Has anyone stayed here before sailing out of Miami

Hello, to all that have all the good advice. So, I have one for ya. Has anyone every stayed at the Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, on North Bayshore Dr.? If so, please tell me what your experience was at this hotel and the location for things to do the day before we cruise? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We stayed there last October pre-cruise for 3 nights. I would not stay there again. The room was nice enough...we were upgraded to a suite. But the building is something like 40 stories and the hotel is only 3 of those and those are lower floors. The pool is a rooftop pool on the lower portion of the hotel, and it is a large pool with a huge hot tub. More like 4 hot tubs interconnected. No pool service at all, and no drinks served anywhere near the pool. There is only a vending machine. If you want a drink, you have to get in the elevator and go to the lobby where there is a restaurant with a bar. Don't know that you could take it to the pool though. There is a nice view of the bay and the port of Miami from the pool deck. The building seems old and worn down. But the rooms were nice enough. Get a bay view and you can see the ships come in in the morning. The biggest problem was location. You have to take the train or a cab anywhere you want to go. You could walk to bayside, but it is a little bit of a walk and bayside really bored me. Nothing to do at all in the general area of the hotel. We ended up taking a cab to South Beach every day and night for lunch, dinner and drinks. All in all, I felt like I was satying in someones condo. And most of the people in the pool were residents. Let me know if you have any questions.

we're at the ritz south beach the week before our cruise and then driving down to the keys and back before boarding, so will be coming to the port from key largo

Just out of curiosity, how does this apply to the OP's question?

My other option is to stay at the Surfcomber, so what would be your suggestion??? There is about a 59.00 difference in the price. Biscayne is 159.00 and surfcomber is 209.00. What would you choose????

My other option is to stay at the Surfcomber, so what would be your suggestion??? There is about a 59.00 difference in the price. Biscayne is 159.00 and surfcomber is 209.00. What would you choose????

I think I would choose the Surfcomber just for location alone. And the fact that it is all Hotel and no condos. I would be happier there. Have fun!

love2sail---we stayed there 2 weeks ago and loved it. For us it was very fancy. When we drove up the front part they took our car and parked it underneath the hotel. When we went out later and the next morning when we left, we called down and it was waiting for us. We had a big room, not a suite, but the biggest hotel room I ever stayed in. Very clean. Furniture is a bit worn looking but everything very clean. It was very quiet in the halls, sometimes never saw a soul. The room had 2 double beds, a couch, sitting chair and desk and chair. Our balcony overlooked the marina and off to the right is the port. When we arrived on sat, the Liberty was there and we saw it leave. Sunday morning I was up at 5 to see the Freedom pull in. The hotel does hold mostly residents. When you walk into the lobby, the resident area is straight ahead and the hotel desk is to your left. To the right is a mall area with shops and eaterys, which are high priced. We went to the pool area but it was drizzling rain so we didn't swim. The pool is huge and very clean. That evening we drove to Bayside Marketplace, about 5 minutes away. We ate there and walked around. Very nice place. If you are like me and usually go to Motel 6s and Days Inns, you know, hotels where you park in front of your room!! Then you will really like it there. I booked a double room with bay view on their website and it was 142.00. The valet parking is 24.00. Wasn't happy that I didn't have another option but they took care of my car and were timely with bringing it up. They even opened and shut the door for you. I hope this helps. I know when I was planing on staying there I couldn't find many reviews on it so I wanted to help you out.

Tina

Perhaps you could explain why your options are limited to those two hotels? There are a number of very good hotels in the vicinity of Bayside Marketplace. I know nothing about the two you mention, but have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami, and the Radisson Miami. I know other folks who have had good experiences at the Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn Bayside and others in the area.

If you are truly limited to those hotels, I am sure that someone here can give you their reaction to each or both.:)

Only cause I am signed up through a TA that is putting on the Paula Deen Cruise. I am signed up through them. I don't have to stay at these hotels just, would be more convenient due to all of this group staying in those hotels and the transfer.

Thanks for the clarification. If you are traveling as part of a group, it is frequently more convenient to stay where the rest of the people are staying. Given that situation, I will defer to anyone on these boards who has previous experience with either of the properties in question. I have to believe that any large reputable group will not elect to put you in anything that won't be quite satisfactory. If they will be holding any functions or activities during the time you are in Miami, you might take that into consideration when making your decision. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Hate to admit it, but until I googled her name, I had no idea who Paula Deen was. LOL

Archived