LA to Yosemite tour -- Will this work?

judyzoo

We’ll be out in California, around Los Angeles, next year for a cruise to Hawaii, and we’re unlikely to ever get to California again. I’d love to visit Yosemite, and I know that I will never convince DH to do the LA to Yosemite (and return) drive. I’ve found a company that does a weekend bus tour to Yosemite from LA. Their schedule is something like this:

Day 1 Depart from LA/SB. Tour of Mariposa Grove and Yosemite Valley.

Check in at Cedar Lodge.

Day 2 Full day hike or at leisure in Yosemite Valley.

Day 3 Free morning in Yosemite Valley or optional hike to Vernal Falls.

Mid afternoon departure from Yosemite Valley.

This would be in the beginning of May, and although I’m sure there’s so much to see that it would warrant more time, we’ll already be away from home for longer than we should be. So this sounds like it might be a good way to see at least some of Yosemite. Does this sound like something that would work, or am I missing something and possibly wasting my money?

Sounds like a decent plan. I assume they leave at the crack of dawn on the first day, and that you don't get back the last day until well after dark. Would you do this before or after your cruise?

Sounds like a decent plan. I assume they leave at the crack of dawn on the first day, and that you don't get back the last day until well after dark. Would you do this before or after your cruise?

Unfortunately, it doesn't leave on the first day until 2:00 p.m., but the arrival back in LA is at 10:00 p.m.

We'd do it after the cruise, which returns on Thursday, and we'd take the tour starting Friday. We expect to be doing other things before the cruise (including visiting the San Diego Zoo!)

Yosemite is about a 4 & 1/2 hour drive from LA. So you will not see much on Friday. There are Trams that run all over the vally and up to the differn't viewing points. If you tried to do the hikes you would need more time. You didn't say where you would stay while there. There are 2 Hotels in the valley floor and one at the south entrance in the park. There are several near the park at each entrance outside the park. I don't know what the cost is but it is a great place to see. Late May could be quite warm in the valley.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks, Welldone. Do the trams run past the lodges, such as Cedar Lodge? I guess that, being in Merced, you can just hop on a bus and get to Yosemite, from what I've been reading.

If this will be your only trip to Yosemite, I'd find a way to stay IN the park and not outside. You'll waste a lot of time getting in and out and not get the full flavor/beauty of the setting. IF you just Google "Yosemite Lodges" you'll get a list of all lodges, pricing and location.

The old Ahwahnee Lodge has just priced itself out of most people's range, but it IS worth stopping for lunch and taking a walk through this wonderful old structure.

If your DH won't drive, would you consider driving? It's a pretty easy ride and nice to have a car inside of the park.

Whatever you do, enjoy! It's really quite spectacular.

murphysmum

The trams do not run outside the park, but does your tour bus just drop you off at the motel? They had a shuttle at one time but I'm not sure that they still do. You might call the cedar lodge and ask. To drive up from LA is not bad. Hwy 99 to Fresno then 41 to the park. Traffic in the park can be bad. You really can't drive thru most of the park. If you want to stay inside the park, you had better make reservations now. It will be pricey. Yea we make it upthere quite often. The water falls are really something to see.

Hope this helps & I hope you do get to see the park.

At that time of year at higher elevations you may still see snow...however it is also the most spectacular for the falls etc...I think its a great plan, the park is so beautiful and it shouldnt be as crowded at that time of year.

I'm guessing that's the first week of May as the Diamond Princess finishes up its Hawaii run and repos to Alaska then.

Cruisin' Chick, you are absolutely right. We disembark from the Diamond Princess May 1, and the tour begins May 2.

Many thanks from all of you for your input! As for me driving, I'd do it, but DH is the world's worst passenger. We'd probably kill each other on the drive up, and neither of us would ever get to see Yosemite.

I think you must have the facts wrong on this tour. There is no way you are getting a tour of the Valley on the same day you leave LA unless they plan to drive you around in the dark if you are not leaving LA until 2PM. 4.5 hours is very optimistic on a Friday afternoon (when rush hour starts about 2PM). I wouldn't plan to be there until 8PM at the earliest.

The shuttle buses only go around the valley, not outside the park or even other areas of the park. You will be dependent upon the bus tours/transportation offered by the tour company.

I would plan to ride their bus into the Valley on Saturday, and then take the shuttles around to see the different falls, the meadows, stop at the Ahwahnee, etc. instead of taking an all day hike. If you want to take the hike up to Vernal Falls on the last day, that is a nice hike and not too long.

While it is nice to stay in the Valley, it is not necessarily required. I think if this is the only way you get to see Yosemite, rather than not seeing it at all, to go for it. Have you looked at all possible tour companies?

I would say go for it. My husband is the same type as far as doing things when you're in the area or you might not ever get another chance. We went 2 years ago - first time after living in California for 27 years. We went in July, yes - it was hot, stayed outside the park and still had a great time. I'm all for doing things when you get the chance!

Judyzoo:

I realize that this suggestion will add to your cost. Even though your tour cost includes the second night's stay at Cedar, just book the second night in the valley. It will cost you about $140 more if you are able to get a Curry Village cabin WITH bath. It will be extra money well spent. And remember to take water proof Parkas with hood for the Vernal Falls hike -- the misty trail in May will make you wet. /Sultan

Except, if you're on a pre-planned land/bus tour, you might not have any flexibility of changing lodging, etc. (or your might). If you want to see Yosemite, the tour might be the best way to go. How many of us get into a port, spend a couple of hours, certainly don't see everything we would like to, and plan to go back another day. At least we've what that little "taste" of the area.

I say GO FOR IT! A little taste of Yosemite is better than no taste at all, and who knows, this could whet your appetite for a return trip. Even just to experience the splendor of the scenery, the uniqueness of the valley, just for a day, is worth it. GO FOR IT, any way you can!!!:)

Archived