Whale-watching - Juneau vs. Icy Point Strait?

arb711

RCI Radiance north, 8/24/07 (7 weeks and 1 day, but who's counting) - I had planned to take whale-watching excursion in Juneau, as so many people recommend it - but I have read some posts about whale-watching from Icy Point Strait, that it is a prime location for whales. The advantage would be that there are fewer alternatives in IPS, and many in Juneau, in fact I'm having a hard time choosing in Juneau!

Opinions?

And re: Icy Point Strati - anyone done the Culinary Extravaganza? Sounds awfully tempting....

On our trip last August we took a whale watching excursion in Juneau which was fabulous...we were on a fairly large boat with about 50 other people...although it didn't seem that crowded...and we saw lots of whales. The next day we went on a halibut fishing trip in ISP on a much smaller boat with a total of 8 people (including captain and helper). While we were fishing, we had an up close encounter with a couple of humpbacks and we saw a few more along the way...so really we had two whale watching excursions on our trip.

We have been whalewatching twice in Juneau and once in ISP. On our last trip, we went in the rain in Juneau and saw whales. The next day we had bright sun in ISP and saw a bunch of whales for the whole three hours. We are going again in two weeks and will go again in both Juneau and ISP.

But your reasoning is good and if you have to chose only one, it could work as you said. But the more time you spend doing it, the greater will be your rewards if you are really into it. Good luck.

arb711, I had the same dilemma as you when planning our trip, and decided to book whale watching in Icy Strait since there did not seem to be as many options there as in Juneau. This left me time in Juneau to see Mendenhall, flightsee, shop, etc. Icy Strait was the best!!! We booked a private whale watching excursion with Tok River Outfitters on the Icy Lady and we saw loads of whales in Icy Strait. They came right up to the boat - it was an amazing experience and I highly recommend Chris Erickson for a great wildlife tour! Any way you go, if you book your whale watching in Icy Strait I don't think you'll be disappointed. It was wonderful - the whales were right in the harbor when we sailed out of the port we watched them from our balcony. Have a wonderful time!!!

We were on a ship sponsored whale watch in Icy Straight- larger boat- and saw lots of whales and other sealife. I also vote for Icy Straight. The Icy Straight must have lots of whales because on our SB return cruise (I am talking about actually on the cruise ship- not an excursion when we were sailing in the Icy Straight we saw whales as well ( though not as close up as on the whale watch. Icy Straight gets my vote. And as another said there are other things to see in Juneau. Mendenhall is also a must see.

ISP is the place to whale watch......We used F.I.S.H.E.S. and they were great. Family service and only a max of 6 people. The whales were so close the spray blew on us as we sat and the whales were all around us.The cruiseline boats are too big and not as close to whales.Best excursion we have been on in a long time......

Archived