Swim With Turtles

daneicy80

I am interested in swimming with the turtles in Barbados. We are currently looking at the RCCL excursions but was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion as to an island operator that runs a half day tour to see them. Please let me know about your experiences or if you have done this tour through a cruise ship and whether you enjoyed it or not. Thanks.

We sailed on the ms Westerdam (HAL) in March/April this year. When we were in Barbados, we booked the turtle swim through the excursion office.

In short, we LOVED it!

There was a 20 or so minute boat ride out to the turtle site. The operators briefed everyone one on safety and how to treat the turtles. No fins were allowed as these may inadvertantly hit the turtles. The operators fed the turtles and 4 or 5 turtles were around us. Also a large tarpin showed up to see what was going on. I got some great underwater photos of the turtles!

Following the snorkelling, we were taken on shore for rum punch, banana boat rides, and wave rider rides - those were a BLAST!! A green monkey showed up to see what all the fuss was about.

We were taken back to the pier in plenty of time to do some shopping in town.

You may find a better price for the tour, but we definitely encourage you to go for it!

We are going to be in Barbados in Jan 05 nad have booked with El Tigre http://www.eltigrecruises.com/ for the Catamaran / Snorkelling with Turtles tour they offer.

This is the info we were given:

"This is a 3:00 PM to 6:30 PM tour that takes you snorkeling with the sea turtles and includes: an open bar, transportation to and from the cruise terminal and all snorkeling and safety equipment. El Tigre initially priced the excursion @ $40 pp"

We are in Barbados from noon until 10pm so this fit in perfectly for our group.

• 1 month later...
We sailed on the ms Westerdam (HAL) in March/April this year. When we were in Barbados, we booked the turtle swim through the excursion office.

In short, we LOVED it!

There was a 20 or so minute boat ride out to the turtle site. The operators briefed everyone one on safety and how to treat the turtles. No fins were allowed as these may inadvertantly hit the turtles. The operators fed the turtles and 4 or 5 turtles were around us. Also a large tarpin showed up to see what was going on. I got some great underwater photos of the turtles!

Following the snorkelling, we were taken on shore for rum punch, banana boat rides, and wave rider rides - those were a BLAST!! A green monkey showed up to see what all the fuss was about.

We were taken back to the pier in plenty of time to do some shopping in town.

You may find a better price for the tour, but we definitely encourage you to go for it!

Okay, I'll bite...GREEN Monkey? So which islands have the monkeys? Just Barbados or what? We have an upcoming 12/2005 xmas cruise over there and just started research...I'm afraid I didnt hear about the monkeys...this is exciting! Do tell!

Archived