Portside V. Starside

:confused: Hey guys,

What is the difference between portside rooms and starside rooms. My state room is located in the far front of the ship on the star side.Does this mean there are no views of ports except ocean view? I paid a lot for my veranda view and I want the money invested to be worthwhile. Thanks.

Guest BeckyThane

Bking, I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I think maybe the confusion is caused by terminology? I'll provide some shipping terminology, then maybe you can clarify your question.

As one faces toward the front of the ship ("fore" or "forward" direction, the front of a ship is its "bow"), the left side of the ship is called "port," and the right side is called "starboard." The rear of the ship is the "aft" direction and is called its "stern."

Does this help?

~ Becky

It used to be ships went in forward and port side (left) was always the side next to the pier.

Now they often back into the ports, so its a 50/50 chance which side of the pier you will be on.

In fact I saw a view someone took from their Disney balcony at the private beach who was on the opposite side as the pier which was awesome. Looking down the beach is fun too, not just seeing the pier.

port 4 letter word = port 4 letter word. starboard is the right side of the ship facing foreward. aft of course is the back of the ship.

You will have great view no matter which side of the ship you are on. Its fun pulling into a port and seeing the views out of both sides to me...I run back and forth from the top decks looking in the morning when we pull into a port.

edited....sorry I see someone else answered...didnt type fast enough, sorry for repeating.

The first time that I went to Castaway Cay, we berthed Starboard side to the wharf. The second time, after the Hurricane that damaged the wharf, she was tied-up port side to.

I dont think there is one way they always do it, we watch the ships dock in Galveston on the cam and one week its front end and the next they back in. Maybe its like backing in your car so you can pull out faster.

port 4 letter word = port 4 letter word.
Um ... maybe you meant port 4 letter word = left 4 letter word. ;)

Several factors come into play when a ship docks, and it's not always consistent at any given port. So, as mentioned, you'll have a 50/50 shot of the view you want. That being said, I've never had a bad view from a verandah! Sitting out there and taking in the bustling port or the endless sea doesn't matter. Just "being there" is its own reward!

Archived