as snorkeling (as far as what we would see). Hopefully someone "experienced" will respond to your post. Also, does anybody know which company is the best for either of these excursions? Thanks!

I was on the Atlantis sub in St. Thomas. It was amazing! Each person sat facing their own 28 inch porthole. The views were amazing. I vowed that I would take up scuba diving. That was until an enormous shark swam right in front of my view. Then I was mighty happy to be inside a million dollar sub.

Two years ago we went on the Nautius semi-sub in Grand Cayman. It was made to look like the old time sub. There were windows angled to look down. We went over wrecks and Cheeseburger reef. Then a crew member donned an air tank and swam along the windows feeding the quite large fish. Then we could climb up, put on snorkle gear and swim with those fishes. I tucked my hands inside my vest because the (did I say large?) fish were still hungry, and hands = food. Those who did not want to snorkle could sit in sun and watch or go back below water and watch from there. All this was close to shore and with a great view of the ships.

I too, cannot quite decide for this cruise yet. However, since I just found out that there will be 5 ships in port, I will probably book something so I can get off the ship. Daughter has not done Atlantis sub so we are leaning in that direction.

Hope this helps, but i too would like to hear from someone who has done the Atlantis in G.C.

It is a toss-up. On the Atlantis, we were taken places that a snorkeler can't go--really deep. I think we were 100 feet down. On the Nautilus, we were able to snorkle while on the excursion. Both had great views & we saw lots of marine life.

I think this time that we will do the Atlantis at Grand Cayman. Although I think that the best place to do the Atlantis would be at Cozumel, since it is such a divers' paradise. As a family, we just love the beaches at Coz so we will be on the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I did the tour on the Atlantis submarine both: in Grand Cayman and in St. Thomas - can not say that there were that much different .... it is a different experience to be in a sub about 100 or 120 ft deep and see the reef and some of the sea life ....... but one thing is missing - the color.

Every thing is sort of grayish blue - the natural daylight in deeper water changes the color of things ..... something might be red but you will only see it as grayish blue. The true color can only be seen with artificial illumination at night when the Atlantis uses its lights.

There is actually more color to be seen on the tour of the semi-sub ( I did that in Aruba).

I have also read that there was more to see on the Atlantis sub tour in Cozumel but that was before Wilma did some damage to the reefs - how much got damaged I do not know.

In case if one decided to do the tours in Grand Cayman ( as we did back in April) discounts can be obtained from the Cayman Activity Guide.

Also be aware of local time and 'ship's time' - if you decide to book something on your own. The Atlantis operates on local time regardless of any 'ship's time'.

Enjoy your tour - whichever you choose.

Wes

Archived