Place to stay in Talkeenta?

rotomu

I appreciate all the information I have gathered from this site!!! You guys are terrific. We're planning a June 2009 trip doing ouir own land portion. I've read the great reviews for the BB in Talkeenta, but our group will have 12 in it and we'd like to stay together and hers is not large enough. Any ideas? Would like it to be budget friendly, but it is Alaska so that is all relative.

P.S. I planned on staying at Talkeenta because we will be driving from Seward. Going to Alaska Saltwater Lodge the next couple of nights. Talkeetna also sounded like a neat place.

As an option- you could purchase all the downstairs "rooms" at the Roadhouse. :) http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/accomodations.htm

It would be less desirable if you had other visitors. :) Wonderful historic lodging that would be unique.

The Latitude has basic reasonable priced rooms, nice restaurant. The Swiss Inn is outside of "downtown" also with several rooms. http://www.swissalaska.com/

Might want to take a look at the options here: http://www.talkeetnatravel.com/lodging.php?userid=custGLU1hF. They seem to have a good variety and several that may accomodate a party of twelve. We're staying in the Latitude River Cabin (Option #11) next month...have never used these folks before, but they've been prompt with responses and seem to care about customer service.

Anyway, you'll love Talkeetna...neat, quirky little (and I mean little) town with plenty of character.

Andy

I appreciate all the information I have gathered from this site!!! You guys are terrific. We're planning a June 2009 trip doing ouir own land portion. I've read the great reviews for the BB in Talkeenta, but our group will have 12 in it and we'd like to stay together and hers is not large enough. Any ideas? Would like it to be budget friendly, but it is Alaska so that is all relative.

P.S. I planned on staying at Talkeenta because we will be driving from Seward. Going to Alaska Saltwater Lodge the next couple of nights. Talkeetna also sounded like a neat place.

We stayed at the Swiss Alaska Inn and and really enjoyed it. Budget Queen is right...it's outside the downtown area, but with a great walking path right into downtown, it was a great pick for us. It's very reasonable as well. We actually had a party of 9 people so your party of 12 shouldn't be a problem with this much time between now and June 2009! The rooms weren't big, but very quaint, clean; and decent rates as well!

Have a wonderful trip and happy planning!

We were just there last July and we loved the little-o-town of Talkeetna! I agree with the post above, it's little but has a lot of character:p ...oh, and the flowers...OMG, they were soooo vibrant, healthy and beautiful !!!

We stayed at the Talkeetna Lodge, an awesome place. It was clean, rooms were large, they had internet access and the foods at their restaurant was fantastic (their hot pastrami sandwich is a to die for...if you like that stuff):D . It was about 5 minutes away from "downtown Talkeetna" and they offered free shuttle around the clock. Almost most of their rooms have a view of Mt. McKinley!!

Check out their site: http://www.talkeetnalodge.com/479.cfm

Have fun planning:)

I wasn't impressed by the Roadhouse. We did not stay there so I can't comment on the rooms. We had a great bkfast there as well as wonderful cake one afternoon. I did go to the bathroom while we were there on one of the 2 occasions. It was disgusting. The room was dingy and had a horrible mildew smell. It was dirty and the bath mat on the floor (outside of the shower stall) was wet and really gross. I didn't want to go back into the bathroom on our 2nd visit. My friend took 1 look at it and refused to go it.

We stayed at the Talkeetna Lodge. We didn't get the McKinley view room (opposite side of the hall) since we figured that it was fairly unlikely we would see the mtn. and it wasn't worth the additional expense. We were right. We saw the mtn once while we were there (mostly covered in clouds) and we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. However, our room was on the ground floor and was very hot (no A/C). We didn't want to leave the 1 window open while we weren't in the room since someone could have easily pulled out the screen and stolen all of our stuff. We did open it while we were in the room. The rooms on the other side of the hall (classified as McKinley view rooms) were considerably cooler. The sun beat in our room but the other side was in the shade and had a great breeze. We had to leave the door to the hall open to get a decent breeze and bring the room temp down to 75 degrees (it was much hotter). I would suggest getting a 2nd or 3rd floor room if possible so you can safely leave the window open.

The McKinley rooms were exactly the same size but had a small refrig in the room. In the bathroom, they had a cotton balls and Q-tips. The non-view rooms didn't have any of these items. Still not worth the additional price to me. We paid $299 and I thought the room should have gone for about $150 or so. But, hey, you're in Alaska in the summer so rates are high!

My husband and I stayed at the Latitude 62 cabin and it was fantastic! It was probably one of the highlights of our trip. The cabin did not have much of a view but it was so peaceful and relaxing and best of all it was probably the least expensive of any of our lodging for our vacation. We also stayed at the Saltwater Lodge and if you have a large group rent the cabin right across the street from them. We stayed there two nights and the place is huge! Surrounded by lots of trees and we saw quite a few eagles in the trees. And the hosts were super nice and the breakfast was pretty dang good also.

Archived