Cruise Insurance

karolm

It all depends on the policy and when you bought it. X cruise care does not cover preexisting. Some companies policies do cover it, but it has to be bought within a week of down payment. There are two policies out there, that cover it and have to be bought withing 24 hours of final payment.

CSA has their Silver Policy, that will cover pre-exislting conditions no matter when you purchase, but it's MUCH more expensive than if you had purchased insurance within 10 to 14 days of booking your cruise. I never cruise without it, and make sure you get medical evacuation coverage. When mom had to be evac'd off Millennium in January, the half hour flight was $9000.

Don't leave home without it. Why? Because you never know when you may need it, especially for a medical emergency.

Last summer while in Italy on the Galaxy I had a medical emergency where I had to rushed to the hospital due to my pulse rate dropping to 27. To make a long story short I was fitted with a temporary pacemaker to stabilize me and then fitted with a permanent one the next day. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days, missed the last 4 days of my cruise and stay in Rome.

The total cost for everything was between $13,000-$14,000. If I had not taken out travel insurance I would have had to pay this out of my pocket. Yes, my health insurance would have covered some of my costs, but knowing how they try to delay payment and question the validitiy of a procedure through partial payment I'm glad I spend $200 for my coverage.

Travelex was the company I had the insurance with. The reason I chose them was that they offered medical coverage as a primary coverage not secondary. They paid for my whole procedure, travel costs due to changes and were very helpful with guidance for my wife.

This is why I'll never leave home without it again, because you never know when you my use it.

Michael

CSA has their Silver Policy, that will cover pre-exislting conditions no matter when you purchase, but it's MUCH more expensive than if you had purchased insurance within 10 to 14 days of booking your cruise. I never cruise without it, and make sure you get medical evacuation coverage. When mom had to be evac'd off Millennium in January, the half hour flight was $9000.

The CSA Silver plan hasn't existed for several years and even when it did it did not cover pre-existing medical conditions regardless of when it was purchased.

Their current Freestyle Luxe plan will cover pre-ex conditions if purchased up to the final payment date and that's the latest any of their plans has maed the pre-ex coverage available.

Thank you cruiseco for that update. I know I had to purchase the Silver Plan three years ago when I booked a last minute cruise, and I have pre-existing that I needed to cover. I know when I purchased that plan, it DID cover my pre-existing, as I specifically told the agent I needed that coverage. In my brochure and on the card I received for the plan, it did state that I was covered for any pre-existing.

The CSA Silver plan hasn't existed for several years and even when it did it did not cover pre-existing medical conditions regardless of when it was purchased.

Their current Freestyle Luxe plan will cover pre-ex conditions if purchased up to the final payment date and that's the latest any of their plans has maed the pre-ex coverage available.

Thanks for the heads-up. We have used CSA on the last few cruises and have final payment due in about a week. I will check this one out ASAP.

Archived