BEWARE of Cabo Shore Excursion thru Carnival

gwpdispatcher

Canopy tour thru Los Veranos in PV was terriffic. I booked on line and saved $58 a person. Booked a snorkeling tour thru Carnival and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. The tour guide failed to mention that the water in Cabo was unseasonably FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!! 59 degrees until we were about 500yds out from the dock. Lot's of us complained to Carnival Shore Excursions and they refunded almost half of our money. They knew the water was cold. They should have told us before. Once we got to the bay to snorkel we anchored in front of a sandy beach about 500 ft from the reef. Unless you were part polar bear and a good swimmer all you saw was murkey sandy water. I felt ripped off. They tell you on the ship beware of private excursion guides. HA!! The cost was about half the price of Carnival. They anchored right in the reef. Never again. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't let that happen.

The water during the summer time can get to be about 75-80 degs... but what happens in Cabo as well as most of the Pacific coast is that there is NO shelf, thus the water comes from deep ocean just a few miles off shore. The other difference is that the prevailing currents in the Pacific run south along the coast from Alaska as where the Atlantic currents are running north picking up warm water along the equator.

Which snorkel excursion did you do in Cabo? We're going in Oct. and are thinking about doing the Chelino Bay snorkeling excursion thru Carnival.

The water in October is much warmer. I did Cheleno last October and the year before and both times the water was clear and warm.

I'm a cold water wimp so one time I went to Cabo in March and couldn't swim...brrrrr....

....The tour guide failed to mention that the water in Cabo was unseasonably FREEZING....they refunded almost half of our money.....all you saw was murkey sandy water. I felt ripped off.....QUOTE]

You must be kidding. How is it the excursion operator’s responsibility to do your research? On top of that, just how is a local company supposed to control the weather? I am amazed you got any refund at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Canopy tour thru Los Veranos in PV was terriffic. I booked on line and saved $58 a person. Booked a snorkeling tour thru Carnival and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. The tour guide failed to mention that the water in Cabo was unseasonably FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!! 59 degrees until we were about 500yds out from the dock. Lot's of us complained to Carnival Shore Excursions and they refunded almost half of our money. They knew the water was cold. They should have told us before. Once we got to the bay to snorkel we anchored in front of a sandy beach about 500 ft from the reef. Unless you were part polar bear and a good swimmer all you saw was murkey sandy water. I felt ripped off. They tell you on the ship beware of private excursion guides. HA!! The cost was about half the price of Carnival. They anchored right in the reef. Never again. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't let that happen.

Did you book through this company?

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/index.htm

You know all the things Cruisers would normally worry about when booking "off" the Cruise lines shore excursions list??

Was it any of those things???? I think Cruisers have been made to fear saving any kind of money and doing things on their own VS the ships HIGH PRICED options for shore excursions!

Any detailed advice would be a blessing, as im most likely going to book this for our Thanksgiving Cruise. Our 9 & 12 year old would LOVE IT!

....The tour guide failed to mention that the water in Cabo was unseasonably FREEZING....they refunded almost half of our money.....all you saw was murkey sandy water. I felt ripped off.....QUOTE]

You must be kidding. How is it the excursion operator’s responsibility to do your research? On top of that, just how is a local company supposed to control the weather? I am amazed you got any refund at all.

Funny. They knew how unseasonably cold the water was after we left the dock. Had everyone known the water is as cold as it is 500 miles north in california most would have not signed up. They lead you to believe it is clear and warm. Maybe you wouldn't have cared but I went Mexico to enjoy the warmth. Sorry were not all polar bears like you

Did you book through this company?

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/index.htm

You know all the things Cruisers would normally worry about when booking "off" the Cruise lines shore excursions list??

Was it any of those things???? I think Cruisers have been made to fear saving any kind of money and doing things on their own VS the ships HIGH PRICED options for shore excursions!

Any detailed advice would be a blessing, as im most likely going to book this for our Thanksgiving Cruise. Our 9 & 12 year old would LOVE IT!

:Yes canopytours-vallarta is it. the name of the company is los veranos and you can find them on line. huge savings vs the cruiseship. We even saw people from our ship same company just paid more than us. I wouldn't plan on eating there. Maybe a margie chip & salsa after. Food a little pricey but over all..FANTASTIC

Which snorkel excursion did you do in Cabo? We're going in Oct. and are thinking about doing the Chelino Bay snorkeling excursion thru Carnival.

It was the same Chelino Bay on a Catamaran. I would look into snokeling in PV or Mazatlon. Water is much much warmer. Or look into get water temps on line before you book or before you book on the ship, opt to just hire on of the locals that are waiting on the dock. Stick your foot in the water before you book them. If its cold, go have lunch if its warm go snokeling. It was about $30 cheaper booking on the dock than booking thru the cruise lines. Good luck

That's the one we booked on board. It would have been cheaper just hiring one of the locals waiting to take you out and snorkel. You can at least stick you feet in the water before you book to see if the water is cold or warm. Good luck

Archived