Clearwater Beach

hiseas5

I will be on a cruise the week of 7/7 and was looking for a beach other than Tobacco Bay or St. Catherine's to try while in St. George. I've read that Clearwater Beach on St. David's Island is a nice place to bring kids. I have 3 that range from ages 8 to 12. Has anyone been to this beach? I'd appreciate any comments.

I will be on a cruise the week of 7/7 and was looking for a beach other than Tobacco Bay or St. Catherine's to try while in St. George. I've read that Clearwater Beach on St. David's Island is a nice place to bring kids. I have 3 that range from ages 8 to 12. Has anyone been to this beach? I'd appreciate any comments.

Yes, we went there last year and it was great. I was intriqued when I read the history of this beach. It once belonged to the US military and only military personel could use it. Now that it has reverted back to the Bermuda government, it is available for public use. You can take the number 6 bus to this beach. If you take the regular St. David's lighthouse bus, you would have quite a long walk. There is another number 6 bus that goes directly to Clearwater beach as well as the lighthouse. It is not listed on the printed schedule but the Visitor's Bureau can tell you the times. It is something like 12:45 on the hour once an hour. There are facilicites for changing your clothes and bathrooms. The outside bar there was very nice with stools and apparently music. They also offer equipment rentals and snacks such as hotdogs and hamburgers. The sand is not pink, but white such as Florida, due to the fact that is man made. You need crocs because there are rocky bands crisscrossing the beach. But once in the blue water it is delightful. The water felt very buoyant, perhaps saltier due to the ring of reefs. The sand is soft and feels great to your feet. For the kids there is an outstanding playground with lots of equipment. Directly across the beach is the lighthouse and to the right a larger ring of reefs. To the left is the airport. What is a neat vista is the planes coming in over the reefs and the lighthouse for landings. We took a photo of a plane coming in low for a landing as a catamaran was rounding the reefs. The buses run only once an hour so you do have to pay attention to the time. It was definitely not crowded, similar to my other favorite beach, John Smith's Bay. Don't forget to see St. David's Lighthouse on the way back. If you are interested in authenic Bermuda cruisine, there is a local place called Dennis's Hideout near the lighthouse. Hope this information helps.:)

I almost forgot to mention, get the transportation passes. The cost for an adult is $12 for one day, $20 for two and $28 for three. It allows unlimited use of the buses and ferries. You can get on and off as much as you want. For the kids 5-16 the cost is $8, under 5 would have been free.:)

Another beach you might want to consider is Shelly Bay Beach on the north shore, a short bus ride from either St. George or Hamilton. Very calm with a playground, changing facilities and a snack bar.

I loved Clearwater Beach. There is a beautiful view of the lighthouse from the beach. They rent baddle boats, floats, along with chairs and umbrellas.

I felt that Clearwater Beach is one of our undiscovered secrets of Bermuda. It is quite nice. Quiet and not crowded like John Smith's Bay.

It really is great for kids because of the playground and the gentle waves. The water is very shallow which is another plus. I didn't know they rented paddle boats, do you remember how much they charged to rent them? It sounds like it would be a lazy way to have fun.:)

I felt that Clearwater Beach is one of our undiscovered secrets of Bermuda. It is quite nice. Quiet and not crowded like John Smith's Bay.

It really is great for kids because of the playground and the gentle waves. The water is very shallow which is another plus. I didn't know they rented paddle boats, do you remember how much they charged to rent them? It sounds like it would be a lazy way to have fun.:)

I can't recall, but it was reasonable. I was really shocked the beach was so empty, but I hope it stays that way when I am there on July 10th. ;) We took a cab there, and then we called for a cab to pick us up when we were ready. One more thing I remembered just now, a lady wanted to rent some sort of float, and they didn't have any, so one of the workers went to the store and bought one so they could rent it to the lady. LOL

I can't recall, but it was reasonable. I was really shocked the beach was so empty, but I hope it stays that way when I am there on July 10th. ;) We took a cab there, and then we called for a cab to pick us up when we were ready. One more thing I remembered just now, a lady wanted to rent some sort of float, and they didn't have any, so one of the workers went to the store and bought one so they could rent it to the lady. LOL

Isn't that amazing. They take the time and trouble to get a float for the woman to make her happy. That is so typical of the people in Bermuda. They just go above and beyond what is expected of them. They are the friendliest and nicest people on the whole that I have ever met. It is one of the main reasons that everyone keeps returning to Bermuda year after year. I think that beach will continue to be a well kept secret as it is a little difficult to access. Why is the special Clearwater Beach bus schedule not even listed? It is just starting to get some recognition on these boards similar to John Smith Bay. :)

I played on this beach during school vacation for 3 years while our family was stationed at the Air Force base. Spent many summer days there, rollin and tumblin, learned to swim there. Lived off base in St. David in a pink house on the waterfront with an exquisite view of St. George's harbor....what a great memory. Its been 30 years, and my wife and I are going to Bermuda this fall on the Crown.

I really can't wait.

I played on this beach during school vacation for 3 years while our family was stationed at the Air Force base. Spent many summer days there, rollin and tumblin, learned to swim there. Lived off base in St. David in a pink house on the waterfront with an exquisite view of St. George's harbor....what a great memory. Its been 30 years, and my wife and I are going to Bermuda this fall on the Crown.

I really can't wait.

I have been coming to Bermuda since 1967 when I was in college. Just nice memories of all the times I visited with different friends. I hope you have some pictures from the time you lived there. I bet you would have fun tracking down the house you lived in at that time as well. What a wonderful experience that must have been. I am sure you and your wife will have a great time there. It is too bad that you will be arriving after we have left on 10/05

kinda hard to predict the water temperature for that time of year. it is dependant on how many hurricanes affect us. they stir up the ocean bringing cooler water to the shores. if we have none, the water will be warm, like high 70s. just after a hurricane goes by? low 70s. taxi from st george should be no more than 10 minutes, unless there's a bridge opening which could add 5-10 minutes to your total and cost around $8-$10

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of those who responded to my question about Clearwater Beach. We went there last Monday and the beach was as wonderful as all of you said it would be. Unfortunately, the weather was not the best. It was cloudy, cool and showery all day but we made the best of it. We took one of the minibuses. You have to hail them on the street (the VIC told us they just basically ride around) and we did wait a bit to get one. It cost $15 for me, my wife and 3 children. The driver told us that when we were ready to go back to just let the men at the snack bar know. They called for a minibus to take us back to the ship but we did wait about 1/2 hour. The beach itself was pretty spacious. The lifeguard was on duty but since we were the only ones there he spent most of his time playing frisbee with his buddy. Water was shallow and there were some fish by some of the rocks. We also walked over to Turtle Beach. It was nice to see the planes coming in and passing in front of the lighthouse. I would definitley recommend taking the drive to see it.:)

Archived