Rome Hotel with smoking rooms

harnesshorseman

Having trouble finding Rome hotels that allow smoking in your room. Will be there in late November. None of the travel sites seem to list if the hotels have smoking rooms and the ones i have e-mailed that do have smoking rooms are more expensive than i want to pay. Would like to pay $200 or less per night. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Want to stay in an area where buses or trains are available to visit the sights. thanks.

Hi unfortunately Rome is now a smoke free city as far as hotels go. You will not find one and there are high fines if you caught smoking in your room. I know it is hard to believe but unfortunately true. Jen

Hi unfortunately Rome is now a smoke free city as far as hotels go. You will not find one and there are high fines if you caught smoking in your room. I know it is hard to believe but unfortunately true. Jen

nonsense. the law only applies to the public areas.

check www.romeby.com and look in their FAQ section. it does specify if smoking rooms are available.

i stayed the the hotel miami. you might check that one out. i paid $130 US a night there. good location - most sights are within walking distance.

if you find one let me know because all the hotels I have stayed at in the last 2 years in Rome have had the laws posted that the city is smoke free in the rooms and listed the fines so no I am sorry it is not nonesense I wish it was since I am a smoker. Maybe in the last 2 years when the new law went into affect you have not stayed in Rome. Jen

I've been having the same problem. I've decided not to stay in Rome downtown. Atahotel Villa Pamphili ($208 per night right now) is about 3km from the Vatican. I don't know if the rooms are smoke free or not, but they all have a balcony or a terrace, where I plan to smoke. They have a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport, and a courtesy shuttle to and from the Vatican. I plan to use the courtesy shuttle to the Vatican, then catch the Hop on/Hop off bus there and take it around to the sites in Rome. We will do some walking, but mostly ride the bus. Some of the hotels do still have "smoking rooms" listed, but most of the bed and breakfasts and smaller hotels say smoke free.

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/aurelio_e_monteverde/hotel_atahotel_villa_pamphili.html?sd=16&sm=10&sy=2007&ed=18&em=10&ey=2007&pval=2&rval=1&geoid=3425&ref=34990

Unfortunately I don't live in Rome, so have no idea exactly what their smoking policy is. Others on this site have posted it is banned in all public areas.

I had pretty much decided against staying in the downtown area because of the cost of the hotels and transfers both to/from the airport and to/from the port. Once I found the Atahotel had the courtesy shuttles, I really liked the looks of their rooms (not closets) too. I only hope they will still be reasonable in Nov when I can finally make my reservations for next year.

If you use Venere.com or expedia.com, it usually lists on the site if it is smoking or non-smoking. Good Luck and have a great trip!

Just a follow-up. I sent an email to the Italian Tourist Board to ask just what the smoking ban is, but I also searched on the internet.

It appears Italy banned smoking in public places in January 2005. The establishment can only allow smoking if they have a separate ventilation system that extracts the smoke, thus the hotels not allowing smoking as it would cost them too much to install these systems. Some larger, newer hotels may have the ventilation system, but the smaller, older ones certainly would not be able to accommodate the new law.

If I find I cannot smoke at the hotel, think that will cut me down to only 1 night pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise.

Unfortunately smoking is an easy target. They can't do anything about the pollution in the air from cars, buses, factories, etc., but they can easily ban smoking, so that's what they do, saying it is for the health of the public.

Just a follow-up. I sent an email to the Italian Tourist Board to ask just what the smoking ban is, but I also searched on the internet.

It appears Italy banned smoking in public places in January 2005. The establishment can only allow smoking if they have a separate ventilation system that extracts the smoke, thus the hotels not allowing smoking as it would cost them too much to install these systems. Some larger, newer hotels may have the ventilation system, but the smaller, older ones certainly would not be able to accommodate the new law.

the key word there is 'public'. smoking was allowed in my hotel room and many others that i priced. a couple hotels were entirely smoke-free (including rooms) but that was by choice, not law.

fyi - if you have vonage phone service you can call italy for free. i found this very handy.

• 3 years later...

If this is posted in the incorrect place, I apologize, please feel free to move it to the correct place if needed.

We've been trying to find a decent priced hotel in Rome: Navrone, Spagna, Trevi (decent priced difficult enough for these areas), however, I do smoke & my travel companions do not. I am looking for a hotel with either a room with a balcony, terrace, etc., or even a hotel with a courtyard, terrace, rooftop - something with an area that a guest could utilize at most hours of the day and evening in order to have a cigarette without having to go stand in front of the hotel. We would prefer to walk to most of the sites, however, a one-mode of transportation would be OK also.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Hard to resist a comment that if smoking is so important to you that you have to make all these out of the way arrangements it might be time to deal with your addiction. We have been really shocked at how fast the Europeans have gone from a very smoke-friendly environment to an anti-smoking environment despite the fast that so many Europeans still smoke. But it is the current reality. We were just in Myrtle Beach, SC and were actually shocked to be in a restaurant that allowed smoking at the bar. Times are a changing but SC has still not toughened their laws.

Hank

Hmmmm also think it interesting that these people will also be on cruise ships -many of which have developed tougher smoking rules.

Many ships there is no smoking in the cabin, on the balcony and almost all areas - allowing smoking in only a few designated areas.

I smoked for 25 years and quit 14 years ago. I can sympathize but at the same time I do not want to share your smoke now...... so if you smoke on the balcony or in the courtyard - please be mindful of others around you who may not wish to share your smoke. :)

Archived