Jamaica

Momma Mojito

Thanks so much for the info. Kinda of sad to hear that Margaritaville was such a disappointemnt to you but I think we may go ahead and check it out anyway. Hey, maybe theyve cleaned it up since last year and the incident. I hope so.

Thanks allot!

I posted this in another thread where folks were expressing fear about visiting Jamaica:

I've vacationed MANY times in Jamaica and never had any problems. I do recall that on my first visit a Rastaman tried to sell me some Ganja within earshot of a customs agent! That was the extent of the difficulties I've had.

I love the Jamaican people. Seeing the young Jamaican kids, decked out in their school uniforms, with their clean, smiling faces enjoying interacting with the tourists has always been a treat. "Yes, sir. No, sir. Yes, Mame. No, Mame." Polite to a fault and thrilled to have their pictures taken, these kids are gems.

Sure, there's bad apples in Jamaica. Where aren't there any? Let me know and I'm booking a cruise for there right now. I can't think of a single resort town anywhere that hasn't had it's share of crime. Unfortunately, this incident happened recently and got a bunch of press.

I'm going back to Jamaica in September and I'll be going back again next year.

Irie!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=587674

There is a great deal of unfounded concern about travel in Jamaica. Think about the closest medium to large city near you. How many folks are robbed, mugged, beaten or murdered during any one week period? I suspect that crime on tourists is no worse in Jamaica than it is in Washington DC, Miami, or New York, perhaps lower.

Don't be swayed by one incident. Don't condemn the entire population because of the actions of a few rotten apples.

Ya know when you stop and think about it you're probably right. I mean I live just an hour from Houston and it has one the highest crime rates in the nation. And besides which weren’t those tourist robbed in the evening? We aren’t planning to be on the island past 3 or so.

At any rate, I think if we're just aware of our surroundings just like we are when in Houston or any other big city we'll be ok. Guess you just have to be aware and alert.

Once when we went to the border of Texas and Mexico it was a terrible site to see those poor little kids begging for handouts. It broke my heart that I couldn’t help each and every one of them. So it’s nice to know that you found the children such a pleasure and that they didn’t hound you the entire time you were there. I wouldn’t mind buying trinkets from them, in fact I want to see what they have to bring back as souvenirs. Maybe with the trinket I'll bring back a wonderful memory as well.

Thanks or the info. I can hardly wait for my very first cruise and island experience.

Once when we went to the border of Texas and Mexico it was a terrible site to see those poor little kids begging for handouts. It broke my heart that I couldn’t help each and every one of them. So it’s nice to know that you found the children such a pleasure and that they didn’t hound you the entire time you were there. I wouldn’t mind buying trinkets from them, in fact I want to see what they have to bring back as souvenirs. Maybe with the trinket I'll bring back a wonderful memory as well.

These kids were on a bit of school outing, visiting the site where Columbus first landed in Jamaica. Every one of them wearing a neat and clean school uniform (try finding that in public schools in the US!). They were patiently queued up to see the various historic plaques that dotted the location.

I wasn't the only person that was impressed. A dozen or so folks that were on the small bus with me enroute to Ocho grabbed an armful of these cute kids and got photos with them. Big smiles all around and universally the kids thanked the tourists for taking their pictures.

Great memory.

Well with your encouragement I am now not only not as weary about the visit but looking forward to it. I cant wait to see what the island has to offer. And the kids....well, I'll make it appoint to meet some of them and see what trinkets they have to sell AND have the honor of having my picture taken with them. We have a portable printer so maybe I can even leave a picture with one or two of them. (smile)

Thanks allot!

For those of you that have not read the story I posted on the robbery thread, you need to look at it.

Also, this robbery occured at 11:30AM...Middle of the day.

SanAntonio Gal,

Two of the victims were from San Antonio. It was a handi-capped couple...Very nice people, the little woman (about 3'6") was jerked around and her handi-capped husband tried to stand up to help her and got a pistol shoved in his face and a threat " I will F..ing Kill You, don't be crazy, Mon"

Archived