Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I remembered your posts as we were there. I remembered how you commented about the stuggle of people being in your way.

As you could see we stayed at the Venetian. I was really worried about where Werin would toilet (as you can tell by my posts, it is a constant anxiety that I likely need "professional" help for - wink, wink) with all the concrete around, but lo and behold, the Venetian had a dog run right at the side of their building just for this purpose. They don't allow pets, but had this whole green area set up with a gate, baggies, the works. WONDERFUL!

Thats my major fear right there, where will Blitz go. Yes so many before him went on a boat in a 4X4 box. But as I sit in my lazyboy I have Blitz sleeping on his back feet in the air, Willie (daughters pup) next to Blitz same position, and finally Sarge in the couch feet in the air. I was told it shows how much a dog trusts you with this sleeping position; I don't know for sure buts its a sight to see for sure....

Thats my major fear right there, where will Blitz go. Yes so many before him went on a boat in a 4X4 box. But as I sit in my lazyboy I have Blitz sleeping on his back feet in the air, Willie (daughters pup) next to Blitz same position, and finally Sarge in the couch feet in the air. I was told it shows how much a dog trusts you with this sleeping position; I don't know for sure buts its a sight to see for sure....

Regarding a cruise and the boxes, I do have to say that it usually takes Werin about a day to get used to the box. We have had some very minor slip ups on the deck as I walk her around to get her good and ready, until she actually goes in the box. I just carry some handy wipes in a plastic bag just in case. I think it is the ship that Werin is adjusting to, as she will go on anything at airports such as gravel, turf, rocks, etc. But she always "gets" it in no greater than 24 hours.

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back to me. Okay, have to clarify again (LOL) :-) to clarify- I do not live alone. I live with my 88 YO Dad who has mild to moderate dementia and has as severe a hearing loss as me. He won't wear hearing aids (he has them, hates them, says they are too loud, too low, hurt, etc), loves loves loves Cassie. We are getting Cassie trained for him. Muffy, is my dog, and although her life will be short, there is no way of knowing when that would be. Or hopefully the doctors will be wrong and she will live longer than they say. Anyway, both of us will be on the cruise. My father wants to go before he dies. To put it mildly. Actually he is very anxious to go before he dies. On as many cruises as he can. I myself am something of a scaredy cat, and although I've been on one or two cruises, I am a little frightened of them, so I am doing this for him, not me. Since I've lost my hearing I have never been on a cruise, so it is somewhat intimidating and scary for me. So anyway, as for Muffin, I will not abandon Muffin, and I will keep her as long as she lives. I owe her that. She works well and is teaching Cassie, a lot. She has been amazing to me-invaluable, she changed my life, and I will continue to take her with me, anywhere I go. She is irreplaceable to me and I will not get another dog until I need to. If we cannot take them both, {Cassie should be totally trained by then,} then we will not go. It's as simple as that. So with that said, are we allowed to take two service dogs with us on a cruise ship? We will be sharing a room. Thanks for your help! :-)

I'm sorry if this is a double post......Miss Brenda decided that she wanted to push my arm and away went the fingers on the keyboard. She's wanting attention and a big kiss on the forehead seems to be enough for now! ;)

Anyway, I'll start again. You certainly may bring two Service/Working Dogs onboard with you. With the proper documentation there will be no problem. Our friends, who are both blind, bring both their dogs and really love the cruising experience.

I still do not think it's a good idea to bring a dog who's stressed or in ill health. I think the trip would be way too stressful and the expectation that this dog needs to work is unrealistic and unfair to the dog. To take your dog because you want to vacation with it, does not mitigate a problem for anyone. It's more an emotional thing.

I know that sounds harsh but we must stay within the perameters of being appropriate when we bring a dog onboard a cruise ship.

I remembered your posts as we were there. I remembered how you commented about the stuggle of people being in your way.

As you could see we stayed at the Venetian. I was really worried about where Werin would toilet (as you can tell by my posts, it is a constant anxiety that I likely need "professional" help for - wink, wink) with all the concrete around, but lo and behold, the Venetian had a dog run right at the side of their building just for this purpose. They don't allow pets, but had this whole green area set up with a gate, baggies, the works. WONDERFUL!

This is such exciting news about the "dog run".......We have never stayed at the Venetian and always find the toileting a bit troublesome [i need help with the anxiety on this one too!!! ;)] We stayed at the Golden Nugget, Caesars Palace, Wynn and Mirage.....we had to locate the potty places before we went to our room. To have a doggie run all set-up would be perfect.

I'm going to call the Venetian and get some rates. Thanks so much for the info.

Regarding a cruise and the boxes, I do have to say that it usually takes Werin about a day to get used to the box. We have had some very minor slip ups on the deck as I walk her around to get her good and ready, until she actually goes in the box. I just carry some handy wipes in a plastic bag just in case. I think it is the ship that Werin is adjusting to, as she will go on anything at airports such as gravel, turf, rocks, etc. But she always "gets" it in no greater than 24 hours.

Yep! Brenda had a "deck accident" when she cruised onboard the Diamond Princess. They had not set-up the potty box and I got very poor help from the crew. Now, I know to go directly to the Hotel Manager and insist, insist, insist on having the box set-up the minute we get onboard. Lesson learned. ;)

Hopefully, all that I've learned can be passed on to future dog handlers and they won't have to go through some of my nightmares. :)

Brenda's favorite sleeping position. And, the funniest to watch. Feet in the air, snoring and jowels flapping. :D

Practice, practice, practice before you go onboard a cruise ship, practice on your own 4x4 box at home. Once Blitz has been desensitized to the use of the box it will be no big deal for him and your crusing experience will be fun and worry free! :p

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

149023_456996786021_508476021_6035917_3435807_n.jpg

His last photo before he passed away

Beautiful boy! I know that the days that you and he shared, when he was well, will sustain you through all the sadness and loss. Keep the happiest memories of him in the front of your thoughts!

I'm catching up on this thread and read through the comments about what is heard while we are out and about. Today we were at one of our favorite restaurants. Other diners saw my husband get up with Ollie. After the "he brought his dog in here!" and another person saying "that's a blind dog", our friend turned and said "he's a service dog and can see just fine".

To Blitz' dad: Ollie is my husband's german shepard seeing eye dog. He is big, hairy and black. We were just at Mardi Gras last week. He has had Ollie for 4 years and it was his 4th MG trip!

This is such exciting news about the "dog run".......We have never stayed at the Venetian and always find the toileting a bit troublesome [i need help with the anxiety on this one too!!! ;)] We stayed at the Golden Nugget, Caesars Palace, Wynn and Mirage.....we had to locate the potty places before we went to our room. To have a doggie run all set-up would be perfect.

I'm going to call the Venetian and get some rates. Thanks so much for the info.

Yup, it was VERY COOL. It is located next to the street on the first level of the parking garage. Just a couple of elevators to take to get there. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful pointing me in the right direction. It is right next to Bally's, so that would be another place to stay and access it. It worked great for us as it was right on the way to the monorail station at Bally's which we used a few times. It could be used as you are walking the strip as well. If you go to the main drive in area for the Venetian (close to the strip) where people get dropped off, just keep walking south (walk towards the direction of the cars coming in - past the airport pickup station, keep going straight and it is right there across the entry street. It was turf and about a 30 yards long with gates at either end and a baggie/trash station in the middle.

We think the rooms are the best in Vegas at the Venetian as well -- Lovely!

BTW - are you still going to Souplantation? After moving from Wood Ranch in Simi Valley to Atlanta, then up here to Phillly, it is one of the things we miss most from CA. The other is Jamba Juice.

I'm sorry if this is a double post......Miss Brenda decided that she wanted to push my arm and away went the fingers on the keyboard. She's wanting attention and a big kiss on the forehead seems to be enough for now! ;)

Anyway, I'll start again. You certainly may bring two Service/Working Dogs onboard with you. With the proper documentation there will be no problem. Our friends, who are both blind, bring both their dogs and really love the cruising experience.

I still do not think it's a good idea to bring a dog who's stressed or in ill health. I think the trip would be way too stressful and the expectation that this dog needs to work is unrealistic and unfair to the dog. To take your dog because you want to vacation with it, does not mitigate a problem for anyone. It's more an emotional thing.

I know that sounds harsh but we must stay within the perameters of being appropriate when we bring a dog onboard a cruise ship.

The word is "parameter"......very important to get this word right! Since we who walk or wheel through life with an amazing hero have to deal with them all the time!

I'm catching up on this thread and read through the comments about what is heard while we are out and about. Today we were at one of our favorite restaurants. Other diners saw my husband get up with Ollie. After the "he brought his dog in here!" and another person saying "that's a blind dog", our friend turned and said "he's a service dog and can see just fine".

To Blitz' dad: Ollie is my husband's german shepard seeing eye dog. He is big, hairy and black. We were just at Mardi Gras last week. He has had Ollie for 4 years and it was his 4th MG trip!

That sounds like tons of FUN! Cameron, Susan and I always get, "Oh, there goes a training dog" since Cameron is mobile and they don't really know what else to say. If they ask they are usually satisfied with, "Werin's been specially trained to work with Cameron for six years now.: That usually gets them thinking (you can see it on their face clear as day trying to figure out what Cameron "has"). Either that or they think we have just bought a badge like that horrid story I saw earlier on the thread. I have noticed though in the last year, there are many more questions about Werin's breed, than about being a service dog. Maybe we can hope that the word is getting out.

Yup, it was VERY COOL. It is located next to the street on the first level of the parking garage. Just a couple of elevators to take to get there. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful pointing me in the right direction. It is right next to Bally's, so that would be another place to stay and access it. It worked great for us as it was right on the way to the monorail station at Bally's which we used a few times. It could be used as you are walking the strip as well. If you go to the main drive in area for the Venetian (close to the strip) where people get dropped off, just keep walking south (walk towards the direction of the cars coming in - past the airport pickup station, keep going straight and it is right there across the entry street. It was turf and about a 30 yards long with gates at either end and a baggie/trash station in the middle.

BTW - are you still going to Souplantation? After moving from Wood Ranch in Simi Valley to Atlanta, then up here to Phillly, it is one of the things we miss most from CA. The other is Jamba Juice.

Is the dog run something maintained by the city of Las Vegas or by one of the hotels? Great idea! Wynn hotel has the astroturf in front and that's where Brenda would go. It was quite a walk from our room so we had to time it pretty well.

At the Golden Nugget it was also a walk out front or near the parking garage. It's amazing how we can become very creative in where our dogs can go to the bathroom.

Once the "potty" has been figuered out in the myriad of traveling venues......having a Service/Working Dog is the best thing in the whole world.....next to our kids! Sometimes, Brenda wins this one paws down!!!!!! :D

Love the Souplantation. It's one of our favorite places to have soup and salad. We go to the one in Northridge [once we got rid of the guy who wouldn't let us in], it's a great place now!!!!!!

I love Mardi Gras.....we took our bus, drove from L.A. to New Oreleans and slept on the side streets. It was freezing cold but we had so much fun!

Brenda has gray hair all over her, especially her face [and, because she's black it really shows up] and still people will say, "is that a pup in training?" Are you kidding me? :confused:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

"Potty Talk".... Can I confess that I am at my computer screen with a smile on my face as I read of these issues....Mostly I am smiling at the attempts of those who have active sevice dogs to be respectful of the community, when you aren't sure where are when are WHERE there dogs are going to "potty"! As someone who works with young pups in training, my concerns mirror yours. I always have clean up supplies with me, and I have been known to go at least 3 hours early when I am working with an unfamiliar dog, to adjust to potty issues. But, still, potty time. .... never pretty, and so happy if I have another voluteer with me, ( or my own DH) to whisk the dog away as I deal with the results....

"Potty Talk".... Can I confess that I am at my computer screen with a smile on my face as I read of these issues....Mostly I am smiling at the attempts of those who have active sevice dogs to be respectful of the community, when you aren't sure where are when are WHERE there dogs are going to "potty"! As someone who works with young pups in training, my concerns mirror yours. I always have clean up supplies with me, and I have been known to go at least 3 hours early when I am working with an unfamiliar dog, to adjust to potty issues. But, still, potty time. .... never pretty, and so happy if I have another voluteer with me, ( or my own DH) to whisk the dog away as I deal with the results....

Oh I could write a book about all the great places for a service dog toilet! Now you got me going. I'm like a 12 year old that loves a whoopie cushion and fart jokes. Ok, let's do it. Pull in your best/craziest/wildest story in finding a toileting area. There are so many . . . .

- The time we stayed on the Queen Mary, you know the original hotel in Long Beach. Well they don't provide a potty box like the real ships. Aside from watching for ghosts, I had to take Werin off the entire ship (no less than 3 elevators) and then walk for about a mile since there was no grass on the pier in Long Beach until Werin felt there was someplace to go.

- New York City when we thought it would be great to book at the Residence Inn Midtown (they said on the website that they take pets, so wouldn't they have a run?), but the closest dog park was 15 blocks to the south. All the grass and trees on the way had spikes on them to prevent anyone from going. It was a long, dark walk at 11pm for the last one of the night.

- Or the time we were going to Atlanta from Philadelphia for a wedding, and I had the bright idea to take Southwest to save a little money and fly into Birmingham. Then the storms hit, and we had a layover in Chicago, but all her food, etc was in the luggage. We got to Chicago about 4 hours late and our connecting flight had already gone. We were stuck for the night so first we RAN outside to get the business done. Then I had to call Amex to get a hotel for the night that had a shuttle (since we had trouble getting a cab to pick us up). We got the hotel after feeding Werin scraps of human food, and just slept (Did I tell you Werin gets terrible gas when she eats human food?). Woke up in the morning, and providence was with us as there was a CVS next door with dog food, and a Ross for us to grab some clothes and get back to the airport for an 8pm flight the next night. (Oh yeah, NASCAR Talledega in AL was on, which is why there were no other flights until the next evening -- GREAT) We never go anywhere with at least a day's worth of all needs with us ever again.

- Love those little airports that we have to travel to like Billings, MT to see Susan's family, where you get off the puddle jumper and Werin sees grass right away, while we are still on the tarmac.

- Or when we took the train from NYC to Montreal, and the conductor was great. But believe me there is "no" pressure, as the conductor stops the train for the last "grass" close by train stop before they all turn into all concrete platforms, and the entire train watches you walk around in circles, holding up the already late train, while Werin decides where a good spot is. Yeah, there was clapping when we got back on . . .

- The classiest place is in Disney. They have a guide to all the behind the scenes spots. You open a door behind an attraction and there you are - grass and off duty employees smoking away. Beautiful

Now, hopefully you have noticed, that most of these were due to my lack to thinking ahead, which is why I say I am obsessive about where Werin will toilet - because it has been too close too many times.

I've got a few more to go, but I'll let you all jump in.

Edited by dvdfreakmc

Beautiful boy! I know that the days that you and he shared, when he was well, will sustain you through all the sadness and loss. Keep the happiest memories of him in the front of your thoughts!

For sure we had great times, and he is the only pet I have ever had to receive a award for his actions in assisting in capturing and subduing looters after Hurricane Katrina.

I am so proud of King and wish my legs held up like they were in 2005; sadly my legs have their own mind.

It doesn't take more than one bad experience to teach the lesson of "give your dog time to potty" before you go anywhere.

This is a true story [you're going to love it]: While I was going through "public testing" in Santa Rosa, before I graduated with Brenda, we were crossing a street and one of my classmates was walking with her dog, when her dog started to pooh as we were walking along. Poor thing was probably not given a time to relieve itself and it just had to let it go!!!!! We all stopped on the sidewalk as the trainer told the student to get a bag out of the dogs vest, give her dog to someone to hold and go pick the stuff up.

I bet you already know what our lesson was, when we got back to class......ALWAYS take the time to potty your dog before you go anywhere!!!!! Boy, was that a lesson learned! :o

Oh I could write a book about all the great places for a service dog toilet! Now you got me going. I'm like a 12 year old that loves a whoopie cushion and fart jokes. Ok, let's do it. Pull in your best/craziest/wildest story in finding a toileting area. There are so many . . . .

- The time we stayed on the Queen Mary, you know the original hotel in Long Beach. Well they don't provide a potty box like the real ships. Aside from watching for ghosts, I had to take Werin off the entire ship (no less than 3 elevators) and then walk for about a mile since there was no grass on the pier in Long Beach until Werin felt there was someplace to go.

- New York City when we thought it would be great to book at the Residence Inn Midtown (they said on the website that they take pets, so wouldn't they have a run?), but the closest dog park was 15 blocks to the south. All the grass and trees on the way had spikes on them to prevent anyone from going. It was a long, dark walk at 11pm for the last one of the night.

- Or the time we were going to Atlanta from Philadelphia for a wedding, and I had the bright idea to take Southwest to save a little money and fly into Birmingham. Then the storms hit, and we had a layover in Chicago, but all her food, etc was in the luggage. We got to Chicago about 4 hours late and our connecting flight had already gone. We were stuck for the night so first we RAN outside to get the business done. Then I had to call Amex to get a hotel for the night that had a shuttle (since we had trouble getting a cab to pick us up). We got the hotel after feeding Werin scraps of human food, and just slept (Did I tell you Werin gets terrible gas when she eats human food?). Woke up in the morning, and providence was with us as there was a CVS next door with dog food, and a Ross for us to grab some clothes and get back to the airport for an 8pm flight the next night. (Oh yeah, NASCAR Talledega in AL was on, which is why there were no other flights until the next evening -- GREAT) We never go anywhere with at least a day's worth of all needs with us ever again.

- Love those little airports that we have to travel to like Billings, MT to see Susan's family, where you get off the puddle jumper and Werin sees grass right away, while we are still on the tarmac.

- Or when we took the train from NYC to Montreal, and the conductor was great. But believe me there is "no" pressure, as the conductor stops the train for the last "grass" close by train stop before they all turn into all concrete platforms, and the entire train watches you walk around in circles, holding up the already late train, while Werin decides where a good spot is. Yeah, there was clapping when we got back on . . .

- The classiest place is in Disney. They have a guide to all the behind the scenes spots. You open a door behind an attraction and there you are - grass and off duty employees smoking away. Beautiful

Now, hopefully you have noticed, that most of these were due to my lack to thinking ahead, which is why I say I am obsessive about where Werin will toilet - because it has been too close too many times.

I've got a few more to go, but I'll let you all jump in.

Great stories: Here's my most frustrating one: I was inside a hotel for an event and I had not been feeling well the entire day......When I pulled into the hotel I saw that there wasn't a "stitch" of grass/mulch/gravel or anything else that would be easy for Brenda and I just wasn't up for a long walk to find any.

I took her to the bathroom with me and layed paper towels down on the floor and walked her over them repeating the command "hurry", "hurry", "hurry" over and over and over. Nothing!!!!!. With each turn the paper got smaller and smaller until it looked like a large wadded paper tennis ball.

I "sucked it up" and took two elevators to the lobby and out the front door in search of a place for her to go. I forgot to tell you.....it was pouring rain outside. I found some pebbles surrounding a huge tree, two blocks away and walked her back and forth and back and forth and finally she squatted!!!!! Thank you God!!!!! I got back to the hotel.....she was wet, I was wet. I hurried back to the bathroom to find those paper towels to dry us both off!

Yes, the potty part of going everywhere with you can be challenging! But, it's so worth it!!!!

I'm wanting to book the Freedom for a cruise this winter, but am having difficulties trying to decide on a cabin.

My problem lies in the fact that my daughter travels with a service dog and I'd like the cabin to be in the same general area as the dog's relief box. Different ships use different areas so I'm looking for deck number and if it's forward, middle, or aft.

Has anyone traveled on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas before?

Thanks!

I'm wanting to book the Freedom for a cruise this winter, but am having difficulties trying to decide on a cabin.

My problem lies in the fact that my daughter travels with a service dog and I'd like the cabin to be in the same general area as the dog's relief box. Different ships use different areas so I'm looking for deck number and if it's forward, middle, or aft.

Has anyone traveled on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas before?

Thanks!

Nancy, I'm assuming your daughter doesn't have a veranda cabin. If she does then they will set it up on the veranda. If she does not have a veranda, there is absolutely no reason why RCCI can not set-up the box near her cabin, just like Princess & NCL does.

If I'm in a cabin that does not have a veranda, the box is set-up in a "crew working room" near my cabin or in a stairwell near my cabin. There is absolutely no good reason [health law/ship law/crew law] that can be given to you for not accommodating you.

Speak directly with RCCL - 1.800.327.6700 and ask for Special Access or Special Needs Department [every line has a different name for handicapped accessible information.] Tell them that Princess & NCL are ALWAYS accommodating their passengers with a Service Dog. I took Brenny to her box in my pajamas and slippers [not such a pretty sight] but, it was very convenient.

On the phone they might tell you that they can do what they can but it will be up to the Hotel Manager when you board the ship. Say thank you and wait until you board. - This is where your persistence comes in. - Right after boarding go directly to the Hotel Managers Desk speak to him/her [or their assistant] and INSIST [in your most assertive/positive way] that the box be placed near your daughters cabin. INSIST, INSIST, INSIST [in a nice way.]

There is NO LAW that states that they can't put the box close to your daughter. And, there are places that the crew use where the box can be placed. Be neat about picking-up the litter and placing it in a plastic/closed bag [bring your own] - place the closed bag next to the box or the receptical they provide, they'll remove it - and always close the door when you leave. Show them good/neat behavior and they'll "get it!" They'll see that Service Dogs are neater than most kids onboard a cruise ship!

Final note: Once they've placed the box in a crew work room or service area......MAKE SURE THAT THEY KEEP IT UNLOCKED FOR YOU TO USE WHENEVER YOU NEED IT. We've had some folks who were onboard a cruise and the crew were always locking the door and, it became very sad for their dog who had to relieve himself on the floor of the hallway.

It's all very doable, if we teach them how to do it!!!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Nancy, I'm assuming your daughter doesn't have a veranda cabin. If she does then they will set it up on the veranda. If she does not have a veranda, there is absolutely no reason why RCCI can not set-up the box near her cabin, just like Princess & NCL does.

If I'm in a cabin that does not have a veranda, the box is set-up in a "crew working room" near my cabin or in a stairwell near my cabin. There is absolutely no good reason [health law/ship law/crew law] that can be given to you for not accommodating you.

Speak directly with RCCL - 1.800.327.6700 and ask for Special Access or Special Needs Department [every line has a different name for handicapped accessible information.] Tell them that Princess & NCL are ALWAYS accommodating their passengers with a Service Dog. I took Brenny to her box in my pajamas and slippers [not such a pretty sight] but, it was very convenient.

On the phone they might tell you that they can do what they can but it will be up to the Hotel Manager when you board the ship. Say thank you and wait until you board. - This is where your persistence comes in. - Right after boarding go directly to the Hotel Managers Desk speak to him/her [or their assistant] and INSIST [in your most assertive/positive way] that the box be placed near your daughters cabin. INSIST, INSIST, INSIST [in a nice way.]

There is NO LAW that states that they can't put the box close to your daughter. And, there are places that the crew use where the box can be placed. Be neat about picking-up the litter and placing it in a plastic/closed bag [bring your own] - place the closed bag next to the box or the receptical they provide, they'll remove it - and always close the door when you leave. Show them good/neat behavior and they'll "get it!" They'll see that Service Dogs are neater than most kids onboard a cruise ship!

Final note: Once they've placed the box in a crew work room or service area......MAKE SURE THAT THEY KEEP IT UNLOCKED FOR YOU TO USE WHENEVER YOU NEED IT. We've had some folks who were onboard a cruise and the crew were always locking the door and, it became very sad for their dog who had to relieve himself on the floor of the hallway.

It's all very doable, if we teach them how to do it!!!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!

We have only cruised Royal Caribbean with the service dog and have never had the box out on our balcony (when we've had one). It is always on an ouside deck, where it can be sprayed off and cleaned each day. They place it in an out of the way place. The only problem is that it seems it's always placed far from our cabin, so this time I'm hoping to find out where the Freedom places it so I can pick our cabin accordingly. This time we will be booking an inside cabin, would just like to find out if it should be forward, middle, or aft and which deck.

We have only cruised Royal Caribbean with the service dog and have never had the box out on our balcony (when we've had one). It is always on an ouside deck, where it can be sprayed off and cleaned each day. They place it in an out of the way place. The only problem is that it seems it's always placed far from our cabin, so this time I'm hoping to find out where the Freedom places it so I can pick our cabin accordingly. This time we will be booking an inside cabin, would just like to find out if it should be forward, middle, or aft and which deck.

Again, RCCL needs to be told where YOU would like the box. They don't need to wash it down daily. They really don't.

They can place a plastic liner in the box allowing for the removal of the filler every few days. The filler will absorb the urine and can be removed & replaced easily and you will be picking up the waste for them to remove. This is not complicated for them. Sometimes they need to be taught. I always ask them to leave the bag of filler for me to fill, as I need it. [brenda likes a lot of filler to do her circles in and she needs it pretty full to grip for squatting! :p :rolleyes:]

They can place the box where it's convenient for YOU. So, book your cabin where you most prefer and then request they place the box as I suggested before. It's very easy to do.

These cruiselines are just used to doing it "their way" and, they have to be more flexible to do it "YOUR/OUR WAY!" And, it's easily done. I promise you!!!

I don't mean to sound PUSHY in any way......I want your daughter to enjoy her cruise experience and most of all I want her dog to be comfortable.

Book the cabin of your choice. You are within your rights to ask to be taken care of. And, unless they're giving you the cabin for "FREE", it's your money they're getting.