Leather Handbags in Florence

There were leather handbags everywhere! No joke, you can find all kind of bags from street vendors as well as in stores.

One time I bought a couple of cheap bags from a vendor near Pisa and last time a bought a better quality, more expensive bag from a store very close to the cathedral in Florence.

I second the advice of betonic and no longer recommend specific stores in Florence to friends and family because there is no point in taking time to search for a particular store when you can buy great leather at every turn in my opinion. Regarding the question of quality, I have a bag made in Florence that I have used off an on for over five years, and it still looks new! Even with the poor exchange rate, leather is a good buy for the quality in Italy. And it's so nice to have a daily memento of your trip, so happy shopping.

Donna

I would like to add a warning...do NOT buy any knockoffs from a street vendo in Italy as if you are caught buying it you can be fined BIG time...almost tthe cost of a real bag if you bought it is the store. The police have been cracking down in the past few years and they mean business period.There are so many good leather shops in Florence as well as the markets and the department store have good bags as well that are made well and hold up quite well.There are also the high end shops..Prada/Gucci/etc.If you are looking in the market's do not buy one that has an odor(you will know) and check out the stitching.You will find wallets and belts as well as some really nice gloves...have fun shopping!!!

My bags have held up very well. I've been pleased with my purchases so far.

The other thing that I love that I bought in Florence were linen or wool shawls. They have tons of different styles, sizes and colors. I always keep one in my car for a cold movie theater or restaurant.

The prices vary widely. I've seen bags as cheap as $15. But you get what you pay for to some extent. Not all the bags in the markets are made in Italy and not all are of good leather. I second cberge's comment about the smell -- if it doesn't have that good leather smell, don't buy it.

I have to be honest, I expected to get a really good deal on a leather bag in Florence, but they were surprisingly expensive! Ironically, I finally found one that I liked, and that didn't cost over a hundred bucks, at a small shop in Fiesole--which is worth visiting more for the ruins, and not for the shopping per se!

We visited Florence twice last year during our 2 Transatlantic sailings and purchased one handbag during each trip. On the first one, DH bought me a gorgeous bag that stops traffic here in the US - Literally. As soon as I go out, I will have at least 3 people per night asking me where did I purchase the bag from. That bag is from "Scuola del Cuoio" which translates to Leather School. It is located directly behind or within the property of the Piazza Santa Croce Church. This is where 99% of the tours whether Ship or Privately organized usually drop you off. I believe their website is http://www.leatherschool.com

On our second trip, while we were waiting for our tour to reunite in the same location, I wandered into one of the stores right in the plaza (right next to a jewelry store) and found another beautiful handbag.

You can't go wrong with any of the stores. I wouldn't purchase from one of the street vendors. However, that is just my opinion.

Happy Shopping....

I have bought belts, handbags, and especially the beautiful leather gloves in several colours from street vendors all over Florence. Poor quality is easily avoidable by simply inspecting thoroughly.

My favourite piece is a leather business case with hand tooled leather in the front for 100 euros. It matches a purse and wallet that I had bought the previous year. The kicker is a scarf with the identical pattern I found to match it that I tie around the handle. :D

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know that quality can be good and prices also. We are going a few weeks before my 44th birthday and I feel I need to treat myself!! I think I'm getting more excited over shopping in the market than the cruise!

I was in Florence twice in the last 2 months...lucky me!! There are Leather stores..EVERYWHERE! Prices are all over the place but I bought several bags and love them all. The markets are a fun place to buy bags..they are not like the kind of markets we have here...much better there! I wouldn't buy anything from the 'street vendors' who sell their wares from bed sheets that they roll up quickly when the Polizia come by...plus, like someone else said...YOU can be fined for buying these.

The Leather School is fun to visit. We were lucky and didn't encounter any groups while we were there as we were on our own. There are some VERY expensive purses there, but very beautiful and the craftsmanship is exquisite. The school is on the left side of Santa Croce as you are looking at it. The courtyard going in is beautiful and there is a nice little 'souvie' store there as well. and...while you are there...take a look inside Santa Croce..gorgeous.

If you have time...cross over the Ponte Vecchio and look around the 'Oltrarno' side of Florence...beautiful stores there too..

Have fun...Florence is the best!!

I was in Florence in December and there are many vendors. I bought leather in the stores and street vendors. I have 2 handbags I bought for 10 euros on the street and get loads of compliments and the belts that are bought from the street vendors for 10 to 30 euros were nice too. They even cut to fit for men or women.

Archived