What did you feed your baby?H

sas80

Hello all!

We will be leaving for a cruise soon with our then 10 month old. I plan on dragging along a bag of rice cereal and a bunch of "jarred" baby food in the plastic containers.

My question is - what did you all feed your under-one-year-olds from the buffet?

I know fruit is okay, melon, is pineapple? Can I feed him scrambled eggs? sausage? potatos? oatmeal? cream of wheat? Toast is okay, right?

RCCL doesn't offer any type of puree services to make baby food, so he will have to eat limited soft table food.

I am just wondering how everyone handled the food aspect....

He has 2 teeth, on the bottom.

Thanks for any input!

With the exception of pureed food, feed him what you feed him at home. If you don't feed him eggs and toast at home, i wouldn't feed it to him on a cruise. Might cause a bit of a tummy ache. Bring lots of cereal and Baby foods. Depending on the ports, you can replenish your supply if needed but it will cost more. You could always pack a bullet type blender. They are really small and would make 1 or 2 servings at a time.

When Gabriella (the youngest) was 8 months old on Disney Magic she ate like a QUEEN....lol. I mashed up all kinds of foods. We even ordered pasta and mac n cheese off the kids menu and I was able to smash up that. The servers brought me all kinds of fruit and cooked veggies, those all got mashed with a fork.

I swear the kids eat better on a cruise ship then they do at home. There is such a variety of foods that they may not try at home, but will try when offered it in a new environment.

I didn't need ANY of the baby food that I brought from home while on the ship. I just needed it while on excursions.

We did yogurt, oatmeal, cheerios, some of the rice dishes that were somewhat mushy, soft fruit like banana, toast, mashed potatoes, soft veggies, french fries. We tried lots of things, anything I thought she might eat. She was 12 months at the time.

I also brought those gerber meals, and baby food/snacks form home just in case. We ended up taking alot back home with us as she was more interested in eating what we were eating at that age.

Julie

Babies under a year don't NEED to eat table food as long as they are still being breastfed or formula fed. I wouldn't waste luggage space with "baby food", I would just supplement the breastmilk/formula with cheerios/fruit/small pieces of veggies from your plates.

I agree with the above poster though, that I wouldn't try new things on a cruise. A tummmy ache or worse an allergy could put a big damper on your vacation.

Just to add on the previous posters - I would feed him the same things are you are feeding him at home. If you are trying something new on the ship, try to avoid the top 8 allergens (unless he's already had them): milk, egg, peanut, tree nut (walnut, cashew, etc), fish, shellfish, soy, wheat. My son had a really bad reaction to egg around that age - so I wouldn't want you to have that happen on your trip!

Also agree on the mashing! For the cruise (or at home) we loved these two products - letting us give our son "grown-up" food in a safe/easy way:

Baby food mill: http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Baby-Steps-Food-Carrying/dp/B00006G9LI

Mesh feeder: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Pack/dp/B000GK5XY2/ref=sr_1_1/104-2188397-1162364?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1183744370&sr=1-1

Just to add on the previous posters - I would feed him the same things are you are feeding him at home. If you are trying something new on the ship, try to avoid the top 8 allergens (unless he's already had them): milk, egg, peanut, tree nut (walnut, cashew, etc), fish, shellfish, soy, wheat. My son had a really bad reaction to egg around that age - so I wouldn't want you to have that happen on your trip!

Also agree on the mashing! For the cruise (or at home) we loved these two products - letting us give our son "grown-up" food in a safe/easy way:

Baby food mill: http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Baby-Steps-Food-Carrying/dp/B00006G9LI

Mesh feeder: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Pack/dp/B000GK5XY2/ref=sr_1_1/104-2188397-1162364?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1183744370&sr=1-1

Yes, I was considering bringing a small blender with me. Think a coffe grinder would work?

I am thinking of offering him some scrambled eggs here, before we go - would you do egg beaters or real eggs to try that?

We already do wheat germ and hard boiled egg yolks and he just had black beans at the restaurant last night (loved them, no issues) so I have a sneaking suspicion that his tummy is more like mine (hearty) than daddy's....

Think we could get a piece of non seasoned chicken from the staff? That would be great!

No, hold off on the eggs! They are a major allergen for babies and shouldn't be introduced until at least a year.

My baby is 10 months now and is just starting to eat solids (mostly breastfed). We usually cut fruit into tiny pieces and give her small pieces of toast/bread. You can ask the dining room for unseasoned steamed veggies. 10 month old babies can certainly eat small pieces of food without it being pureed, though you could mash it slightly if your baby prefers that.

Archived