Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi all. It's been some time since I've posted on these boards. I'm excited to say that a trip on the Disney Wonder this summer is in the works! Disney has already called me to touch base with paperwork requirements for entry into Canada and on board accomodations for Ollie, my husband's Seeing Eye Dog. We took a trip on the Wonder to the Carribbean a few years ago so we have an idea of what services Disney will provide on the ship.

My question, however, has to deal with another non-cruise trip we may take this spring. We may go to a cousin's wedding in Mexico. I have checked with the Mexican embassy regarding paperwork and made arrangement for our children. We received a call from the travel agent today that the resort where the wedding is going to be held will not allow any service dog on property. I'm just curious if any of you have had access issues in Mexico. We have no intention of going anywhere other than the airport to the resort and back.

I'm looking forward to frequenting the boards more often over the next few months.

Hi all. It's been some time since I've posted on these boards. I'm excited to say that a trip on the Disney Wonder this summer is in the works! Disney has already called me to touch base with paperwork requirements for entry into Canada and on board accomodations for Ollie, my husband's Seeing Eye Dog. We took a trip on the Wonder to the Carribbean a few years ago so we have an idea of what services Disney will provide on the ship.

My question, however, has to deal with another non-cruise trip we may take this spring. We may go to a cousin's wedding in Mexico. I have checked with the Mexican embassy regarding paperwork and made arrangement for our children. We received a call from the travel agent today that the resort where the wedding is going to be held will not allow any service dog on property. I'm just curious if any of you have had access issues in Mexico. We have no intention of going anywhere other than the airport to the resort and back.

I'm looking forward to frequenting the boards more often over the next few months.

Welcome back. And, congratulations on your upcoming cruise and your cousin's wedding.

I would call the hotel, directly, myself. Don't go through the TA to do this. As you know, Mexico does NOT have to abide by the ADA or the DOJ. And, they don't have leash/Heartguard or Advantix requirements for their pet dogs [that you may encounter on the streets or beaches!]

All that being said, if you are determined to bring your Guide Dog.....again, I would call the hotel directly, and propose your question about your Guide Dog being allowed in. I would speak about the training and respectfullness of the dog. That won't help you with immigration at the Airports or the taxi drivers [who hate to put dogs in their cars] worse than the New York cab drivers.

We were in Acapulco and I had the worse time with the hotel/the cab and even the bellman. I would NOT take my Service Dog into Mexico again.

Let us know what you decide. The only reason we had no problems in Paris was because they have no strict regulations on animals in their restaurants, any way! So bringing in my Service Dog "everywhere" was no problem. Now, ask me about Canada.......very difficult.

If you are insistent enough and show all your dogs paperwork it all can be done....it's just very frustrating and sometimes not worth the hassle!!!!!!

I did hear, maybe on these boards, that Mexico might be an issue with other dogs around. The embassy told me that access should not be a problem. I did know that they do not have the same ADA rules.

I've already told my husband that he should go and I'd stay with the kids and the dog. (It's his cousin getting married). I wasn't overly excited about going to Mexico anyway, although I'll admit, I was getting a little excited when my parents said they could come and stay with my children. We'll see. I agree that I don't feel it's worth the hassle for a not even 3 full day trip. I think the travel agent did call the hotel directly but I will find out where she got her information.

Where in Canada did you have trouble? We are leaving in and out of Vancouver and I believe Victoria is a stop.

This is an Alaskan cruise and I am super excited for it. We had the opportunity to visit Anchorage in 05. DH went for a conference and I had a vacation of a lifetime! We flew through Minneapolis for that trip so the Canadian stuff wasn't an issue at all.

Thanks as always for the input.

Edited by cjborne2

Hi all!

It's been years since I've posted on this thread but I've been lurking and enjoying reading about your adventures with your wonderful canine assistants!

I've got a favor to ask--I've recently started working for an attorney who practices animal law (how cool is that?) and she's been asked to give a presentation to a local service dog club. She's asked me to prepare the presentation and, obviously, the "law" part of it is pretty cut and dried--she'll review the definitions of service animals and go over the access rights afforded by the ADA and our state including the changes to the ADA (which don't really affect us much as Washington State has always provided more protection than federal law requires).

So my question/favor is to ask if you'll share some of your experiences with access issues (good or bad). We want to gear our presentation to the newer service animal handler who may not be as sophisticated as you all are. So what's the most important thing you wish you had known about your rights when you were a newbie?

Thanks for your help!

Kathi

Hi all

Denver and I set sail Sunday on our Mexican Riv cruise aboard the Disney Wonder CANT WAIT !!!!

Wanted to share some great info for those who may not already know it

HEALTH CERTIFICATES HAVE CHANGED !!!!! IMPORTANT !!!

There is now VERY STRICT laws pertaning to them and when you call the ports they have NO CLUE what they are talking about here is the deal

It is good for 30 days from the date of issue - Your vet will not be able to sign off that your dog is vaccinated against rabies UNLESS he gave the dog the shot himself so bring along a PROOF OF RABIES cert to your vets and the port - They must have a negative fecal OR have been treated for parasites in the last 2 months

RABIES IS VERY STRICT NOW - It must me issued within 1 year - 3 year vaccines are no longer acceptable so Denver just got his in june but when I go to sail this Oct I will need to re vaccinate against rabies before hand - I know REALLY BAD HUH ? but did you know the vaccine strength is the SAME 1 year or 3 its just written different on the vial to make people happy in certian states for certian laws - LAME TOTALLY LAME

anyways thats all I got ! Just thought I would pass it along - My vet was VERY GOOD and knew ALL the ins and outs bec he already got busted for sending a dog internationally with the old health cert - he simply had no idea

Roz- he is in agoura hills his name is Dr Neil Bodie you should look into him he does everything FREE for service and Guide Dogs worth the drive !

Hope this helps take care everyone !!!

one more quick thing I forgot the new certs are abot 6 pages long and the greatest part is NO MORE MAKING COPYS for the cruise lines !!!! You simply hand it to guest services they tear off their portion and off you go ( one for customs I believe one for ships one for air travel its cool )

Update: We received an email from the travel agent with a dialogue directly from the Mexican resort. It states the dog will be welcome as long as it stays with us (duh!). You better believe I'm printing this note out and taking it with us if we do in fact go.

Where do I go to get the papers for Mexico? Disney mentioned a USDA site for papers for Canada. Do I go there? Ollie is due for some vaccines anyway. I'll just have to check the timing for our travel to make sure it is within guide lines. His rabies expires in 2012 so I guess he'll need that sooner.

I did hear, maybe on these boards, that Mexico might be an issue with other dogs around. The embassy told me that access should not be a problem. I did know that they do not have the same ADA rules.

I've already told my husband that he should go and I'd stay with the kids and the dog. (It's his cousin getting married). I wasn't overly excited about going to Mexico anyway, although I'll admit, I was getting a little excited when my parents said they could come and stay with my children. We'll see. I agree that I don't feel it's worth the hassle for a not even 3 full day trip. I think the travel agent did call the hotel directly but I will find out where she got her information.

Where in Canada did you have trouble? We are leaving in and out of Vancouver and I believe Victoria is a stop.

This is an Alaskan cruise and I am super excited for it. We had the opportunity to visit Anchorage in 05. DH went for a conference and I had a vacation of a lifetime! We flew through Minneapolis for that trip so the Canadian stuff wasn't an issue at all.

Thanks as always for the input.

I agree about it not being worth the 3 days for all the craziness that you may have to endure. Give hubby a big send off kiss and tell to have a good time. You're nerves will thank you!!!!

We were in Ontario when we were about to go into a restaurant and we're told by another patron "I will not eat here if you bring your dog in!" And, then the owner asked us to leave because as he so firmly stated, "USA laws do not apply here!"

We also had to show Brenda's underbelly [just kidding but I did have to answer many questions], when we entered a restaurant in Vancouver but because other cruise passengers were with us and we looked like a large group of "spenders", the management allowed us in.

I've said this before, it's not always easy but I will stand and walk tall with my Service Dog, EVERYWHERE!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Now I am really back. I hate to say we had alot of problems on this cruise. They were all on the ship. First thing was the ramp to the balcony...there was none. After calling the office, they informed us that the hp room do NOT have ramps. :confused: Well we have had one on every cruise we have gone on, and you could see the brackets were still there. Besides its a hp balcony room duhhhhhhh!! Finally after 3 days, and a trip to the hotel manager, they made one and compensated us 300.00 on our bill.

The potty box... First of all it wasn't there when we arrived and we were informed that they were busy with the luggage and would not have it ready for a few hours. I guess we were supposed to have Wex cross his legs until then. When they put it out, it was like 2x2 box with sawdust in it. This was not acceptable since the dog was bigger than the box!!! Wex was NOT happy, he hated the sawdust, maybe because it was blowing with his pee all over the promenade deck and himself. We had 2 seadays to start so when we got to St. Maarten they would get some grass and make a bigger box. Didn't happen! No grass on St. Maarten! So we waited another day, by this time the sawdust had gotten wet from weather and Wex was refusing to go in it. I don't think he drank and water for 3 days, cuz he didn't want to go in the box. Finally we had to force him in it. Finally by day 4 we had the new huge box and grass! Wex was so happy and not stressed out anymore. I think he drank 2 bowls of water that day.

Islands... St. Maarten we got off no problem, no questions asked.

St Lucia, We were able to get off, even though they require the titer test. the vet came to the boat and granted us a permit anyway. With our 20.00 of course.

Barbados...NoT only could Wex not get off, but they informed us John couldn't get off either. You had to take a shuttle from the boat to the terminal and they had no hp shuttles.

Martinique...We don't care for the island so we did not even try to get off.

St Thomas...no problems and same with Nassau, which we had a permit to get off there anyway.

We had a great time even with our problems. It was just very frustrating the first few days. I believe there is no bad cruises and it's what you make of them that counts. I did notice that HAL has made alot of small changes and not for the better. Even though it was just small things, they added up. It's to bad. But it was still a great time!!

Here's Wexlers formal night pic along with one of him and my son which came out great!!!

24483007_WexlerFormalNight.jpg.d45d9b7361e48a805b7be4d7cf6b2932.jpg

1504437363_LeeWexFormal.jpg.e39659dfbdf75cfc5c85b07bf26afdf3.jpg

Hi all!

It's been years since I've posted on this thread but I've been lurking and enjoying reading about your adventures with your wonderful canine assistants!

I've got a favor to ask--I've recently started working for an attorney who practices animal law (how cool is that?) and she's been asked to give a presentation to a local service dog club. She's asked me to prepare the presentation and, obviously, the "law" part of it is pretty cut and dried--she'll review the definitions of service animals and go over the access rights afforded by the ADA and our state including the changes to the ADA (which don't really affect us much as Washington State has always provided more protection than federal law requires).

So my question/favor is to ask if you'll share some of your experiences with access issues (good or bad). We want to gear our presentation to the newer service animal handler who may not be as sophisticated as you all are. So what's the most important thing you wish you had known about your rights when you were a newbie?

Thanks for your help!

Kathi

Kathi, how wonderful to work for such an important and valued person.

I will share a few experiences with you.

When I first got Brenda I wasn't so sure about bringing her into the movies, into the drug store, on a plane or on a cruiseship. I had to experience all of these with her as a "newbie!" It was very scary. And, not always easy. The cruise was very difficult, until we figured out the "potty box" thing and going into the dining room, theatre and laying by the pool - where best to sit on an airplane, how to deal with the TSA, Immigration, when to arrive, where to go potty, etc., etc. - It took a few cruises and airline experiences to get it right. And, now I feel I could write a book about just cruising and flying.

Very early on I had walked into a JC Penney and was told; "Dogs are not allowed in the store and, you're not blind!" [i don't know where I got my resolve but I knew my life with this dog was very important to me and I wasn't going to be kept out of ANY PLACE] I told the salesperson that I would like to speak with the manager. The manager came over and I calmly explained that not all Service Dogs are for the blind and she had every right to be with me. He said that he staff was not properly trained in Service Dog access laws and he would hold a meeting with them the next day. Needless to say, I got an apology letter in the mail and when I walk through this store, to go into the mall now, I'm greeted with HUGE welcomes.

My worst experience was in a restaurant in Northridge, CA. The manager literally backed me into a wall and told me to "get out of his restaurant, with that dog!" I was terrified, he was mean spirited and would not back down, even when I told him about the ADA and the laws that protect my Service Dog. I refused to leave and called 911 [i had no idea if this would work, or not]....a police officer came out [it took about 45 minutes] the office took Brenda's leash and walked her to the manager explaining that she had as much right to be in "his" restaurant as he did.

I lost my appetite and left. The next day I called the corporate office of the restaurant and told them what happened. They were very apologetic and reminded me that my SD and I were always welcome there. I was sent discount coupons along with a letter. When I returned about 2 weeks later I found out the manager had been fired and the rest of the staff came over to me with big hugs thanking me for standing-up to him.

I've walked with my Service Dog, "Brenda" for 8 1/2 years. I've had many, many positive moments which definitely override the negative.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Update: We received an email from the travel agent with a dialogue directly from the Mexican resort. It states the dog will be welcome as long as it stays with us (duh!). You better believe I'm printing this note out and taking it with us if we do in fact go.

Where do I go to get the papers for Mexico? Disney mentioned a USDA site for papers for Canada. Do I go there? Ollie is due for some vaccines anyway. I'll just have to check the timing for our travel to make sure it is within guide lines. His rabies expires in 2012 so I guess he'll need that sooner.

Call your Vet for the information regarding this. He may be able to get the Health Cert. for you or he can guide you to a Vet who can.

And, refer to "Denversees4me" post. Cari has given us some great NEW information. I'm going to look into it for our future cruising. Sounds like travel on cruise is being simplified.

About time!!!!!!

one more quick thing I forgot the new certs are abot 6 pages long and the greatest part is NO MORE MAKING COPYS for the cruise lines !!!! You simply hand it to guest services they tear off their portion and off you go ( one for customs I believe one for ships one for air travel its cool )

This is a change. Sounds great. Thanks for the update.

Hi all

Denver and I set sail Sunday on our Mexican Riv cruise aboard the Disney Wonder CANT WAIT !!!!

There is now VERY STRICT laws pertaning to them and when you call the ports they have NO CLUE what they are talking about here is the deal

It is good for 30 days from the date of issue - Your vet will not be able to sign off that your dog is vaccinated against rabies UNLESS he gave the dog the shot himself so bring along a PROOF OF RABIES cert to your vets and the port - They must have a negative fecal OR have been treated for parasites in the last 2 months

RABIES IS VERY STRICT NOW - It must me issued within 1 year - 3 year vaccines are no longer acceptable so Denver just got his in june but when I go to sail this Oct I will need to re vaccinate against rabies before hand - I know REALLY BAD HUH ? but did you know the vaccine strength is the SAME 1 year or 3 its just written different on the vial to make people happy in certian states for certian laws - LAME TOTALLY LAME

anyways thats all I got ! Just thought I would pass it along - My vet was VERY GOOD and knew ALL the ins and outs bec he already got busted for sending a dog internationally with the old health cert - he simply had no idea

Roz- he is in agoura hills his name is Dr Neil Bodie you should look into him he does everything FREE for service and Guide Dogs worth the drive !

Hope this helps take care everyone !!!

Cari: I will definitely look into this Vet. Although, I love Brenda's Vet, he is very, very expensive. He never charged me extra for the Health Cert. but, he is very costly on everything else.

Again, thank you for the great information.

Have a superfantabulous cruise and please come back and tell us all about it.

You are such a great help when it comes to our Working Dogs. Please don't stay away so long!

Now I am really back. I hate to say we had alot of problems on this cruise. They were all on the ship. First thing was the ramp to the balcony...there was none. After calling the office, they informed us that the hp room do NOT have ramps. :confused: Well we have had one on every cruise we have gone on, and you could see the brackets were still there. Besides its a hp balcony room duhhhhhhh!! Finally after 3 days, and a trip to the hotel manager, they made one and compensated us 300.00 on our bill.

The potty box... First of all it wasn't there when we arrived and we were informed that they were busy with the luggage and would not have it ready for a few hours. I guess we were supposed to have Wex cross his legs until then. When they put it out, it was like 2x2 box with sawdust in it. This was not acceptable since the dog was bigger than the box!!! Wex was NOT happy, he hated the sawdust, maybe because it was blowing with his pee all over the promenade deck and himself. We had 2 seadays to start so when we got to St. Maarten they would get some grass and make a bigger box. Didn't happen! No grass on St. Maarten! So we waited another day, by this time the sawdust had gotten wet from weather and Wex was refusing to go in it. I don't think he drank and water for 3 days, cuz he didn't want to go in the box. Finally we had to force him in it. Finally by day 4 we had the new huge box and grass! Wex was so happy and not stressed out anymore. I think he drank 2 bowls of water that day.

Islands... St. Maarten we got off no problem, no questions asked.

St Lucia, We were able to get off, even though they require the titer test. the vet came to the boat and granted us a permit anyway. With our 20.00 of course.

Barbados...NoT only could Wex not get off, but they informed us John couldn't get off either. You had to take a shuttle from the boat to the terminal and they had no hp shuttles.

Martinique...We don't care for the island so we did not even try to get off.

St Thomas...no problems and same with Nassau, which we had a permit to get off there anyway.

We had a great time even with our problems. It was just very frustrating the first few days. I believe there is no bad cruises and it's what you make of them that counts. I did notice that HAL has made alot of small changes and not for the better. Even though it was just small things, they added up. It's to bad. But it was still a great time!!

Here's Wexlers formal night pic along with one of him and my son which came out great!!!

Holy Cow! Poor Wexy on those first few days. What morons!!!!! When we were on the Oosterdam, not only was the box 1 million miles away from our cabin but they used sand. The box was big but filled with yucky sand. I had a coniption fit at the Purser's Desk and would NOT leave until they put something else on top of the sand [they got some woodshavings from the carpenter's area and all was good]. Of course, I lost 3 pounds walking Brenda to and from that darn box. The next time we were on the "O" I made them move the box to our veranda!

Service Dogs don't pee in sand or they'd be peeing all over the beach's they visit. Don't these people think????? How dumb!!!!!!!

The pictures are so cute and you're attitude is wonderful. You really made the best of a horrible situation. And, them giving you back $300 was very smart of them.

I understand mistakes on the ships part......but, they MUST correct the mistake IMMEDIATELY not days later. These dogs are asked to do some of the most amazing tasks, they deserve to be treated very well. I won't accept less!

I'd love to cruise with you, you really know how to turn lemons into lemonade!!!!!

Kathi, how wonderful to work for such an important and valued person.

I will share a few experiences with you.

When I first got Brenda I wasn't so sure about bringing her into the movies, into the drug store, on a plane or on a cruiseship. I had to experience all of these with her as a "newbie!" It was very scary. And, not always easy. The cruise was very difficult, until we figured out the "potty box" thing and going into the dining room, theatre and laying by the pool - where best to sit on an airplane, how to deal with the TSA, Immigration, when to arrive, where to go potty, etc., etc. - It took a few cruises and airline experiences to get it right. And, now I feel I could write a book about just cruising and flying. You should! I would buy "My Travels with Brenda"!

Very early on I had walked into a JC Penney and was told; "Dogs are not allowed in the store and, you're not blind!" [i don't know where I got my resolve but I knew my life with this dog was very important to me and I wasn't going to be kept out of ANY PLACE] I told the salesperson that I would like to speak with the manager. The manager came over and I calmly explained that not all Service Dogs are for the blind and she had every right to be with me. He said that he staff was not properly trained in Service Dog access laws and he would hold a meeting with them the next day. Needless to say, I got an apology letter in the mail and when I walk through this store, to go into the mall now, I'm greeted with HUGE welcomes.

My worst experience was in a restaurant in Northridge, CA. The manager literally backed me into a wall and told me to "get out of his restaurant, with that dog!" I was terrified, he was mean spirited and would not back down, even when I told him about the ADA and the laws that protect my Service Dog. I refused to leave and called 911 [i had no idea if this would work, or not]....a police officer came out [it took about 45 minutes] the office took Brenda's leash and walked her to the manager explaining that she had as much right to be in "his" restaurant as he did.

I lost my appetite and left. The next day I called the corporate office of the restaurant and told them what happened. They were very apologetic and reminded me that my SD and I were always welcome there. I was sent discount coupons along with a letter. When I returned about 2 weeks later I found out the manager had been fired and the rest of the staff came over to me with big hugs thanking me for standing-up to him. He was probably just as big a bully to the staff as he was to you!

I've walked with my Service Dog, "Brenda" for 8 1/2 years. I've had many, many positive moments which definitely override the negative.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Roz! They match what we recommend--be confident and assertive but calm. Don't argue, just work up the chain of command and, if all else fails, call the authorities (although sometimes they can be part of the problem rather than the solution). And leave immediately if you feel you or your dog are in danger--nothing is worth being injured or killed. (Yes, we've had clients who have been threatened with violence!) And, since we're a law firm, we always recommend documenting any bad experiences: take names, find bystanders who will confirm your story, take pictures if appropriate, etc.

It really is a testament to your love and need for your dogs that you all are willing to go through these sometimes tense and stressful situations. I'd be quaking in my boots!

I'd love to hear more "newbie" experiences from everyone else--what did you wish you had done differently? Or, what were you really glad you did?

Kathi

Mornin' all:

Quam: I am sorry your furbaby isn't feeling good. Its bad enough when you are home, can't imagine being out of the country. I am glad the vet took good care of her and diagosed her problem. Speeding recovery to both of you!

Thanks! We saw our home vet on Wednesday (a few days after we got home, since I already had an app't for Wed. for the health certificate for our cruise) and he said it is idiopathic (the cause is unknown), which this type of problem usually is, but she is doing okay and just to watch it. He didn't give her any meds or anything for it, so I guess the round she got was enough.

Have a wonderful trip. I love when I see other SD's. And, its very hard for me not to always approach them.

If I was on a more casual walk and alone, I likely would've stopped by, but we were just downtown to pick up a ring I was having sized that we bought the day before. So, we just wanted to get in and out.

Quam: I hope your SD is doing better and better. I can handle my kids not being well better than I can handle Brenda being sick.

Most kids can talk; dogs can't! At least, it sounds like a good excuse why, right?! ;)

BTW, I just got the latest IAADP newsletter and there is an article about a talk they did at a conference about successor dogs. Although the article doesn't say much or give the resources they handed out (those would be nice for their Web site!), it still is interesting and good.

Mornin' all:

Hope everyone is okay, no posts since the 11th. Been busy, doing nothing of any interest!

I didn't get on this board much the weeks I was away. This is my first week back and I just didn't have the time to get on here 'til now. I've been busy with prep stuff for the cruise (had to order some items, had to do the vet Wed. and the USDA office Thurs., have to mail copies of the paperwork to one of the countries tomorrow, have needed to rest after my trip, etc.).

Oh, and I should've mentioned this on my other reply about why I didn't go over to the woman with the guide dog, but coming home in the airport while waiting for the connecting flight there was a woman who said she had a service dog, but left him at home because she didn't want to deal with any access issues in Germany (and I'm guessing also the vet paperwork, too). She had a photo of her dog, a cute yellow Lab or Golden Retriever (I don't recall). It is too bad she was away from him, especially since she seemed to be travelling alone (but with a rollator/walker and I think some other medical equipment).

I'll let you know how it goes as the process becomes more and more real.

Please do, as it is not only interesting, but I'm curious as to how having two dogs in the house will be as well as how handling a dog's transition to retirement and seeing another dog take over/get to go out goes.

I don't know if I have the patience to put-up with a "newborn" at night again!

I need your help on the "crate" thing. While Brenny's at work she loves her crate and is in it right now, just snoring away. She NEVER liked it at home but finds it to be a great comfort zone at work.

When I come home with a Successor Dog should I have Brenny's crate at home for her and get a new one for the new dog? I was thinking about this and want to make the transition for Brenny a good one.

What do you think? I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Yeah, each dog should have its own crate. Depending on the dogs and household dynamics, some dogs will swap crates/not think of one crate belonging to one dog and the other to the other dog, but in other situations it might be different. You never know when you'll need to crate them both at once, though, so definitely get two crates. You might even need to feed them both in their crates if either or both tries to steal the others' food. They might need time-outs from playing or fighting sometimes. They might need a place to go when life is crazy. The new dog just might love his crate and go hang out in there/sleep in there.

First, I hope you'll stick around here with your cruise plans now in sight! :)

Mexico only has access laws for guide dogs as far as I know (although this info. is from 2007/2008 since I was looking it up for my '08 cruise and haven't needed to look it up since then). If your husband's dog is a guide dog (I'm assuming so, since I assume you know the right terms and know The Seeing Eye only trains guides - you never know, though), you should be set. I can't tell you where online I found the laws 'cause I can't remember recent things, much less years-ago things, but perhaps if you contact the Mexican guide dog school they can help you out (I would recommend calling, perhaps with a translator if you don't speak Spanish, as they never replied to the e-mail I sent them back then).

Likely, the hotel doesn't understand what a service dog is/does and how well-trained it is. To a lot of ppl in such countries, dogs are either loose in the streets (whether strays or owned), used for property protection outdoors in the yard, or otherwise not well-trained and cared for. Some ppl get amazed that the dog can SIT on command, whereas for us that's the most basic thing even for a pet dog. They also don't understand how a dog could possibly help a person and how it could possibly be needed. Explaining what a service dog is, what your particular dog does for you, how the dog will behave (i.e. in a taxi, telling the driver that the dog will just lay on the floor at your feet the whole time; in a restaurant, telling them how the dog will lay quietly under or next to the table the entire time and won't disturb other patrons), and how your dog goes to all sorts of places (naming particular things like restaurants, theme parks, cruises, airplanes, etc.) helps them to understand and allow access.

I would call the hotel, directly, myself. Don't go through the TA to do this. As you know, Mexico does NOT have to abide by the ADA or the DOJ. And, they don't have leash/Heartguard or Advantix requirements for their pet dogs [that you may encounter on the streets or beaches!]

Oh yeah, if the TA was the one who talked to the hotel, that is never the way to go! No offense to TAs (my best friend is one), but they usually don't know enough, they don't fight hard enough, and some folks have a hard time listening to/believing a third party. Even here in the US, on my '08 cruise the pre-cruise hotel in Ft. Lauderdale originally told my TA that they would charge a pet fee. My TA/friend didn't understand that they couldn't do that, so I told her I would handle it and they didn't balk at me for a second when they had with her a couple times. (The idiot hotel lady tried to blame my TA/friend by saying she said the dog was a pet, but I read the e-mails and she clearly stated the dog was a service dog! Some ppl!) Always do it yourself. Nobody is gonna fight harder or know more about the situation than you anyway.

As for leash laws, not every place in the States has those (or enforces those) either. There are plenty of loose dogs in the States. I don't know of any place in the States that has requirements for dogs to get heartworm meds or flea/tick treatments; usually the only requirement is for rabies.

All that being said, if you are determined to bring your Guide Dog.....again, I would call the hotel directly, and propose your question about your Guide Dog being allowed in. I would speak about the training and respectfullness of the dog. That won't help you with immigration at the Airports or the taxi drivers [who hate to put dogs in their cars] worse than the New York cab drivers.

We were in Acapulco and I had the worse time with the hotel/the cab and even the bellman. I would NOT take my Service Dog into Mexico again.

Let us know what you decide. The only reason we had no problems in Paris was because they have no strict regulations on animals in their restaurants, any way! So bringing in my Service Dog "everywhere" was no problem. Now, ask me about Canada.......very difficult.

If you are insistent enough and show all your dogs paperwork it all can be done....it's just very frustrating and sometimes not worth the hassle!!!!!!

I only went to Mexico once (on a cruise), but had no problem with access. If you explain service dogs and your service dog and all to them (if need be), you should be good in most cases. I do this all the time in the Bahamas, including taxis and restaurants, and always get in.

As for Canada, it can be confusing because each province has its own access laws. Some require a doctor's letter to be carried on you and businesses can ask to see it. Pretty different from the U.S. where doctor and disability info. is confidential!

I don't really get many access issues, just the occassional idiot who can't tell my mobility dog is a service dog by looking at her harness :p which is solved by saying she is my service dog. Haven't been denied access. Have had some trouble with a couple airlines several years ago, but not in the past few years.

I think the newbies' problem is they don't have confidence. They act like they're sneaking their dog in or like they're defying the no-pets rule instead of acting like they belong there just like everybody else (which they do). Exuding confidence is important.

Knowing the laws is equally important, of course. I am sometimes surprised to see somebody with a service dog come on a message board and either post wrong info. about the law or post that they didn't know something about access (i.e. they were kicked out of a place but it was legal because their dog misbehaved). I think some programs might not focus enough on the laws with their clients, then there are others who didn't listen or read up on the laws.

When challenged, don't get angry, as that won't help your case. Stay calm, but firm on your position, and explain service dogs and all that (see my previous posts above this one about that - it works in the States, too, plus you have a law behind you in the States). If an employee won't budge, ask to speak to the manager.

If you and your dog fit the state's access laws, you can call the police if the business keeps on denying you access. (The police don't enforce federal laws like the ADA.) You could also have the business call the ADA Hotline, so keep that number on you. Some ppl also like to keep a copy of the pertinent sections of the ADA on them. Also, some ppl need gear like guide and mobility harnesses, but for those who don't, it is a good idea to put a service dog vest on the dog when going into businesses (even though the law does not require this). It just makes access easier as well as less ppl questioning you and it helps the public know not to distract your dog.

Hi all

Have fun!! :D

I'm not sure where you got this info., but the health certificate I just got this week as well as the one I got a little less than a month ago are still the same forms that APHIS created/updated in 2001 (it has the date on the bottom right corner). Seeing as the certificate I got this week was USDA endorsed today, it cannot be an old form that is out of date or they wouldn't have endorsed it. Not trying to offend you or anything, just stating what is with my certificates.

The certificate has always been good for only 30 days. Technically, the one I got in December is still valid for a couple more days, so I currently hold two valid certificates. However, not every country accepts them that old; some countries require them to be no older than 48-72 hours.

That's ridiculous about the vet not being able to sign off on the rabies unless he did it himself; not only is that super impractical (multiple vets in an office, change of vet, retirement of vet, death of vet, person moved, etc.), but how is a vet to recall if he vaccinated a certain dog or not? Bringing the rabies certificate is always a wise idea, though. I know I was glad to have it one year when my vet forgot to note on the health certificate that the vaccine was the three-year vaccine and it was in the second or third year of the vaccine (for a country that accepts the three-year vaccine). Since I had the rabies certificate with me, I just had to show that and all was well.

Not every country requires a fecal float and not every country requires deworming (though some require one or both). Are you talking about just changes with Mexico's requirements? That would make more sense (except about the health certificate form being different).

Some countries accept the three-year vaccine within a nearly-three-year period, some countries only accept dogs that have been vaccinated within the last twelve months (or a lesser number of months, in some cases). (Gotta love those countries that only accept one year of vaccine AND have a six-month waiting period after the rabies titer, making you have to time everything so perfectly!)

Yup, that is true that the vaccines are the same, just with a different label. It is disgusting and one of the ways ppl are overvaccinating their animals! I believe that just recently the last state to not have a law allowing the three-year vaccine finally changed to allow it, thankfully!!

That's how the certificates have been for at least six years. (However, the ship's guest services still just makes a photocopy instead of taking one of the carbon copies, in my experience.) I'm not sure what you have used before, but perhaps your vet wasn't using the correct form? I know different countries have different health certificates (the ones I've gotten in the Bahamas have been just a one-page computer print-out from the vet instead of a penned-in form from the gov't), but I assume your vet is in the U.S. so would have to use the same form everybody else uses.