Ulalena in Maui

SweetEmi

Thanks! Maybe we'll get tickets for it then for when we are in Maui. Last cruise we were there on the wrong day so we couldn't see it.

I do searches all the time but didn't even think of searching for this one...hehehe...

Emi

Aloha Emi. Here is the link to a recent thread to help you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565271&highlight=ulalena

We enjoyed it and would recommend it. For us it isn't a show we'd go see over and over, but we're glad we finally got tickets for it. (We booked our usual Molokini snorkel with Maui Dive Shop, and Ulalena was one of the package choices to save a bit of money doing both. I think we saved about $60 total for the three of us, which more than paid for our DD's snorkel rental that week.)

I'm not surprised you didn't think to search for it because it doesn't seem to come up very often. More people inquire about luaus or Warren & Annabelle's.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick, that link was very helpful. I found another I guess you might call it like a dinner theater type thing called Tony and Tina's Wedding on our shore excursion list but haven't had a chance to check on that. I'm leaning towards Ulalena though.

Looks like I better decide soon though, the link says "get your tickets early" *smile*

Emi

Thanks Beachchick, that link was very helpful. I found another I guess you might call it like a dinner theater type thing called Tony and Tina's Wedding on our shore excursion list but haven't had a chance to check on that. I'm leaning towards Ulalena though.

Looks like I better decide soon though, the link says "get your tickets early" *smile*

Emi

The reports coming in on Tony and Tina's have said it is a hit or miss on whether a cruise will have it as they are still trying to get enough actors to fill the parts for all the cruises. Even though it is a shore excursion, it does take place on the ship and not on shore.

• 1 month later...

I have a different question about Ulalena. Anyone know if the ship excursion gets you to Lahaina early enough to stroll around, have a sunset cocktail, or just in time to go to the show and leave? I'd love to take advantage of the ship's transportation, but would love to see sunset too. Oh, so many choices, so little time!

We loved Ulalena. There is a shuttle service that will take you from Kahului to Lahaina. We met a couple on board and they took the shuttle back and forth. It takes about an hour. I believe you have to walk to a certain place to catch the shuttle.

Gary

Thanks, DCIkon2. so did you book the show on your own or through the ncl excusion desk. The excursions looks pretty resonable since it includes transportation. Anyone do through the ship? Is the shuttle you're referring to just for show ticket holders, or a public shuttle? Do you remember the cost? TIA

We loved 'Ulalena!! If you don't know a little bit about the history of the Hawaiian Islands it would be good to do a little basic research prior to attending the show...and read the brochure they give you prior to the show starting. It is all chants and dance and knowing a wee bit makes following the story much easier.

http://www.ulalena.com/

• 4 months later...

We're considering seeing Ulalena when we're in Maui next week (feels great to be able to say that).

Has anybody seen it recently?

Beachchick, you said you were able to book a combo through Maui Dive Shop, did you do it through their website?

We were on the Dec. 10th POH cruise and went to it. I liked it - the dancing and acrobatics were fun - I wish I would have brought a program. Our problem was there was a big traffic jam and our bus got there late. They did hold the show for 30 minutes to accommodate the cruise line, so that was great. Since the whole show is in Hawaiian, not having a program limited what you could understand - we just interpreted it "our way"!

There are several packages - "standard" seating, "premium" seating, and a dinner show (there's a buffet beforehand). Everyone goes on the same bus through the cruise line, so if you don't get the dinner show and your bus is on time, you'll have approximately an hour to walk around beforehand. If I were to go again, I would just get standard seating - it's a small theater and I wouldn't say an seats were more "premium" than any other.

We're considering seeing Ulalena when we're in Maui next week (feels great to be able to say that).

Has anybody seen it recently?

Beachchick, you said you were able to book a combo through Maui Dive Shop, did you do it through their website?

Aloha. Yes, I bet it does feel good to say, "Next week at this time, when I'm on Maui, I will be fill-in-the-blank, instead of here..." I hope you have a wonderful time.

We booked our MDS excursion that time when we were in the MDS store at Lahaina Cannery Mall. We were renting gear for our DD for the week, so we just booked while we were there. I asked the guys about package savings for the week/month, and they just showed us what was available. Normally, we only book the snorkel and usually simply call a couple of days beforehand because we have our own gear and don't need to pop in to rent or anything. (We rarely travel during the busy times, so pre-booking weeks in advance hasn't ever been an issue for us.) We do like to wander through the store and see if there's anything interesting, but usually do that down at the Kihei location where you check in for the snorkel.

I'd suggest checking the website first to see what's available and then see if you can book online (if you go that route). You could also call and ask about availability next week in case you want to play it by ear. If there's lots of availability (which there may be), then you could wait until you get there to plan in more detail. Do ask about seat availability for Ulalena because there are different levels, just like any theater production, for seat location. Plus, there's a special (more expensive) deal where you get the best seats, at least one drink included, and then a tour backstage and/or to meet the cast after the show.

beachchick

Aloha! I was wondering if anyone had seen Ulalena and if they would give it a big thumbs up or thumbs down. *smile*

Emi

DH loved it so much that we're booked for Hawaii again in April just so I can see it !!!

DH suggested that his co-worker see the show. She just came back from Hawaii, and she is raving about it. :)

Archived