Dubai

Iamsailing

My wife and i are thinking of doing the Dubai - Dubai cruise next year, has anybody being on this cruise before. This will be our 3rd cruise with Silversea the other 2 were fantastic

Thanks

No, but we are doing Mumbai to Dubai later this year, and I love to talk about Dubai and Silversea as much as possible. We are staying a night in advance at Jumeirah Beach Hotel in a club level room and booked Medallion 14 months ago for this sailing. We love Whisper and can't wait to go back especially after they have been in dry dock.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on the Whisper this Dec Dubai to Mumba also have booked some friends Whisper Oct 2008 Dubai - Singapore.

Dubai is a great place well worth a few days pre cruise, great shopping, great food must try the " Verre " in the Hilton Dubai Creek it is one of Gordon Ramsey's eateries.Only down side is the amazing amount of consrtuction so would advise staying near the airport, we have book a suite at Le Meridian which has a great "Seafood Market "restaraunt.Happy cruising.

I spend hours per week researching Dubai and the UAE - pics, websites, etc. What I know is that the most consideration is needed when going in a temple.

Dubai is fairly fine, and you can wear normal bathing suits if having a beach vacation before or after.

You are not supposed to take pics of women w/o permission, also.

On this cruise, you will get an Oman visa from SS automatically, but you will be charged, and the guest info sheet does not say how much. An India visa is required and must be obtained before boarding if you are on the cruise that goes to Mumbai like we are. They recommend Pinnacle, and you can get docs at http://www.traveldocs.com/silversea or use your own service of choice.

For US citizens that surrendered their passports for the India visas, how long did it take to get them back? We have other trips before the October 22 deadline, so I am not going to send them now. It appears to cost $225 per couple if you are US citizens living in the continental US.

Regarding the Indian Visa, if you can visit an Indian Consulate in person (as I did in the US) you can drop off your visa application in the morning and pick it up later that day between 12:00 and 12:15 PM. Different consulate hours may have different office hours.

Be careful not to get the visa too far in advance, as some visas expire 90 days after issue date. Since our cruise called in both Goa and Mumbai, there was a question as to whether a single or multiple entry visa was required.

The Oman visa procured on the ship cost, as I recall, ~$20.

As for the need for women to cover the head, there was no need for SS pax to do that in Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar and Oman.

We've been told only to wear sleeves and such and to be most careful if tourning a temple. Have toured a lot of temples all around other places, so we probably will only look outside.

I plan to likely get a 10 year multi-entry visa since I plan to return to the region. These seem to be obtainable thru mail in 5 to 7 days. I haven't looked into an Indian consulate in the Houston area. I am sure it would be downtown if we have one, so that would take a bunch of time. It is worth looking into, though. We have trips in August and October, so that is why I don't want to get the document now. Our deadline with SS seems to be October 22. Will be back from Jamaica on October 9.

Thanks so much.

In any Arab country we are their guests and should show respect for their traditions...if you agree with them or not. Women need to cover their heads, arms and legs to enter a mosque. Other than that, I would assume you would dress respectfully and not be a Brittany-wannabe. About the Call to Prayer, 5x a day, I find it rather exotic and a unique exposure to a culture totally different from mine. We have also been to Dubai and are returning in March to pick up the Cloud. Once was enough for me.

The 5 times a day prayer thing is not that uncommon here in Houston where meeting have to be planned around this, along w/ the Friday trip to the temple, place allowed for prayer facing the proper direction, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to covering my head, but I have not seen it required by non-Muslim women here. When in doubt, I'd say over-compensate in another country.

For the same time and money, why not go to the Greek Islands, just for example, and have an easy, care free and likely safer voyage instead of the Middle East? If you want somewhere exotic, why not try Japan and South Korea, at least there is no safety concerns!

For the same time and money, why not go to the Greek Islands, just for example, and have an easy, care free and likely safer voyage instead of the Middle East? If you want somewhere exotic, why not try Japan and South Korea, at least there is no safety concerns!

I really shouldn't disagree with this comment as I would like less competition for hotel rooms and airfares to the Middle East. Yes, it really is awful. Terrible. Just stay home and watch TV (CNN, BBC) for the real deal. Yes in the Middle East everywhere, there are all sorts of people speaking in strange tongues and dress differently from those in the US. Stay home. Safer that way.

BTW, I've been to all those places, and I don't consider Japan or S Korea particularly exotic. But those places are dangerous too. North Korea could invade at any time. And those terrible earthquakes in Japan and Sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway! Stay home and stay away from there, too. I don't need the competition for hotels and air fares there either.

But oddly enough, I've been reading more about rampant pickpockets in Barcelona (both at this website and via the US State Department) than about crime or security issues in Dubai, Oman, Bahrain or Qatar. Strange, that.

There is actually a chance I will go on a Greek Isles cruise in October with a group of mine.

I could go on 3 Caribbean trips for the price of this Dubai one, but I do hope to see much of the world. I've been to Japan and a number of other places in that region, and I do love that and know my husband might enjoy that since he also has been a number of places but not Japan.

I particularly want to get to Dubai and India and don't feel either are unsafe. I am not thrilled about flying all the way across Saudi Arabia, but anything could happen to me here in the U.S. just as easily. I am sure we may not do as much FIT in Oman as we might in SE Asia, but it should be an educational experience. There are 2 sea days, and there will be a historian on board. We are also looking forward to trying the medallion suite and welcome the sea days since that thing never dropped below 20% off, and even w/ Venetian and the 2% onboard of booking 20 months in advance, it is 27% off.

Duct tape, I did not get you that once was enough but you are going back?? You mean once was not enough?

I imagine a return. I like the Dubai to Mumbai vs. Dubai to Dubai. I am not sure I could get my husband to Iran. I wish we were staying longer than we are in Dubai, but I am welcoming at least the 3 day exposure we will get.

Oh I would give my " eye teeth" to go to Dubai, we have been to Oman and through the Suez Canal~~ Sharm El sheik was A + for our snorkeling

oh well maybe next year our plate is full this year

Have a wonderful trip need I say~~:rolleyes:

Archived