Is this a good deal?

Benji817

Hello all,

I'm hoping for your opinions on airfare. I don't fly that often, and I don't really know the best way to handle airfare for our cruise at the end of October. My future hubby is a last-minute kind of guy. While he enjoys flying by the seat of his pants, I do not. I'm an obsessive planner.. OK, that being said.... I was searching around today and found a $234 RT fare from STL to Miami on AA (non stop). Is this a good deal?? I've never been to Miami before, and I have no clue about prices. It seems reasonable to me, but I don't really know if prices fluctuate a lot? I guess I'm just wondering if I should book now, or if I still have time to wait for any future "sales". Is this as low as I'll probably get? :confused:

Your help/info/tips/opinions would be very much appreciated! :)

without know your exact travel date, i did a mid-october search leaving on a friday and returning on a sunday. the lowest fare i found on www.kayak,com was 239 so your fair sounds good. you might try searching there. they have a powerful search that lets you see prices for travel dates around when you want to go.

Hello all,

I'm hoping for your opinions on airfare. I don't fly that often, and I don't really know the best way to handle airfare for our cruise at the end of October. My future hubby is a last-minute kind of guy. While he enjoys flying by the seat of his pants, I do not. I'm an obsessive planner.. OK, that being said.... I was searching around today and found a $234 RT fare from STL to Miami on AA (non stop). Is this a good deal?? I've never been to Miami before, and I have no clue about prices. It seems reasonable to me, but I don't really know if prices fluctuate a lot? I guess I'm just wondering if I should book now, or if I still have time to wait for any future "sales". Is this as low as I'll probably get? :confused:

Your help/info/tips/opinions would be very much appreciated! :)

You can get an additional 5% off if you have the entertainment book.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it! I've never heard of kayak.com before, I will have to give it a whirl.

YES, airfare in STL is always expensive. I'm not really sure WHY though, maybe just because it's the Midwest??

I actually have the entertainment book, but I haven't seen anything for airfare before? Hmmm.. Will have to check that out as well. :)

Anyway, thanks again. I think I might go ahead and book. In my case, the less details I have to obsess about, the better. I'd much rather be swimsuit shopping! ;)

You can get an additional 5% off if you have the entertainment book.

Be aware that many airline discount coupons in general circulation (including 2 for 1 and companion fare certificates) require booking in a specific booking class or higher. When trying to use one of these on DL a few years back, I found that the fare class needed for the companion cert was over twice the lowest rate that I could find. So using the coupon actually would have cost more!

I don't know the details on the Entertainment book coupon, but be sure to read all of the rules and compare the end price to that for not using any coupon.

This does not usually apply to the discount coupons that airlines often include in an "amenity pack" when you have a flight delay or cancellation. Those tend to require some minimum dollar price to get varying levels of dollars-off discount.

Be aware that many airline discount coupons in general circulation (including 2 for 1 and companion fare certificates) require booking in a specific booking class or higher. When trying to use one of these on DL a few years back, I found that the fare class needed for the companion cert was over twice the lowest rate that I could find. So using the coupon actually would have cost more!

I don't know the details on the Entertainment book coupon, but be sure to read all of the rules and compare the end price to that for not using any coupon.

This does not usually apply to the discount coupons that airlines often include in an "amenity pack" when you have a flight delay or cancellation. Those tend to require some minimum dollar price to get varying levels of dollars-off discount.

I know, it seems there's always a "catch" to everything. :rolleyes: I just went to the Entertainment website though and found the 5% off thing. I think the only stipulation is that the fare must be a minimum of $150. So I'll try to use it, we'll see. Worth a shot if it saves me a few more bucks! :D

I flew AA in October last year for $357 for 2 people round trip to FLL. This year they don't fly non stop to FLL so we booked one way from STL to MIA for $97 a piece, and I was able to use the entertainment coupon. We are flying home with SW from FLL and I just got the fares lowered during a ding sale, they were $74 each.

Have you checked a different departure time for cheaper fares from STL to MIA? We are taking the early morning non stop flight but the one that leaves in the afternoon was still at a lower price the last time I looked. When we booked they were both the same price but since booking the morning early morning flight has gone up in price.

With the rising cost of fuel I honestly think your price is good. You will be able to use the Entertainment coupon and get it a bit cheaper. Being from your area I know we can't drive there and back for that price!

Archived