Need help before I call tomorrow morning!

ohhbother

Hi everyone.

I've been reading these boards for several weeks -- learning lots that will make my upcoming sailing on the Liberty a great cruise.

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem. I booked Cabin 6452 on the Liberty specifically because I wanted the aft wraparound balcony. I actually chose the cruise based on the availability of this cabin. I asked our PVP to note on our reservation that we DID NOT want to be upgraded.

Well, guess what. We've been "upgraded" to Cabin 9602, a suite on the Lido deck. But it's one of two suites on the entire ship that has a standard 35-sq-ft balcony.

So I went from a huge balcony to a standard one just like that. I don't care about the amenities of the suite -- it has been my dream to book one of the aft balcony cabins, and DH and I can finally afford it.

I called Carnival, but the lady said I had to talk with Reservation Administration because that's who moved me. Of course, they're not open til tomorrow.

This sailing is completely sold out. Any tips on how I can get my cabin back when I call tomorrow?

Thanks!

All you can do is state the above. Good luck! They never should have upgraded you with with out the PVP calling and asking if you had stated no upgrade. Thet is why people pay more to pick their cabin instead of booking gty.

Again, good luck!

We had a guy on our roll call who had the same thing happen to him, except it wasn't an aft wrap-around, just a standard balcony room. They had selected their cabin and were upgraded to a suite. (In his case I would have taken the suite, but that was my opinion.) He called Carnival and raised the roof until they put it back like it was, and he got his original room back that he selected to begin with, so I do know it has happened before, and I do know it is possible to get your original room back. Good luck:)

Yes, it does happen from time to time. Those 9A cabins are coveted by so many people. Without knowing the details. I bet a Carnival employee or a family member wanted that cabin so they bumped you up. I have heard that happening a few times.

You shouldnt have any problems getting your original cabin back.

Yep, let them move the new folks who now have your room and upgrade them to the suite.

If you really wanted that exact cabin they should not have upgraded you.

I had a similar conversation with my PVP, we have one cruise I dont want to be upgraded from the cabin we picked.

Get in touch with you PVP and let her (him) fight the battle. After all you did tell her you did not want an upgrade. Let us know how this comes out. And, stick to your guns.

Alice in New Smyrna Beach

pls how this let us know how this turns out. this only happened to us once on DCL, b/c we were in an adjoining cabin and they later needed it for another family. they called and asked us, though. we said it was fine, of course. but, i guess my point is that dcl at least asked us first. i am surprised to learn that CCL will move you from a cabin assignment w/o first making even a courtesy phone call to you. that policy stinks.

In tha past, We selected a cabin and were upgraded. Only to us it was not an upgrade and so We called our TA and got our original cabin back with no problem. I am sure You will get your cabin back.

We had 8455 aft-wrap on the Liberty this past April! My TA knew about the fact that I wanted THAT cabin, and only THAT cabin! :D

They would have had to "pry my cold wet dying hands" from the railing to take it away! :eek: Thank heavens, they didn't try! :rolleyes:

I truthfully would have refused the upgrade, and let the 'PVP deal with it'! Or go for a monster OBC..:p

...I truthfully would have refused the upgrade, and let the 'PVP deal with it'!...

i may have read it too quickly, but i got the sense from the OP's post that they weren't notified until after the fact. if that is correct, the policy stinks.

Hi everyone.

I've been reading these boards for several weeks -- learning lots that will make my upcoming sailing on the Liberty a great cruise.

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem. I booked Cabin 6452 on the Liberty specifically because I wanted the aft wraparound balcony. I actually chose the cruise based on the availability of this cabin. I asked our PVP to note on our reservation that we DID NOT want to be upgraded.

Well, guess what. We've been "upgraded" to Cabin 9602, a suite on the Lido deck. But it's one of two suites on the entire ship that has a standard 35-sq-ft balcony.

So I went from a huge balcony to a standard one just like that. I don't care about the amenities of the suite -- it has been my dream to book one of the aft balcony cabins, and DH and I can finally afford it.

I called Carnival, but the lady said I had to talk with Reservation Administration because that's who moved me. Of course, they're not open til tomorrow.

This sailing is completely sold out. Any tips on how I can get my cabin back when I call tomorrow?

Thanks!

PLEASE...give us an update when you get it figured out. I have our first ever 9A booked for our Liberty cruise and would be furious if they moved us out without even asking :eek: .

Just curious...maybe I should check mine! How did you find out about the "upgrade" :confused:

Hi everyone! First, thanks for all the help and support. I lost sleep last night worrying about this.

Thankfully, I have good news to report. I called Reservations Administration this morning and was able to get my original stateroom back. It took about 20 minutes on the phone, and I didn't really get any explanation as to why the move happened -- only that I had been given a complimentary upgrade.

I stressed that I did not want the upgrade, had previously advised my PVP to note on my reservation that I didn't want an upgrade and that I was not notified of the upgrade in advance. I only found out by looking at my online documents -- my cabin number changed from one day to the next.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, I guess. I've been assured that my reservation now clearly states not to move me to a different stateroom. I just wish it hadn't happened to begin with.

As I said, I booked the cruise solely because of the cabin availability (this is a relatively last-minute trip, booked just six weeks out, and I was completely non-committal about cruise line, sailing date, etc.). I just wanted an aft wraparound cabin on a Western Caribbean cruise.

Hopefully, this will be my only bump in the road. This will be my eighth cruise but my first with Carnival. I was discouraged by the fact I was moved but encouraged by the fact that the situation was remedied to my satisfaction.

So, now, back to happier thoughts -- just a few more weeks until we sail. And I'll soon be enjoying a good book on my balcony!

Hi everyone! First, thanks for all the help and support. I lost sleep last night worrying about this.

Thankfully, I have good news to report. I called Reservations Administration this morning and was able to get my original stateroom back. It took about 20 minutes on the phone, and I didn't really get any explanation as to why the move happened -- only that I had been given a complimentary upgrade.

I stressed that I did not want the upgrade, had previously advised my PVP to note on my reservation that I didn't want an upgrade and that I was not notified of the upgrade in advance. I only found out by looking at my online documents -- my cabin number changed from one day to the next.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, I guess. I've been assured that my reservation now clearly states not to move me to a different stateroom. I just wish it hadn't happened to begin with.

As I said, I booked the cruise solely because of the cabin availability (this is a relatively last-minute trip, booked just six weeks out, and I was completely non-committal about cruise line, sailing date, etc.). I just wanted an aft wraparound cabin on a Western Caribbean cruise.

Hopefully, this will be my only bump in the road. This will be my eighth cruise but my first with Carnival. I was discouraged by the fact I was moved but encouraged by the fact that the situation was remedied to my satisfaction.

So, now, back to happier thoughts -- just a few more weeks until we sail. And I'll soon be enjoying a good book on my balcony!

Hooray :D!! Good for you - I am glad that it all worked out ;)

I bet a Carnival employee or a family member wanted that cabin so they bumped you up. .

I am pretty sure it happened because the OP booked a 3 person cabin (5452) and there will only be 2 in the cabin.

When the ship sails full, it will move people around to cabins that hold the correct amount of people. The OP's PVP should have informed them that it could happen.

Ohhbrother -- I'm glad that this situation worked out well for you!!!

Question (for anyone) .... what are the stipulations regarding the booking of a specific room? On the four cruises that I've been on three were booked thru a TA and the other thru a cruise website. We of course did not specify a particular cabin, only a specific deck and then balcony or interior.

I guess the things that I'm getting at here are .... so what happens when everyone tries to book the aft wrap balconies? Is it a first booked, first paid basis? Do you have to specify no up grades when you do this? If you are up graded with or with out notification, are you charged for the up grade or is it free? And, how does a cruise line choose who is up graded and who isn't? And, does this process vary from cruise line to cruise line?

I'd certainly love to be up graded from a balcony cabin to a balcony suite ... LOL! Especially if it is for FREE. If I could afford it, I would have booked the suite to begin with. But regardless ... if any one can explain this (for lack of better words) "picking your cabin" deal that would be great! Thanks ~~~ :)

Yes, it does happen from time to time. Those 9A cabins are coveted by so many people. Without knowing the details. I bet a Carnival employee or a family member wanted that cabin so they bumped you up. I have heard that happening a few times.

I think your "imagination" was running wild!!! I know (for a fact) that cruiseline employees and their families pay so little to cruise - that there is no way they would put them in a cabin like that at the expense of losing a paying customer.

The best they ususally get is a cabin with a window at their employee rate.

I knew the OP would get her coveted aft back - Way togo!!!

I am pretty sure it happened because the OP booked a 3 person cabin (5452) and there will only be 2 in the cabin.

When the ship sails full, it will move people around to cabins that hold the correct amount of people. The OP's PVP should have informed them that it could happen.

So what would be the point in moving them, if the pax can just call the next day and change it back?

Glad the OP got her cabin back. Have an awesome cruise.

I guess the things that I'm getting at here are .... so what happens when everyone tries to book the aft wrap balconies? Is it a first booked, first paid basis? Do you have to specify no up grades when you do this?

Its just first to book and it doesn't matter if you go thru a TA or PVP.

You have to request the certain cabin, you can request no upgrades but if you pick a cabin that sleeps more than you have booked, you may have to give the cabin up.

This does not happen all the time, just certain times of the year.

Sometimes, you can get a really good cabin at final payment, many people reserve cabins and then cancel at final payment.

I think your "imagination" was running wild!!! I know (for a fact) that cruiseline employees and their families pay so little to cruise - that there is no way they would put them in a cabin like that at the expense of losing a paying customer.

The best they ususally get is a cabin with a window at their employee rate.

I knew the OP would get her coveted aft back - Way togo!!!

It wasnt employees on the ship, but one that worked in the Corporate office.

Could be made up, but there have been a few threads that actually mentioned that.

Here is one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2254286&postcount=10

LOOLLLLLL!!!! ur sooooooo wrong !

Archived