driving from england to wales

You will see signs saying "Welcome to Wales" in both English and Welsh. You will also notice all the normal road signs (directional signs and warning signs) will have Welsh as their first language, but also an English translation.

The only place that has anything different is a bridge across the River Severn into South Wales which has a toll booth. You may well encounter this if you are travelling from London as it is on the main route you are likely to take.

Nick.

Is there a checkpoint?:confused:

Yes: Checkpoint Cymru.;) (Watch for the signs saying Croeso i Cymru--a sure indication that you are about to leave Herefordshire or Shropshire.)

Also, look you, the sheep baa with a different accent, isn't it?:D

Of course they are two separate countries - what a ridiculous statement to make Globaliser. Not like you at all.

There are now two bridges into/out of South Wales and you pay the toll when you go in from England, not when you come out.

Cymru am Byth!

Croeso i Cymru - (meaning welcome to Wales !)

Marge M

We will be in england next summer and thinking of driving to Wales before our cruise. Is this like crossing state lines or is there a check point? :confused:

Can I be sensible & ask where are you planning to visit in Wales & how much time have you got, bearing in mind the traveling times & transport you are planning to use

There are no check-points, (although in South Wales you will have to pay a toll to cross the bridge) just beautiful scenery, lots of sheep, a different language & stepping back in time by 50yrs. :D

Im not Welsh but spend as much time as possible there & I love it.

KND2006 give us "British" more info & we will help

Us Brits are helpful like that.....:)

Dorisday-

Thanks for your response, we are coming to England 5-6 days prior to the departure of the cruise next year that takes us to England, Ireland, Scotland and France and we are trying to decide where to spend our time. We have been to London in the past and are not sure if we want to stay in London again or explore other areas. We are considering going to Wales for a few days and we were not sure if this was as easy as crossing state lines or the more involved like the U.S to Canada.

Are there any areas that you would suggest us explore. Is it worth the effort for us to go to Wales or is there anywhere else that you would reccommed? Our cruise leaves from Southampton.

Are there any areas that you would suggest us explore. Is it worth the effort for us to go to Wales or is there anywhere else that you would reccommed? Our cruise leaves from Southampton.

As I am Welsh I am a little biased so of course Wales is worth the effort. Just spent last weekend entertaining visitors from Pittsburgh- we went to beaches, country parks, castles- both Norman built and then to address the balance, a 11th century one built by a Welsh Lord, three lovely restaurants, local markets, and we didn't go anywhere near the usual tourist places - such as Cardiff, Gower Coast, Pembrokeshire or North Wales.And they loved everything.

What would you be interested in?

Lauraam-

We love all the same things you just described. We do not always like the typical crowded tourist spots. We enjoy just exploring and finding new things. A very casual and laid back tour is what we look for the most.

How far from London is it to Wales? Where would you suggest we try to stay?

Lauraam-

We love all the same things you just described. We do not always like the typical crowded tourist spots. We enjoy just exploring and finding new things. A very casual and laid back tour is what we look for the most.

How far from London is it to Wales? Where would you suggest we try to stay?

On a good day with traffic I can do Cardiff to Heathrow in 2 hours , on a bad day like a Friday night you can add another hour at least.In another 45 minutes you can reach the end of the M4 motorway and the area I live in. Places to visit here are

castles: http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/default.asp?id=6&PlaceID=82 or

or

http://www.castlewales.com/carreg.html

National Botanic Garden

http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/

Dylan Thomas' home

http://www.dylanthomasboathouse.com/english/index_e.html

Tenby, further west

http://www.virtualtenby.co.uk/

St Davids- smallest city in Britain

http://www.stdavids.co.uk/

Sites for tourist info

Carmarthenshire

http://www.tourlink.co.uk/

Pembrokeshire

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/

If you are considering visiting South Wales, and are even vaguely interested in industrial history, can I recommend you go to The Big Pit.

It is a coal mine where they take you underground to try and give you an impression of coal mining through the years. It is an excellent experience, and incidentally free to visit (which is the icing on the cake). It will also give an interesting contrast to the beautiful countryside areas already recommended.

It's website is HERE

Nick.

If you do come to South Wales I highly recommend a visit to the Welsh National Folk Museum, Its a absolutely fascinating place. It has many dwellings, Houses, Farms, Schools, Shops, Flour Mills, Tannery, Wheel Makers, and many many more to numerous to mention. All are fully furnished and functional , just as they were in different periods of time , right back to Stone age buildings. Artisans and Craftsmen carry on their crafts as you watch, and you just never know what you will see. An added bonus is its all free. !!

Oh, and we are three and a bit SEPERATE COUNTRYS ......[ Northern Ireland, Scotland , England and Wales] which are joined together to form the United Kingdom. :)

Wesh people are very welcoming and frendly , an Australian we had to stay a few years ago, who had been travelling around the world for two years, said "Wales is the best keep secret in the world ! "

If you do come to South Wales I highly recommend a visit to the Welsh National Folk Museum, Its a absolutely fascinating place. It has many dwellings, Houses, Farms, Schools, Shops, Flour Mills, Tannery, Wheel Makers, and many many more to numerous to mention. All are fully furnished and functional , just as they were in different periods of time , right back to Stone age buildings. Artisans and Craftsmen carry on their crafts as you watch, and you just never know what you will see. An added bonus is its all free. !!

Oh, and we are three and a bit SEPERATE COUNTRYS ......[ Northern Ireland, Scotland , England and Wales] which are joined together to form the United Kingdom. :)

Wesh people are very welcoming and frendly , an Australian we had to stay a few years ago, who had been travelling around the world for two years, said "Wales is the best keep secret in the world ! "

There are so many great castles to visit in Wales, too! We stayed a week there in the quaint village of Laugharn where the poet Dylan Thomas lived and loved the ambience. St. David's is also a very interesting ancient village where we spent a full day.

There are so many great castles to visit in Wales, too! We stayed a week there in the quaint village of Laugharn where the poet Dylan Thomas lived and loved the ambience. St. David's is also a very interesting ancient village where we spent a full day.

Glad you enjoyed Wales- Laugharne is so pretty and lots of great walks and places to eat and drink LOL St Davids can be a bit touristy but great views along the coastal path which runs around the coast of Pembrokeshire.

Dinner at:

Lucknam Park, Colerne, near Bath

01225 742 777

a la carte c.£55 pp

or

Whatley Manor, Easton Grey, Malmesbury

01666 822 888

Menus £30 - £75

... and getting near London, further along the M4 ... a couple of amazing "treats"

The lengendary Waterside Inn or the extraordinary Fat Duck:

Waterside Inn, Ferry Road, Bray

01628 620 691

Menus £42 - £91 + 12.5% service or carte

The Fat Duck, High Street, Bray

01628 580 333

Menus £98 + 12.5% service or carte

Bray has the highest concentration of multiple Michelin etoil'd establishments in the UK.

Good Eating and Cruising to all!

|||||

o Q

<

__

|>o<|

Head for Ynyshir Hall, Eglwysfach, Machynlleth.

01654 781 209

Menus £32 - £74 pp

Superb!

Good morning, you were up early today !! You should have added the word " wealthy before the word "Gourmets " . !! :D I would love to be able to eat at those prices.

PS. I just did a spell check and it definatly was not very happy with your Welsh names. Looks like it has a problem with Welsh spelling. :rolleyes:

During our all-too-brief sojourn in Wales some years ago, my wife and I really enjoyed visiting Chirk Castle.

My hubby wants to do a Russia, Baltic etc. cruise . When you come back, find me somewhere on the boards, and let me know how it went etc. You never know I may have a moment of madness one day, and take him there !! :D

Archived