Alaska cruise with kids. Which ship and will kids get bored?

sewolverine

Hi,

I'm new here and have some questions. We took our first cruise in May on the Disney Wonder. The kids had a great time! We'd like to try a 7 night cruise next. We are currently booked on the Magic Western Caribbean, but I'd like to try something other than the Caribbean.

Alaska seems appealing, but I'm wondering if the kids will get bored. They would be 7 and 10 at the time of the cruise. Both of my boys are high functioning autistic, so I always worry about how they will do on our vacations. I always wanted to travel the world, but didn't think that would be possible since my boys are so resistant to change. But they did so well on the cruise, I'd love to give it a try.

So tell my about cruising Alaska with kids. Which cruise line would be best? If Alaska isn't kid friendly, what other cruises would be good?

Thanks!

There will be less children on a cruise to Alaska than the caribbean but there will still be a good number of children on board.

It's alway difficult to recommend something to someone you don't know. There is no question that Disney has the best children's program out there and no other cruise line compares with them in my opinion. Clearly, Disney is about kids. Many other cruise lines have childrens programs and do a nice job with them but you are not going to have things such as the Disney characters and some of the things they do. I'm not saying that's a big deal but that's my point about not knowing precisely about what your children will or will not like.

With that said, Alaska can be a wonderful experience for children as there will be much to see in the various ports and the scenery is beautiful.

There are several ships who have children's programs. A couple of them that I am familiar with since when our children were young they were in the programs are Celebrity and Princess. On top of that both cruise lines have been cruising in Alaska for quite some time and do a nice job for the rest of the family too.

Keith

I have done 4 cruises to Alaska. It is absolutely beautiful. The air is crisp and clean and unlike the Caribbean- you can walk around in the ports without being hounded to buy anything. Alaska is very safe and a great place for kids to run around off the ship.

I have cruised to Alaska on Norwegian and Princess and had a wonderful time on all of the cruises. So did my kids.

If I had to pick a ship to cruise to Alaska- I'd go with the Celebrity Infinity roundtrip out of Seattle (in 2008). Celebrity is my favorite line and they are great with kids.

Thanks for the replies! I think the kids will be with us mostly. We would only leave them in the kids clubs a couple of times during the cruise.

I love the idea of not being hounded when you step off the ship. In Nassau, I felt like we were prey being stalked at times. I know they are just trying to earn a living, but it was a turn-off for me. Especially traveling with autistic children, you really just want to be left alone and not constantly followed by people pushing their goods or services.

Alaska seems like a good option for us. I'd also love a European cruise, but so far, they all seem like 10 day cruises. We're looking for a 7 night cruise for 2009.

We've gone on five cruises with DD (two Mexico, two Caribbean, one Alaska). DD was six years old on our first Alaska cruise and will be 12 years old when we cruise Alaska this August. If you ask her which cruise was her favorite, she'll tell you Alaska--with no hesitation! She was so excited when we decided to cruise Alaska again. :)

She loved the ship and the ports--had a great time on our excursions. I've involved her in the planning this time, so she's even more excited. There's so much in Alaska that appeals to kids.

We cruised Alaska on the Carnival Spirit in 2001 and chose the same ship for this Alaska cruise as well. The naturalist on board is great and the Spirit visits Sitka, which we loved last time.

Happy sailing!

Jayne

AK has some great things to offer families!

On the "free" to very inexpensive side - there are lots of hiking opportunities (for a price, take the gondola ride up Mt Roberts in Juneau - great hiking), Glacier viewing (again in Juneau, you can do public transportation to Mendenhal), totem poles (Ketchikan has great ones scattered about the city and an inexpensive public museum), Yukon gold rush history (visit the national park service's facilities in Skagway).

Otherwise the excursions are great for kids! We took a helicopter up to a dog camp on a glacier, have done the White Pass railroad trip (is a bit long for some kids), gone to the Raptor Center, and done wildlife viewing cruises. Others like the Lumberjack show (in Ketchikan), and dog "sledding" (on wheels).

Our DD has been to AK on cruises twice with us (age 7 and 9) and loved it both times. There isn't beach time, but we aren't beach people anyway!

She's enjoyed the kids programs which were geared toward the AK culture and destinations. And there were plenty of kids on board both times.

Look for a ship that has a domed or indoor pool. That way, on sea days the kids can always go swimming. We did Alaska when our son was four and had a great time. We took the cheapie bus to Mendenhall Glacier and just did self guided walking tours in Ketchikan and Skagway. Oh and we did the horse drawn trolley tour in Ketchikan which was a great way to get our bearings. My son was thrilled to see bears, whales, dolphins and eagles. We all had a great time!!!

On Norwegian (Sky) the outdoor pool was heated. You might want to find out if the pools are heated on your cruise. On Princess we didn't use the pool- instead we used the giant hottubs at the back of the ship.

Kids will tend to use the hottubs- maybe more than the pool.

I know that Holland America has an indoor pool but from what I heard they do allow smoking in this area and that would bother me.

• 4 weeks later...

We went on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in June 2006 w/a 10 and 14 year old. they loved it! Ship was very clean and family friendly. The staff was great with the kids, and both of mine loved going to the kids room appropriate for their age. the outdoor pool was too cold, but they had special times that kids could swim in the covered pool. So mine took full advantage of those times when we weren't in port. We were fairly early in the season for families, so the pool wasn't too crowded, and since the all the kids using the pool seem to behave, I didn't see anyone really complaining. Kids loved the scenery and stops in the port towns. If excursions are too overwhelming, the towns are nice to just get off and walk around and do a bit of sightseeing. We enjoyed Juneau and Ketchikan the best, in Skagway the train was fun but the town is a bit touristy. Good luck! They are even asking when we can go back....

I did the Celebrity Mercury to Alaska in August 2006, with my 9 yr old and 12 yr old, and they loved it. The "indoor" pool point was a good one, and this ship had it. There is lots to do in the ports that could please any kid....the lumberjack show was very kid -friendly and we also did a "mock" modified dog sled tour (cheaper than the real thing) with a sled on wheels, pulled by the huskies thru a forest trail.

We all had a great time.

Just came back from NCL Pearl to Alaska with grandkids 6 and 8. I disagree with OP. I believe there are more kids on these cruises because they are when school is out. The kids had a great time on all tours and in kids camp. Great things to see and many tours are for kids............... mushers camp, whale watching, Indian village with wood carving of totem poles, lumerjack show, and train ride. My grandson didnt want to get out of bed the last day because he didnt want to get off ship. He was willing to stay another week even if we left. The pool was heated and was used everyday. They even enjoyed dressing for dinner and eating at all the different restaurants while ordering the many different meals from the adult menu. They even bowled and beat us and the rock climbing wall is for kids 6 and older. I feel Alaska is less boring than a Caribbean cruise.

I went on the Radiance a few years ago. We didn't take the kids but there were plenty of them and they all seemed to be having a good time. But they weren't overwhelming. The Radiance (or sister Serenade) is great for Alaska because nearly every where you go there are windows. And there's always something to see in Alaska.

I don't know about any of the other ships, but Radiance has mini golf, basketball court, rock wall and an adults only indoor pool. They open the indoor pool for a couple of hours each day for the kids to use since it's chilly.

I can not WAIT to take my kids to Alaska. DH and I thought it was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip before we went. We were wrong. We're going back. Just don't know when yet.

That all sounds great! I feel better about doing Alaska then. Which cruise ships are best with Alaska. I'm interested in in-door pools for the kids.

Thanks!:)

I have done Alaska cruises on both Diamond Princess (2004) and Celebrity Infinity (2007). The ports were similar--Diamond Princess (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria) and Infinity (Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Straight Point). We did not join any paid excursions because my kids were young and their napping schedule at our first Alaskan cruise didn't really coincide well with any paid excursions, so we just did the walking tour of each port on our own and it was enough. My kids didn't really like sightseeing, so they chose to stay on the ship on port days. Now that they are older, they can voice their thoughts better, so I let them choose whether to stay on the ship or get off the ship at ports they have been to before.

But my rule is that if we go into a port that the family has never been before, my kids are forced to get off the ship with the adults so we can have photos taken together. My children know the rule, so they always go with us if it's a new port of call.

I would say the kids club are similar for both Princess and Celebrity cruises to Alaska. Celebrity does have Leap Frog products on board which Princess does not. Children can swim in the indoor pools on Princess, but on Celebrity Infinity, the indoor pool is for adults only. So no swimming for the kids while on the Celebrity Infinity unless you want your children to brave the cold weather and swim in the unheated salty pool water.

The food is better on the Infinity, but Princess has a more interesting children's menu. Infinity's children menu changes every day, but Princess only has 1 children's menu. You know kids, variety is not really appreciated.

It would help if you are also traveling with another family with children the same age as your sons. I know high functioning autistic children will prefer to hang out with kids they are familiar with. But if you are traveling without companion for your sons, just be warned that your 2 sons will be split up into 2 areas because of their age. The 7YO will be with the 6-9 age group and your 10YO will be with the 10-12 age group. But you can discuss with your sons the night before what they can do the next day. The kids' club programs will be delivered to your stateroom the night before so you can choose the time slot that had the activity which appeal to your son.

Infinity had a lot of family activities planned at certain time slots, so you can join your children for that. I don't remember family activities planned by the kids' club people on the Princess.

Does your children have special talent in certain areas? It will be perfect to showcase those during talent shows. We were cruising with a 4YO high functioning autistic child in July. She did very well at the kids' club, but she had her sister and cousins with her. She also performed with other kids on stage during the talent show. You should have seen the proud look in her parents' eyes. Her parents did notify the kids' club counselors of her circumstance and were told what to expect and how to deal with her. But her behavior on the cruise was no different than other kids at the kids club that week. The only difference was that she didn't chat with other kids so she didn't make any new friends.

Infinity did not provide beepers, but I think Princess did, in case parents are needed.

Your children are older, so if they are interested in reading about wild life and Alaska in general, encourage it.

BTW, on our particular sailing, there were 246 kids on the ship. I've heard that Easter/Spring Break and Christmas can bring as many as 600 kids under 18 per sailing. Every week during summer sailings, there will always be 200+ kids on board. You can always inquire ahead of time on how many kids are on the ship during your particular sailing.

The entertainment shows (large-scale musicals) on the ship were great. My kids went to and enjoyed every one of them (except the comedian). They were thrilled to be able to perform on the same stage during the kids' club talent show.

My kids also loved the free ice cream and juices on the Infinity. Another thing my kids enjoyed was getting dressed for formal nights and then taking the formal family portraits.

My kids had a great time, but it wasn't because of Alaska. It was more a culmination of everything they have never before that appealed to them.

Post if you have more questions.

My kids can't wait for the Alaska cruise!

We're sailing out of Seattle on RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas. The kids have sailed this ship before and DH and I have sailed her twice.

They have an enclosed pool that has been typically for adults but I'm told on the Alaskan trips they have family time so the kids can enjoy the indoor pool.

Just came back from NCL Pearl to Alaska with grandkids 6 and 8. I disagree with OP. I believe there are more kids on these cruises because they are when school is out. The kids had a great time on all tours and in kids camp. Great things to see and many tours are for kids............... mushers camp, whale watching, Indian village with wood carving of totem poles, lumerjack show, and train ride. My grandson didnt want to get out of bed the last day because he didnt want to get off ship. He was willing to stay another week even if we left. The pool was heated and was used everyday. They even enjoyed dressing for dinner and eating at all the different restaurants while ordering the many different meals from the adult menu. They even bowled and beat us and the rock climbing wall is for kids 6 and older. I feel Alaska is less boring than a Caribbean cruise.

I am so pleased to hear this report... I was starting to wonder if I was crazy trying Alaska with my kids. They will be just turned 6 and nearly 9 when we *hope* to do this trip. (Summer 2009). Most people were telling me Caribbean over Alaska every time for young kids... Our kids love to travel and are used to it so I was hoping they would be ok but this has made me feel MUCH better about it all :D

Archived