As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Are you confusing NCL with Princess...I have sailed NCL and their newer ships have many dining options...I have also cruised Princess and am not aware of ony of their ships that have "6 or 10 dining options...Perhaps I've missed them...Which ships are you referring to?

As an example, the Grand Princess has 11 dining areas. Just to name one ship.

As an example, the Grand Princess has 11 dining areas. Just to name one ship.

Having cruised on the Star Princess I am a little familiar with the "dining areas" on this class ship...Basicly I found my options for dinner were Traditional, Anytime, and the buffet...I don't eat in extra charge restaurants...Having cruised for over 40 years I guess I am resistant to this change..Also a pizza parlor or hamburger don't appeal to me...I accept that there are those who consider these acceptable options for dinner.

My next cruise is on HAL...I have selected the open seating...It has worked well on the 3 cruiselines I have sailed with this option...If HAL is the cruiseline many here claim it to be I hope and expect that it will work out well.

I confess I did not read ALL 61 pages so I apologize if this has been asked and answered..

We are on the Volendam to Alaska and have anytime dining.

We like to dine around 6-6:30. Should we make a reservation every morning if we want a table for 2?

I confess I did not read ALL 61 pages so I apologize if this has been asked and answered..

We are on the Volendam to Alaska and have anytime dining.

We like to dine around 6-6:30. Should we make a reservation every morning if we want a table for 2?

Can't blame you - this thread is getting awfully long.

The "what and how" thread, which would have been more likely to answer your question, is a little shorter.

Anyway, as best as I have been able to glean from what's been posted, they generally will not take reservations for the peak hours between 6 and 8 pm. So you are stuck with making a reservation for 5:45, or taking your chances. That said, it appears people have not had that much difficulty getting tables when they show up. Good luck!

:) It will be opyional--we just registered for it on Zaandam for Mar 4 cruise. Each ship has adifferent strat day for this feature.

Ted

I seem to remember news about HA offering a change in dining preferences, like Princess "Personal Choice" or NCL "Anytime Dining." Is this going to be an option, if so when and on which ships?

:) It will be opyional--we just registered for it on Zaandam for Mar 4 cruise. Each ship has adifferent strat day for this feature.

Ted

I seem to remember news about HA offering a change in dining preferences, like Princess "Personal Choice" or NCL "Anytime Dining." Is this going to be an option, if so when and on which ships?

...the sun will still rise and it will set each day too!

"The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have been on 15 cruises with another coming up later this month along with one we have just booked on the new Eurodam for next year. We have enjoyed traditional type dining and for the most part have enjoyed our table mates, the exception being last year when we sat with a group of obnoxious individuals who took every opportunity to remind us that they had suites with concierge service and huge balconies while we only had a room with a window!

We have dined in the Lido when we have returned late from port. The world didn't end. When we sailed NCL we enjoyed the Anytime Dining. The food was still excellent. The service was still of very high standard and no we did not have to wait more than a minute or two to be seated. When we did enter the dining room, we were not part of a cattle herd.

We do not criuse for the food although we enjoy the opportunity to have foods that we do not normally eat at home. We do not cruise for the "dining experience" although I understand and appreciate that some do.

We cruise to get away from it all and relax. Sometimes we just want to sit and watch the sun rise and set and you know, the sun still rises and sets each day even with "As You Wish Dining"!

...the sun will still rise and it will set each day too!

We have enjoyed traditional type dining and for the most part have enjoyed our table mates, the exception being last year when we sat with a group of obnoxious individuals who took every opportunity to remind us that they had suites with concierge service and huge balconies while we only had a room with a window!

The service was still of very high standard and no we did not have to wait more than a minute or two to be seated. When we did enter the dining room, we were not part of a cattle herd.

Sometimes we just want to sit and watch the sun rise and set and you know, the sun still rises and sets each day even with "As You Wish Dining"!

We too. Thanks for the post.

We are sailing on the Oo 2/2308. We were given the AYW dining even though we'd asked for a set time because it is our first sail and we wanted something we could figure out easier. There is a (probably large) group sailing on the ship at the same time as us that is probably the reason that even though we have a "snooty suite (an SB)" we were not given what we asked for when booking. We'll have a great time no matter what but reading this thread has been interesting. lol Especially to know we shouldn't talk about our dog at breakfast but that's pretty much okay since I don't really talk to anyone til after my second coffee. The count down is under 20 days and I'm so ready to thaw out I'm not sure I care if I'm fed!

If AYWD dining is so popular, then why are guests having problems booking traditional dining even on cruises a year out.
The best guess is that the cruise line is leaving its options open, applying the waiting list. Remember, they have to balance early versus late -- they cannot have a severe imbalance between the two, for either traditional or open seating.

lol Especially to know we shouldn't talk about our dog at breakfast but that's pretty much okay since I don't really talk to anyone til after my second coffee.

It's not a problem to talk about your dog a breakfast...just please no gory pet operation or puking stories. I assume you are referring to my post here.:D

Enjoy your upcoming cruise in 20 days! I wish mine was that close.:)

Please call HAL and speak to a supervisor. This is first and foremost a safety concern for us solo gals. Traditional dining provides a "safety net" in that someone will miss you earlier if you've had a problem in a Port & miss the ship. Otherwise, it could be Noon the next day before your cabin steward notices...

The day after I vented my disgust here, I emailed HAL's customer service department with basically the same very strongly worded message expressing my disgust with the whole AYWD situation. They said they couldn't do anything because I hadn't booked directly with them - HOWEVER - they gave me the name and email address of the onboard dining coordinator on the Statendam and told me to have my TA contact her. By the next day they had found a place for me at late seating...:)

You would think that someone at HAL would get the message that for some cruise itineraries AYWD isn't going to work - 200 people on a waiting list for traditional??? Sounds like HAL isn't giving the majority of people "what they wish".

We are sailing on the Oo 2/2308. We were given the AYW dining even though we'd asked for a set time because it is our first sail and we wanted something we could figure out easier. There is a (probably large) group sailing on the ship at the same time as us that is probably the reason that even though we have a "snooty suite (an SB)" we were not given what we asked for when booking. We'll have a great time no matter what but reading this thread has been interesting. lol Especially to know we shouldn't talk about our dog at breakfast but that's pretty much okay since I don't really talk to anyone til after my second coffee. The count down is under 20 days and I'm so ready to thaw out I'm not sure I care if I'm fed!

I am on the same cruise and my TA pushed for and got me traditional just about 3 weeks ago. I would think your's wouldn't even have as much trouble since you are in a Suite. Perhaps you should call the TA and lean a little.

see you in a few weeks

You would think that someone at HAL would get the message that for some cruise itineraries AYWD isn't going to work - 200 people on a waiting list for traditional??? Sounds like HAL isn't giving the majority of people "what they wish".

I doubt if the current waitlist for traditional on your Statendam cruise has anything to do with the popularity, or lack thereof, of either traditional or AYW dining. HAL seems to develop waitlists for a variety of reasons. For instance, we booked the Prisendam early last year for a departure in about 5 weeks, March 11th. The Prisendam’s capacity is about 800 passengers. At the time we booked it, all dining was waitlisted. We are still waitlisted. Judging from posts regarding our cruise, apparently most passengers are still waitlisted as well. The Prisendam has no options, you must accept traditional dining or eat in the Lido.

I doubt if the current waitlist for traditional on your Statendam cruise has anything to do with the popularity, or lack thereof, of either traditional or AYW dining. HAL seems to develop waitlists for a variety of reasons. For instance, we booked the Prisendam early last year for a departure in about 5 weeks, March 11th. The Prisendam’s capacity is about 800 passengers. At the time we booked it, all dining was waitlisted. We are still waitlisted. Judging from posts regarding our cruise, apparently most passengers are still waitlisted as well. The Prisendam has no options, you must accept traditional dining or eat in the Lido.

I've sailed HAL before, and while they do waitlist - they have so many people on the waitlists for both traditional seatings they actually closed the waitlists for the cruise and you're forced to do AYWD unless you really complain about it. That's a problem - think about it, there's no waitlist for AYWD - it's very available, and you have hundred(s) of passengers on the waitlist for traditional, and even more passengers that want on the waitlist that can't even GET on the waitlist (which is what I was originally told when we I was assigned to AYWD)... that's a lot of people that don't want AYWD - and a lot of very unhappy passengers if they get stuck with AYWD. Maybe HAL should scale it back a bit and instead of devoting all of one level to it, only do half of one level. Seems like demand, at least on Statendam's March cruise is definately for traditional.

... even more passengers that want on the waitlist that can't even GET on the waitlist (which is what I was originally told when we I was assigned to AYWD)...
FWIR, that's often just lazy travel agents, who want to just slot their customers into something definitive, and not have to incur the cost of continually checking back with the cruise line regarding waiting list status.

Just for fun I peeked in here to see if all this has been straightened out. I assumed with all the popularity of AYD dining:D , this thread would have turned into sort of a Kum Ba Ya moment;) .

But no.:o Wonder how long before HAL gives in and recognizes the popularity of Traditional and figures out a way to deal with that as well as those who want a more leisurely experience with AYW.

Maybe they'll just have to start designing their ships to accommodate both the way Princess seems to do.

Maybe they'll just have to start designing their ships to accommodate both the way Princess seems to do.

I seem to recall that many on the Princess boards were complaining they couldn't get Traditional...If the Traditional dining room is filled than you get the open seating room...Which is fine with me but I recognize that not everyone on Princess always gets the option they prefer.

Just thought I'd give my humble opinion. I was just looking over the bookings for our March 22, 2008 sailing on the Volendam. More or less to see how many rooms have been booked. Anyway I was looking at the dining options and found it interesting. The traditional early seating upper and lower was booked. The late seating upper (which is what we have) is waitlisted. I just found it interesting that most people still choose traditional seatings. We were advised when the AWYW option was in place we could change our preference. We didn't because we enjoy tradition. That said, if HAL changes completely to AWYW dining, we would still sail with them because we like the line. I hope they will keep at least on traditional seating, but who knows. :rolleyes:

Sailed on the 1/26 Noordam cruise. Were not able to get fixed seating and were willing to try the open seating. Found it to be totally disorganized. We do not go on a cruise to stand in a long line in order to get a beeper and then wait for a table. Eventually we were able to get fixed, but with a great deal of difficulty.

If HAL wants this to be successful, anyone who wants fixed should be able to have it and those who want open should have that available to them. It seemed that many passengers wanted fixed, but were not able to get a table even though there were empty seats for the first few evenings in the upper diningroom.