Roll Call: Spirit: 10/20 Ist to Alexandria; on to Dubai

JaneBP

Hello Jane,

We will be on the segment Alexandria to Dubai for boarding on November 3rd. First we are leaving on October 16 for a long land/Nile cruise in Egypt with a tag on night in Alexandria before we board. It will be great to meet you at the Sky Bar. Wonder who our great bartender will be? We too are staying in Dubai two more nights before returning home. Which hotel did you choose for Dubai. I think we have about 4 reservations on hold still trying to decide. And no, it is not the Burj!

Presently, we are researching for the Seabourn Med Cruise - Athens to Rome. August 18th- September 1. Can't wait to visit the Croatian ports and

most of all just to be on Seabourn again.

Terrific! Does that mean that some of the ports will be a repeat of your first journey? I wish I had more time in Egypt. When I was in 8th grade, we studied ancient Egypt and I sent my report to Nasser. I wish I could find the letter he wrote to me, inviting me to visit. But that was a long time ago.

I am staying at the Hilton on the Creek. I stayed there on my first trip to Dubai and found it very nice. It's the home of Gordon Ramsay's first restaurant outside of London, Verre. The concierge staff was quite helpful. I really liked the rooftop deck with the pool, where one can look over the city. I hope to have lunch again at the Burj, in the seafood restaurant. I loved the aquarium. I hope to do lots of souk shopping and might even go to the mall this time. But I am not packing my skis, however!

I can understand the attraction of the Croation ports. I am still trying to read up on the history; perhas if I had paid more attention in HS freshman European History, it wouldn't be so confusing. I don't think our teacher ever really thought we would have to spell Montenegro. I bought Roy Willis' book, Vol 2, on world history to help me.

Philly has the King Tut exhibition and some great 'Egyptian' IMAX movies. I plan to see them to get inspired.

See you soon!

Hi Jane,

I know there will be some repeats of ports during the Egypt part but we wanted to see as much as we could and in more depth that is why we decided to book a longer pre cruise tour with Ker and Downey. I too, was mesmerized by the Egyptian Museum in San Jose when I was just a 'tot' many many years ago. I do understand there will be a new documentry on Egypt in the middle of July on the National Geographic Channel so am going to tivo that when I find out when and what time.

Also, I want to think of Petra. We are toying with getting a private driver or taking the ships excursion. Still need to make up our minds on this one.

Probably will make a decision on the Dubai hotel about a month before. One reservation is at the Kempinski near the mall. We definitely want to do the Aquarium restaurant at the Burj too, but haven't decided if it should be for lunch or dinner. And gold shopping, need I address...........

For our August trip:

Croatia should be interesting. We just returned from an April trip on the Danube from Vienna to the Black Sea. The whole trip was fascinating especially the area ports in Croatia, Serbia and Romania. Now we get to see the Med. stops.

We just booked a driver for an all day trip in Sorrento. I definitely wanted to go to Pompeii but wanted to do the Almalfi drive along with seeing Positano. We found a driver/guide to do the 'whole enchilada' at a fraction of the cost.

Look forward to meeting you on the Alexandria - Dubai portion. Have a wonderful pre our meeting time on board.

I am of mixed thoughts about Petra. I have had some advice from Granny Lorr and read her blog. Because I travel alone, I sometimes get a car and driver through Seabourn.

I had lunch at the Burj, and had cocktails upstairs for the view. Children under 12 are allowed at lunch, not dinner, if that helps. It wasn't busy at lunch when I was there. I shall probably do that again. I could reach out my arm and touch the walls. Fortunately, they give you a guide to the fish you are seeing. I had lobster, just in

case a relative was watching.

I think a Danube cruise might be in my future, so will have questions for you in November.

Jane

Jane I am looking forward to your impressions of Dubai - I hope to visit there someday. Will you be staying as one of the lavish beach resorts?

I was there 3 years ago, and found it fascinating. Mind you, it was one of the few non-Eurocentric countries I have been to. It was also during Ramadan. Speaking of Islam, I found a small green sticker on the TV stand, pointing the way to Mecca.

The Hilton on the Creek is in the town, and they do have a beach property as well. As for pampering, I leave that to Seabourn. I am not a beach person, so will probably get my fill of posh and palms with lunch at the Burj, as mentioned.

I imagine that the buildings being erected will really have changed the skyline. But I want to shop for spices and gold. We get a desert event on Seabourn, so that might be enough. I might go to Abu Dabi for the day, just for a look see.

Jane

Archived