Hotel Help - Leaving Cape Liberty on 1/4/08, Driving in on 1/2

JerLon

I am driving (with my wife) into the NYC area on 1/2/08 and we have a cruise booked on RC leaving on 1/4/08. We're looking to get a hotel in the area for those two days and explore the city a bit.

Based on my observations, people seem to say the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City is the best bet. Is this incorrect? I would be open to staying in Manhattan or Jersey City, really, wherever we can be safe (have easy access to a subway or the PATH) and get the best rate.

Do the hotels in Jersey City charge for parking if you are staying in their hotel? I know the hotels I have stayed at in Manhattan do.

Any suggestions as to how to get the best rate at any hotels you might suggest to me (or the Hyatt)?

How easy is it to get from the Hyatt to Cape Liberty?

The Hyatt is a great place with a beautiful view of downtown Manhattan and if you can get a deal there jump on it. I've read that some people have had good luck with priceline.com. Go to this site and it'll show you reviews, distances and pertinent facts, this is a great tool for anyone cruising!

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=port-liberty-bayonne

I am driving (with my wife) into the NYC area on 1/2/08 and we have a cruise booked on RC leaving on 1/4/08. We're looking to get a hotel in the area for those two days and explore the city a bit.

Based on my observations, people seem to say the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City is the best bet. Is this incorrect? I would be open to staying in Manhattan or Jersey City, really, wherever we can be safe (have easy access to a subway or the PATH) and get the best rate.

Do the hotels in Jersey City charge for parking if you are staying in their hotel? I know the hotels I have stayed at in Manhattan do.

Any suggestions as to how to get the best rate at any hotels you might suggest to me (or the Hyatt)?

How easy is it to get from the Hyatt to Cape Liberty?

If you are sightseeing in Manhattan, stay in Manhattan.

That time of year hotels will be very reasonable and you will certainly be able to find moderate hotels for around $150 per night.

If you are sightseeing in Manhattan, stay in Manhattan.

That time of year hotels will be very reasonable and you will certainly be able to find moderate hotels for around $150 per night.

I disagree the Jersey City hotels are in the perfect location, convenient to both the port and to NYC. I would recommend the Hyatt or Candlewood Suites. You will be within a block of the PATH and ferry to NYC, and will have a spectacular view of the city! You will also be near the statue of liberty and ellis island! Enjoy!

I have been denied on priceline for a 3* in Jersey City up to $104 for 1/2-1/4.

Any ideas of a what I might do to better my chances? Those of you who suggested staying in Manhattan, what hotels do you suggest?

Anyone else bidding on priceline for these nights?

• 3 months later...

I would say steer clear of Candlewood Suites. We just stayed there prior to a Cape Liberty cruise on Explorer - not a good experience. They are a "long-term-stay" hotel according to the staff and they certainly treat their "guests" that way. There is no restaurant and many of the amenities you'd think come at a hotel don't exist here. Dining options in the area are minimal really. It is the financial district, but even things like a coffee shop or other quick breakfast place are blocks away. The staff was at best, friendly, and really not very helpful or knowledgable.

If there's anything in your price range the Hyatt looked great. If nothing else, go for a "real" hotel, not this place.

The Apple Core Group is showing Manhattan hotels for your dates starting at $134 per night.

The Empire Hotel Group is showing Manhattan hotels for your dates starting at $105 per night.

http://www.reservationpage.com/C00148/H00123/nra.aspx?gd=5b1d3d00-b8bd-4f72-b060-59953ba0b1bb&lg=1&pc=&nrn=0&cid=1/2/2008&cod=1/4/2008&ad=2&ch=0&igd=16967618&refnra=

http://www.applecorehotels.com/reserve/listrooms.cfm

The Hyatt Jersey City is showing rates that start at $179 for the same dates:

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/reservations/flow1/corpSelectedHotelRates.jsp?xactionid=1158aacd560&_requestid=535771

• 1 month later...
I have been denied on priceline for a 3* in Jersey City up to $104 for 1/2-1/4.

Any ideas of a what I might do to better my chances? Those of you who suggested staying in Manhattan, what hotels do you suggest?

Anyone else bidding on priceline for these nights?

I just got back to bidding again and bid on a 3* in Jersey City for $74 (don't ask why I started lower than before) and won my bid.

I'll be in the Hyatt from 1/2/08-1/4/08.

Archived