Convertible or Tour for the Road to Hana

seansmum

Hi! I was wondering if I would be better off taking a tour bus or renting a convertible for the road to Hana. I don't think the driving will bother me since I drive a bus in the Adirondacks. I do want to take a lot of pictures and probably set up a tripod. Would the tour bus be too time restrictive for this? Thanks. :) I appreciate any input.

Sue

58 days and counting.:D

Great question, I have the same questions. We're leaning towards renting. The only thing I worry about with renting is missing the tour guide's great knowledge. Any suggestions on this?

Looking forward to reply's

About convertibles: Be aware that showers can happen on and off during the day. If it won't bother you to have to put the top up and down if this occurs, go for it! There are many books you can get to read up on the Hana Hiway -Maui Revealed is a great one. We like the freedom to stop when and where we want so we have never taken a guided tour.

I'd go for the convertible....or any other car. It gives you the option of stopping anywhere you want, not just where a tour guide thinks you should stop. The guide book is excellent, and there's also a CD available that will guide you on your trip. We used it the last time and it is very good.

We opted for a tour on the Road to Hana for our first trip to Maui in April because we were concerned about driving on that unfamiliar road with all the curves and one-way bridges. It was a very nice tour and we enjoyed it, but as it turned out, the curves and bridges were not really that bad after all. So we were sorry we had not rented a convertible and driven ourselves instead.

There are, of course, pros and cons both ways. We are the type who usually tend to avoid group tours and prefer to research our destinations in advance, rent a car and go on our own. Part of our enjoyment of any trip is in the advance planning and anticipation.

As others previously mentioned, we want the advantage of being able to choose when and where to stop, and for how long. We really hate the cattle car atmosphere of typical cruise line group tours: "Everyone back on the bus in 30 minutes." Besides, when you are in your own car you can control the level of the heat or air conditioning, whether the windows are open or closed, and whether or not there is a screaming child riding along with you.

For the Road to Hana, we went with Ekahi, the company discussed in another thread on this board, We had no complaints whatsoever about the company, the tour or the driver. We were lucky to have a good driver who was very nice, friendly and knowledgeable. We appreciated that they used a small van with comfortable seats, the windows were large and clean, and there were only about 10 passengers. But if we had gone in our own rental car, we would have stopped at some additional places where the tour van did not stop, and probably would have skipped or shortened the time at some of the places we did stop and spent more time at others.

For anyone who feels comfortable driving the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to Big Sur, I would say that the curves on the Road to Hana would be comparable and no more difficult. The one-way bridges (about which I had been so apprehensive) were not a problem at all. We never encountered the type of situation where you need to stop and back up on a bridge to let another car get by. The visibility is good as you approach each bridge. Drivers were very nice about stopping and letting traffic go from the opposite direction.

As for needing to put the top up or down on a convertible, we had a Chrysler Sebring convertible in Hilo where it rained off and on all day long when we went to Volcanoes National Park. It took less than a minute each time to pull over and put the top up or down, as needed, with the press of a button. Sue, I would not let the possibility of showers stop you from getting a convertible for the Road to Hana.

Thanks everyone for your response. I think we'll rent a convertible. I really want to enjoy the great camera my DH bought me and soak up the sights along the way. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a screaming child. That convinced me!!!!!!:D :D :D Thanks again!!!

Sue

58 DAYS & COUNTING:) :)

we rented a convertible and drove the road to hana, and it was great! bring sunscreen, though!

a recommendation: we had a chrysler crossfire convertible through thrifty (at the time i reserved it, it was actually cheaper than a "regular" convertible), and it was awesome. it make driving a breeze!

But we did the convertible route by ourselves for many reasons. Highly recommended!!!

Also, a note; if you are prone to motion sickness, you MUST take dramamine or be wearing a patch to do this road. I kid you not. You will get sick quicker than any roller coaster.

We just returned from NCL America's 7-day and did the 'Road to Hana' via tour bus. It is a rather intense twisty road (reminds me a little of driving around Bib Bear Lake,CA) that I felt was best handled by an experienced driver. I saw a lot of rental cars that, frankly were more of a hazard to the other drivers. They would stop for 'photo ops' at unsafe curves, swing wide on a blind curve, and generally make the bus driver's job more challenging. We felt that the pace was fine, and we had plenty of time for photos and great lunch was provided. Overall a great daytrip.

If you really want to rent a convertible, do it on Kauai. Much easier roads and plenty of great things to see.

The road to Hana has a much bigger reputation than it deserves. Yes, it's twisty. Yes, the bridges are narrow. Yes, there's a lot of cars and trucks and buses. However, for a good driver it's not a problem. There are those who stop suddenly to see something, but if you're aware of that going in, it shouldn't be a problem. I've driven it several times, both day and night, and never had a problem. Beware of the locals though. They know the road so well they drive faster than the tourists. If one pulls up behind you, pull over and let him/her by.

But we did the convertible route by ourselves for many reasons. Highly recommended!!!

Also, a note; if you are prone to motion sickness, you MUST take dramamine or be wearing a patch to do this road. I kid you not. You will get sick quicker than any roller coaster.

Amen to that! We drove it. Absolutely beautiful, wonderful unforgettable drive-except for the motion sickness.:( I had to get out several times and walk around and take some deep breaths of fresh air. Take some leftover snacks to feed the kitties that you will see at the different stops along the way.:)

Just found our "cheat sheet" notes for the Road to Hana. This is a compilation of the highlights to see along the way and where to stop that we put together when we thought we would be driving ourselves. It is a condensation of recommendations from travel books and other message board posters.

We wanted to have the information mile by mile, all together on one long, handy sheet of paper, because we did not want to sit in the car flipping through guide books as we drove along.

If anyone else can use this, you are very welcome to it. Feel free to personalize it with your own additions or deletions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maui- Road to Hana

- Starting Directions from Kahului harbor - Airport

Take highway 37 southeast to highway 36. Turn Left (east) on 36 to Hana

Be aware of the 2 places where highway number and mile markers change, noted below.

Numbers in parentheses refer to the mile markers.

Highway 36

- (bet 6-7) pass Paia - first part of Road to Hana drive starts here

- From Paia to Hana is about 42 miles -

After you leave Paia, just before bend in road, you'll pass Kuau Mart on left; a small general store - for picking up lunch. earlier you start on road, the better,

- recommend a foam cooler, ice, canned beverages, and some snacks before heading out. also tissues in case rest stops are out of toilet paper. See other places fo pick up stuff below.

- (bet 8-9) Hookipa Beach Park. - just before mile marker 9

one of greatest windsurfing spots on the planet

To watch the windsurfers, go past the park and turn left at entrance on far side of beach. Either park on the high grassy bluff or drive down to sandy beach and park alongside the pavilion. also has restrooms, a shower, picnic tables, barbecue area.

Best view is from first (highest) parking area above the beach.

- (10) Lower Puohokamoa Falls 8/10 mile past 10 mile marker on ocean side of road - turnout w/telephone pole + barbed wire fence

- around (11), rural area of Haiku, with banana patches, cane grass blowing in wind, and forests of guava trees, avocados, kukui trees, palms, and Christmas berry.

- past (12) Kaumahina State Wayside Park - short stroll to a coastal overlook. Walk into forest to see giant vines climbing into the sky and paper bark folding off trees

delightful small park affords wonderful view of ocean, the dramatic coast line and Ke'anae Peninsula in the background

- also slow down for view half-mile past 12 mile marker - no place to pull over

- past (14) large turnout great views

another 2/10 mile turnout even better

- Just before mile marker (15)

Maui Grown Market and Deli

914 Hana Highway. 7.5 miles past Paia: Last food stop for 30 miles (sandwiches, fruit drinks, restrooms). (tel. 808/572-1693),

but MR book says better place 20 miles ahead

- (16) the curves begin, one right after another. After 16, still called the Hana Highway,

**but changes from Highway 36 to Highway 360

- * Notice: mile markers go back to 0.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highway 360

- after mile (3 ) Huelo - vegetation seems lusher - edge of the Koolau Forest Reserve - From here on out, waterfall (and one-lane bridge) around nearly every turn in road,

- after (6) sharp U-curve uphill

- before (7) forest of waving bamboo. spectacular - Be very cautious. Wait until just after mile marker 7, at the Kaaiea Bridge and stream below, to pull over and take closer look at the hand-hewn stone walls.- turn around to see vista of bamboo.

- (9) small state wayside area with restrooms, picnic tables, and barbecue area.

sign says KOOLAU FOREST RESERVE, but attraction here is the Waikamoi Ridge Trail, easy .75-mile loop. start of trail just behind QUIET TREES AT WORK sign. well-marked trail meanders through eucalyptus, ferns, and hala trees.

- (14).5 turnouts - 2nd better view

- (16) Keanae Arboretum - off highway just before road into Kawnae Peisula

is free - has examples of 150 trees.

located half-way to Hana

.8 mile past mile marker 16: . Two 15 minute easy walking trails with view of rugged Hana coastline, picnic spots.

- (16) Kaenae Peninsula -

around mile marker 16, turnoff to the Keanae Peninsula is on left, just after the arboretum small nearly abandoned village community - one of most beautiful shorelines with large lava formations and rough ocean surf splashing up high on land. Some of my most beautiful stereo-photography (3-d) was taken here!

-We went down road to Keane -was worth it. first place down the road you can get close to the water easily. rocky coast had some great wave action, we happened to see a whale there (right time of year), a rock area that sounds like thunder with the right waves. (to left of the big car park area).

Follow the road until it ends. Park by white fence -take short, 5-minute walk along shoreline over the black lava. Continue along footpath through tall California grass to black rocky beach, separating the freshwater stream, Pinaau, which winds back into the Keanae Peninsula, nearly cutting it off from the rest of Maui.

excellent place for a picnic and swim in the cool waters of the stream notice the white PVC pipes sticking out of the rocks -- fishing-pole holders for fishermen

- Restrooms near ballpark.

Before ballpark, stand sells banana bread even better than at Halfway to Hana

(17) Photo Op: Keanae Lookout -- Just past mile marker 17 is a wide spot on ocean side of the road, where you can see the entire Keanae Peninsula's checkerboard pattern of green taro fields and its ocean boundary

- (17) + 1/3 mile -"Halfway to Hana" stand -banana bread + other snacks/drinks - very highly recommended on these boards

-(18) road widens; start to see numerous small stands selling fruit or flowers. Many work on honor system: leave money in basket and select your purchase.

-(18) Wailua Valley Lookout - .9 mile past mile marker 18:

Wailua Road off on the left.

Beautiful vistas up valley but skip - road dead ends - hard to turn around

- (18 - just before 19) Wailua Valley State Wayside Park on right side

Climb up stairs for view of the Keanae Valley, waterfalls, and Wailua Peninsula. Keanae Valley and Koolau Gap in Haleakala’s rim, plus taro patches.

Puaa Kaa State Wayside is great for a picnic in a rainforest with small waterfalls and pools

(19) Wailua Peninsula Lookout - .2 mile past mile marker 19: on ocean side -better view - pull-off area with parking

bet (22 - 23) Puaa Kaa State Wayside Park - sound of waterfalls provides background music - small park area with restrooms, phone, picnic area. a well-marked path to the falls and to a swimming hole. Ginger plants everywhere: Pick some flowers and put in your car

(25) Old Nahiku -- Just after mile marker 25 - narrow 3-mile road leading from the highway, at about 1,000 feet elevation, down to sea level -- and to the remains of the old Hawaiian community of Nahiku. remote and stunningly beautiful area At end of road, can see remains of the old wharf small picnic area off to side. Dolphins frequently seen in the bay.

- (32) Wainanapanapa State Park - just past 32 mile marker

(sign on right side of road headed toward Hana marking the left hand turn into the park). Drive back in and park car. view from the cliffs is just fantastic.

Take cool dip in spring-fed freshwater cave #1

beautiful lava formations including caves, arches, and blow holes. forest is very thick, with lots of coconut palms.

very nice restrooms here - clean and well maintained.

- ruggedly beautiful with lava outcropping just offshore from small, back sand beach.

water too rough for swimming.

a lot of hiking trails and area for picnicking.

It sprawls 122 acres - a picnic area, native hala forest, cave, blowholes, shoreline fishing and camping.

- really nice stop and the beach is beautiful

- Also the beaches just beyond Hana, Koki and Hamoa were nice to stop at. views really nice. If you want a nice "beach spot" either of these were really inviting.

- (34) Hana Turn left off Hana Highway at Keawa Place to pretty Hana Bay. nearby Hana Cultural Museum is open daily.

- If you stop at state park in Hana, venture down path that winds back to little hidden caves. a short walk that circles back to where you first start- very worth it.

Back on highway, stop at the Hasegawa General Store, established 1910 -sells products by local residents like celebrity Jim Nabor’s mac nuts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* 360 becomes Route 31 Beyond Hana

Notice -mile markers now go down from 51

- (45) Wailua Falls Fifteen minutes past Hana is 95-foot Wailua Falls; have camera ready, it’s right on highway.

-(43 or 42) Pools of Oheotour stops for an hour (also known as the Seven Sacred Pools) - opportunity to swim under a waterfall

-Oheo Pools is in Haleakala National Park. Get info by ranger station where you pick up trail heads. Take a 15-minute Kuloa Point loop trail down to the ocean

or the Pipiwai Trail - one hour each way - goes up to the 400-foot Waimoku Falls where you can swim among numerous cascading pools.

- Another optional stop after Hana is Charles Lindbergh's grave at the Palapalo Ho'omau Church Cemetery in Kipahulu.

- The return trip

It is now necessary to turn around and drive back the same way you came because the road ahead is still closed so you no longer have the option of driving the circular route and returning by the lower road.

Fleckle,

Wow that is great. I printed it out. I have copied and pasted a lot of info but never thought to but it all in order as you did.

Thanks so much for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

I just searched to find this post as it has great info. So I thought it might help others to bring it back up to page one .

Also I would love to see what others would add as do not miss spots on RTH.

Besides the 7 pools where can you safety swim? I'm also looking for short 5-15 minute hikes that worth the effort.

Thanks!

Archived