We need new luggage, Help!!

harrynterry

I have several backpacks, duffels and carry on bags.

The one that has been so great is a red hardside Delsey with the 4 wheels. It protects mine and DH's breakables and as earlier mentioned it is not hard on the wrists. I have never seen another so is easy to pick out at the baggage carousel.

I have had it for 6 years and it has flown hundreds of times and cruised several and is still not damaged. Worth every penny!

Have fun..

MeMe

I have an old Riccardo purchased at Costco 10 yrs ago- still going strong. Just purchased Delsey Helium lite for my son at ebags.com and TJ Max -got very good prices, the pieces are very light and well made. I tried lifting the luggage with the builtin scale and found it to be very heavy in the store. I'd rather get light weight and weigh it myself

We travel often and I travel very frequently on business. Our experience is that price is Not a measure of quality. The most recent buy, four years ago, is a Costco Kirland brand roller, 21" I believe. It was about $90. I use it just about every week. It is the largest carry on-it and fits on the MD80, 737, Embauer, and Airbus. It has been the best piece of luggage that we have ever had. Just finished taking it on a three week European trip...air, trains, bus, cobblestones..the lot. It looks like new. This is what I take on cruises as well. Look for the ballistic fabric, good handles on the botton, and sides, heavy duty stitching.. and above all good wheels. We have done the 'factory outlet' routine and found that there are no bargains-just the appearance of bargains. Forget the fancy locks, they really are useless if someone really wants to open the luggage. Purely for peace of mind..nothing else. Here is a tip..if you have a luggage repair shop in your area, go in and speak to them. We have done this and it was an eye opener! And, as previously mentioned, DON'T select black.

Look for a color other than black! I found a great deal on a Delsey that is bright blue.

my experience with non-black pieces is that they really show the grit (oil, scuffs, etc.). I'd rather have black and just put a brightly colored strap around it.

I have Travel Pro luggage.

I've had a lot of luggage over the years; thought Atlantic was very good... until I bought a TravelPro carryon. A bit pricey but needed the longer handle for DH's height so went for it. Well I'm now a convert. LOVE TRAVEL PRO - think it's worth the premium paid.

We travel via air more than cruising. We have a attic full of cases that have been beaten to death by the luggage handlers, are to big for the 50lb limit- and don't fit the bill anymore, and we spent lots of $$ for all of them, so can't make myself getting rid of them. Use to worry about high quality and high price. The baggage handlers throw around expensive bags around maybe more than the cheap ones.

been there, done that. Finally "let go" by giving them to an Indian co-worker traveling back to his family's homeland. He was grateful to have them because he had to take lots of presents... and I was grateful to see them put to good use! In the past, he shipped his stuff in boxes so this was a win-win situation for both of us.

We have TravelPro also. We've loved it for all of our land/air travel. Have you had any problems storing them under the beds on cruise ships. We will using ours on a ship for the first time in January.

Just wanted to add one more thumbs up for TravelPro. We've had a set of Ricardo for 10 years (wedding present) that has served us very well, though we've already replaced the zippers in 2 bags and the garment bag bit the dust last summer. But, we've travelled a bunch and I feel we got a lot of good use out of the set.

When the garment bag died, though, I started doing my research and wanted to get the best bag I could that satisfied certain criteria of mine (it's the bag I use most, especially travelling on business with suits.) TravelPro came up again and again, and when I checked it out in person, I could see why. I couldn't be happier with the TravelPro garment bag I bought. It's very solid and has proven quite durable (the wheels are especially impressive), has more pockets and storage spaces than I know what to do with and has one amazing feature: I don't know how they do it, but something about the way they organize the "hanging" section has kept my clothes almost wrinkle-free (something I'd read about.) When I put my clothes in carefully and try to smooth out the wrinkles before closing it up, I've found that I arrive with amazingly few wrinkles in my clothes. On our last cruise in December '06, it took me less than 10 minutes with a hand steamer to work out the few wrinkles I found in all my shirts and slacks for a 7-day cruise (and believe me, no one ever accused me of underpacking.) :o I will definitely be going with TravelPro when it's time to replace the rest of the Ricardo pieces (which is fast approaching, I suspect.)

The only problem I've had is that the darn think has so much space I ended up incurring an overweight charge from an airline when I checked it once. :eek: But, I've learned my lesson on that one. ;)

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with your purchase!

I just went to Macy's to check out the TravelPro sale. The only style on sale is the Crew 6. But the salesperson said that the Walkabout Lite style will be sale priced next week. He said probably 50% and probably on Thursday (the 12th). Not much color variety. Crew 6 had black and a blue. Walkabout black and a dark red.

I just went to Macy's to check out the TravelPro sale. The only style on sale is the Crew 6. But the salesperson said that the Walkabout Lite style will be sale priced next week. He said probably 50% and probably on Thursday (the 12th). Not much color variety. Crew 6 had black and a blue. Walkabout black and a dark red.

I should have mentioned this, as well. I got mine on sale at Macy's 60% off! And, now that I'm aware of them, I see them on sale there at huge savings all the time. Happy shopping! :D

I just returned today from a quick getaway to Riviera Maya, and I looked at my sad, overworked 26" red suitcase. It has scuff marks all over, a broken outside pocket zipper, and I can't lock it because the metal whatevers have been bent. This past January, "Big Red" took a little detour to Eagle, Colorado, while my DH and I flew to FLL and set sail on the CB. Big Red and I were finally reunited in St. Maarten 5 days after parting company.

This Delsey bag has served me well for 7 years of rough handling and I wouldn't hesitate buying another Delsey. In fact, I do think it's time to travel with a shiny new, clean bag! When I saw this thread, I thought: it's karma!

As someone else posted, I buy all my luggage at TJMaxx. The prices can't be beat.

I just returned today from a quick getaway to Riviera Maya, and I looked at my sad, overworked 26" red suitcase. It has scuff marks all over, a broken outside pocket zipper, and I can't lock it because the metal whatevers have been bent. This past January, "Big Red" took a little detour to Eagle, Colorado, while my DH and I flew to FLL

26"?????? :confused: :eek: :confused: I barely make it with a 28" or 30" You need to give me a packing lesson.

Several folks have mentioned TravelPro luggage so I went on eBay last night and did a search for it - then went to some of the retail sites to compare. There were some really good deals on eBay if what you are looking for is there!

I'm kinda in the cheaper luggage category myself. I've had expensive luggage that was ruined in one trip, and cheap stuff that lasted for years. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement anymore when I pick up my luggage - I just want it to be there :-)

26"?????? :confused: :eek: :confused: I barely make it with a 28" or 30" You need to give me a packing lesson.

Pia, my kids will tell you that I am the world's greatest packer. I've taken 3 kids off to college with half their earthly belongings in 1) a Toyota Corolla and 2) a Honda Accord.

When my DH and I cruise, we each take a 26" and then we take one carry-on for pre-cruise overnight and onboard bathing suits. I always pack completely - and then force myself to remove one entire outfit. I've never missed it.

In fact, when my suitcase went missing for 4 days this last cruise, I realized just how little I really needed!

My vote is for LLBean. They have a wide variety and their luggage is guaranteed for life. If it becomes damaged in any way, they will repair or replace it. We have started buying from them, and now don't worry at all about how it is handled.

We recently had a suitcase where the zipper just broke. Sent it back and they sent us a new suitcase -- free. No questions asked! Easy as pie!

In fact, when my suitcase went missing for 4 days this last cruise, I realized just how little I really needed!

I know HOW to take less, but I just don't do it. There's always one more and one more and.....you get the idea. Being Elite with Princess and having the laundry perk, I do take less than I used to; still too much.

Pia

Ricardo Beverly Hills gets my vote. Great looking and very well constructed luggage. I have the built-in scales and they also came with bonus cosmetic and laundry bag. I'm truly satisfied with this luggage.

I did not think I would ever say this. Time to stop posting on this thread.

This is becoming an ice cream or formal wear thread. Jeeez.

By the way, did I tell you about the new luggage I purchased from the Erik Estrada collection? I like to call it my Ponch Luggage.

LOL :D

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I got my best price on Travelpro Crew 6 at LuggagePros.com. Bought new everything in "Cinnamon" avoiding the black. (I was getting tired of black anyway) After going to Macy's sale I was able to beat the prices by quite a bit online with free delivery. It should arrive 7/16. I am very excited, we will try it out on a car trip for a week the first week of August.

There is always alot of help help here!

Archived