How Do You Rate Pizza on Princess Cruise Lines  

213 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Rate Pizza on Princess Cruise Lines

• Tops - better than anything I've had at home
    • About the same as I get at home from a non-chain pizza place
    • About the same as a chain pizza place like Pizza Hut
    • It's not the best, I've had better, but, it will due in pinch
    • Yuck - I won't touch it

I admit, this is kind of silly to be asking but, I love pizza and, was thrilled to find out Princess has pizza on their ships. Yes, this is my first cruise ever - so sorry if that is oblivious venue to some of you.

I'd love you guys to rate it and tell me what's like!

Thanks!

We're from New England, where pizza rules. All we have in Virginia is chain stuff (bleh). DH and I thought the pizza on the Crown was almost like the good stuff we grew up on.

Your ship may vary...

I admit, this is kind of silly to be asking but, I love pizza and, was thrilled to find out Princess has pizza on their ships. Yes, this is my first cruise ever - so sorry if that is oblivious venue to some of you.

Thanks!

Ugly Betty Fan,

I see you're from NYC, so, don't expect anything like pizza from Ray's (meaning real original Ray's) or anything close to it. What you can expect is pizza better than Pizza Hut but, it's not like non-chain pizza in NYC.

So I think I've isolated the "problem" with the pizza, at least this was my experience on the Crown...

THE CHEESE!

It's some sort of sub-par cheese that brings down the whole quality of the pie which is a huge shame because they're doing so much more right than other cruiselines.

Plus: Thin crust

Plus: Made in a pizza oven

Plus: Toppings are generous enough

Plus: They always have cheese or pepperoni

Negative: The cheese - oh the cheese

I get this... aftertaste when I'm eating the pizza. I've isolated it down to the mozzarella. It's almost a petroleum like aftertaste I'd say? The sauce and the crust aren't the issue at all. It's almost like that non-fat cheese they sell and the aftertaste that you get with that?

Despite not liking it that much and cringing at the aftertaste, I was on a cruise, so that didn't stop me from actually eating it! Ha!

Let us know what you think when you come back though. If they fix that one part of the pizza no one can touch them on other lines.

(even with the aftertaste it's still better than Royal Caribbean's horrific pizza)

The pizza on the Dawn in April was some of the blandest I've ever had. There was little choice of toppings and they were applied sparingly. We ate there once, on the second day of the cruise and did not return.

I absolutely loved the pizza we had on CB 2 years ago. I liked the crust and thought the sauce had a nice, fresh taste to it. I didn't notice any weird after-tastes. They always have cheese and pepperoni, in addition to a different specialty pizza each day - I recall the one with the mushroom toppings being really great!

I guess the quality depends on who's making the pizza. While the pizza on CB and Crown should be the same, I'd say CB's was fantastic while Crown's was only very good... still, way better than what most chain establishments put out.

The pizza on the Dawn in April was some of the blandest I've ever had. There was little choice of toppings and they were applied sparingly. We ate there once, on the second day of the cruise and did not return.

Ahhhhhh Sharpie, you missed the trick on that one. On the Sun Class ships, you can order your pizza anyway you like it. Extra toppings, tripple cheese, whatever you want. You don't have to go by the basic menu.

Thanks!

The Tahitian Princess was terrific and yes we could order it any way we wanted. I at more pizza (even for dinner) than I have any other cruise. Usually it is a late night treat and on many ships I have not eaten it at all.

The only problem was the ice tea and coffee left such a bad taste in my mouth it affected the other foods. The cruise ended and two days later good tasted returned.

I should add that the one making the pizza is from Italy and this is his last contract. He is starting his own deli and pizza place in Florida.

Was on the CB last week and I think it also depends on what time of the day you get the pizza. Had it twice on the pool deck and the first time was fine, a couple of days later - busier time of day - and it was doughie...The pizza in Sabatini's was AWESOME!!! It was so good we ask the waiter to fix us a tropical one and it was the best pizza I have had in a long time...

Love the pizzeria on the Dawn and the Regal (darn she's leaving us!!). Nothing better than going for lunch about 1:30 sitting there with a glass of red wine eating some pizza and watching the world go by! No it's not the best pizza I've ever tasted but who cares - I'm on a cruise!!

For us, perhaps the best pizza (on ship) was the Regal Princess, followed by Pacific Princess (new).

I didn't think too much of the pizza on Golden Princess, but recognize that I may have hit a bad day.

Although I did have pizza on Sun Princess, I don't recall if I liked it or not.

Oceania, which operates three R-class vessels, also has good pizza.

One of my favorite topics, pizza! I remember I loved the pizza on the Pacific Princess although when we grabbed a slice at lunchtime it was not as good as when made to order in the evening. Then we took an RC cruise and I was very disappointed in the pizza. Our last cruise was on the Sun Princess where it's strictly made to order. It seems to be a little larger than the small ones on the Pacific, but I think it was essentially the same crust and it was still very good. One thing I did notice is that "mozzarella" is listed as one of their toppings which I just thought meant extra cheese, but no, the cheese they put on is not mozzarella unless you ask for it. You can experiment for yourself to see which you like better if they do it the same way on the CB, but I definitely noticed a difference in the quality. I guess it all depends on what you like, but I usually prefer very thick pizza crust and as others have mentioned, Princess is thin, and I still enjoyed the hell out of it:) Have fun and I'd love to hear what you think of it when you return.

Brenda

My vote is based on my three daughters and their several Princess Cruises, "WOW! It is good! Why can't we get that type of pizza in Chicago."

Okay, so my vote is based on their tastes, but I am such an easily swayed dad by three lovely daughters.

BTW - I am a fan of stuffed pizza, so I don't often go after flat pizza.

Hey Betty!

I'm going to incur the wrath of the pizza lovers on this thread for saying this, but here goes. You're going to have outstanding gourmet food provided in the dining room every night as part of the cost of the cruise (i.e., nothing extra), and your wait staff will give you extra servings if you ask for it. You'll have access to the buffet (without paying extra) during most of the day. You can have a full breakfast and full lunch in the dining room (without paying extra) each day. You'll be able to eat wonderful food that would cost you a fortune in the restaurants at home, and it will probably be better prepared and of better quality that you'd find at home. So don't worry about pizza -- you can get that at home anytime. And the pizza restaurants on most ships will charge you extra for the pizza, so it's no bargain.

Hey Betty!

I'm going to incur the wrath of the pizza lovers on this thread for saying this, but here goes. You're going to have outstanding gourmet food provided in the dining room every night as part of the cost of the cruise (i.e., nothing extra), and your wait staff will give you extra servings if you ask for it. You'll have access to the buffet (without paying extra) during most of the day. You can have a full breakfast and full lunch in the dining room (without paying extra) each day. You'll be able to eat wonderful food that would cost you a fortune in the restaurants at home, and it will probably be better prepared and of better quality that you'd find at home. So don't worry about pizza -- you can get that at home anytime. And the pizza restaurants on most ships will charge you extra for the pizza, so it's no bargain.

Never been charged extra for pizza on a ship.

No body was agrguing about pizza over other food,

Just answering Mary's question.

On a scale of 1-5 answering the question you get duh, duh, duh, duh. That is four duhs:D

That is a hard poll to vote on as it depends on the ship. The Sun Class offers wonderful pizza, while we aren't that fond of the pizza by the pool that is offered on the larger ships.

I agree! I think the Sun Class pizza is some of my all time favorites but I won't go near the pizza on the larger ships.

Archived