Question For San Diego Resident

Hi:

Will by flying in to San Diego on Thanksgiving Day for a cruise on the 23rd. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn On The Bay and was wondering if you could tell me if restaurants will be open for dinner?

We were going to go to Ruth's Chris, but their website would not accept a reservation; yet they would for the previous Saturday.

If you could make any suggestions, we would be very appreciative.

I am not a big Ruth Chris fan. It is a chain...you can find them all over, and I think they are over priced.

There are a number of restaurants in San Diego that serve Thanksgiving dinner. As it gets closer to the holiday they will advertise in the paper, but I would recommend checking out some of the following (all in hotels):

The Hotel del Coronado (a buffet in the gorgeous Crown Room)

The Westgate (a brisk walk from your hotel)

Sally's (near Seaport Village)

Lael's (Manchester Grand Hyatt)

Molly's Restaurant, Marriott Hotel (Marina)

Also

Cafe Pacifica (Old Town area)

For something different, you might want to consider a dinner cruise on Hornblower harbor excursions.

Or consider the San Diego Zoo (their restaurants are quite good). This is what they offered in 2006:

San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, SD, 619-557-3964. Albert's Restaurant, three-course dinner with choices including vegetarian entrée, $25; kids, $13, maximum party of six people; noon--5:00 p.m. Treetops Dining Room, buffet including free-range turkey, $30; kids, $18, seatings at noon, 2:30 p.m., 5:00 p.m. Reservations required. Zoo entry free for Zoo members, regular charge for nonmembers.

For simple and homey, try the Hob Nob Hill (a short cab drive from your hotel)

For very elegant, you might try Bertrand's at Mr. A's.

• 2 weeks later...

Splinter.....

Is HornBlower the only company that offers dinner cruises ?? I remember one a few years ago that was a more casual offering....this would be for month of November, if that makes a difference

We were at the zoo last year on Thanksgiving Day. If you are able, I would do that - it's open, there is almost NO ONE there, and they offer a nice dinner at restaurant in the zoo. Do a Google search for the zoo and see what you find. It's not very far from the port/airport either. We really enjoyed it. Also had dinner at a place called Nicks on the Beach - about a 10 minute drive from the zoo - they had a regular menu and a Thanksgiving menu also (with traditional fare)....Check it out - and we were able to make reservations. Good luck!

Archived