Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

P.S Roz- Im like you ... I will wait till Marley comes out on DVD ... I dont think i can handle it in the theaters ,,,,, Im at the point now where retiring Denver is in the back of my mind ... ok ALWAYS ON MY MIND and if i watch the movie .... i might just have to be ambulanced out of there LOL

cari and D

Hello Everyone,

Princess is asking for imput regarding the amaterial used for relief boxes. :) Here is an an Email I received today:

Hi Darcie,

Thank you for the below. I have looked at them and I am not sure how people's reactions would be to the PupHead product. But I really do like it. Can you please ask your friends on Cruise Critic (yes i read the posts =) ) what they think of that product. Would they be upset knowing other dogs had used the astro-turf before and would the dog's actually use it even though it has been cleaned? Or would they still be able to smell another dog and not use it? (she is referring to the two links I posted previously - basically relief boxes with artificial turf:

Samples

http://www.porchpotty.com/?gclid=CLC...FRlRagodkEOCDA or

http://www.mojopet.com/shop/product_...FRlRagodkEOCDA

And if you can also take a look at the attached product it would help me out. I know that you mentioned that the pellets bother Lab's paw's but this product was given to me by a couple that travels at least 3 times a year with two Lab's. " I am sure that some dogs use these pellets...Most don't like them. I use this artificial turf for Brenda, on our Condo patio. She loves it. It can be cleaned very easily; it's comfortable to walk on; it does NOT retain odor (if cleaned properly).

I couldn't get the picture to print here but the product she was referring to was Purina Second Nature Dog Litter. Are these "Pellets?" If so, they're awful. They hard to walk on; they track the litter when the dog walks off of them and it's difficult to clean the "pooh" off.

Please weigh in with your opinion on the types of material that would work best for you and your partner. Questions to consider:

1) Will the dog use it easily? Artificial Turf is great.

2) Is it easy to clean and keep clean? Very easy.

3) Any problems with order? NO

5) Any other problems, ie, tracking, sticking in paws, fur, etc? Pellets track; stick to paws & to fur. Artifical turf does not track; stick or have odor. Also, Brenda has no problem using areas that other dogs have used....actually, it makes it easier for her.

Service dogs are trained to use the same areas as other dogs. It's what they have to do while going through the training process.

I think this is wonderful of Princess to ask the users what would work best. Please don't pass up this opportunity to give your feedback and make a difference to other SD teams! I agree....

I will copy all feeback and compile it in an email back to her.

Bailey and I both thank you for any help. Thank you, Darcie for doing this.....

If everyone could please give their feedback to Darcie so that she can forward it to Princess, it would make a huge difference for everyone!

P.S Roz- Im like you ... I will wait till Marley comes out on DVD ... I dont think i can handle it in the theaters ,,,,, Im at the point now where retiring Denver is in the back of my mind ... ok ALWAYS ON MY MIND and if i watch the movie .... i might just have to be ambulanced out of there LOL

cari and D

I know what you mean.....Brenny is going to be 9 soon and CCI likes the dogs to retire before their 10 or, at least, while their still healthy so that they can enjoy their retirement.

The thought of her not by my side, everyday is not acceptable to me!

I know exactly what you mean about having to have someone help you out of the theatre......I can't watch the "Animal Cop" shows anymore.....anytime I see animal abuse/death or anything negative pertaining to animals I become unglued!!!!!

Mind you, I can watch "Bad Boys" and car chases where "humans" are bleeding/being hurled over freeways or shot......but if there's an animal involved.....forget about it!!!! :(

Feedback needed.

Okay, I will start

I would LOVE to see the artifical grass. (The longer artifical grass NOT ASRO TURF or the short grass carpets like for RVs!The solids are very eaey to clean with rake and the liquids would go right through to either kitty litter or drain pan. The grass stays dry.

Bailey would not have a problem if other dogs used it or if no other dogs used it.

I am assuming (but you know what that means) that most cruises would only have one or two service dogs. But even if there were 25, this system would hold up well and be very neat and clean. No shavings scattered all over, no wet pellets, no odor, no hassle.

My second choice would be the Purina Dog Litter. Bailey's breeder uses that and it seems to work well.

I think shavings are really messy but not as bad as Cat litter.

Okay, there is my opinion.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK or PREFER???

Edited by Andar

Darcie: I did give my response.....I hope you got it....I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I have not seen or used the Purina Dog Litter (I'll go into the internet and grab a look.)

But, as I stated, Brenda uses the artificial grass everyday, at home. It holds-up very well. We keep a strip of sod underneath it and change that about every 3 months. Works wonderfully! I highly recommend it for apartment/condo or cruising. We never have any tracking/smell or mess. The grass washes with a simple squirt from a water filled spray bottle and some paper towel.

She was reluctant, at first but gentle teaching and the urge to go solved that!

Okay! I just looked at the Purina Dog Litter......NO WAY!!!!! I repeat, emphatically, NO WAY!

Brenda hates this stuff! It hurts to walk on it and there's absolutely no comfort zone, for her, for training on it!

Please, Princess, if you're reading this.....And, we cruise, at least 2 times a year, with Brenda...............

:mad: DO NOT USE THIS DOG LITTER OR ANY OTHER PAPER PELLETS! :mad:

If this is what you're going to offer.....we will stop cruising and return to our road trips. We do have choices where to spend our money!

Darcie

Are you in correspondence with allison at princess ??? if so i will e mail her directly .... i was the first to use the lucky CAT LITTER and had made some suggestions .... im glad this is going to get resolved ... YAY PRINCESS we will cruise again if it does .... i think they should carry 2 things mulch and the dog grass giving those an alternitive if they do not choose to use the grass after another dog , but i bet if they asked a company they would probb be able to clean it with some pet safe alternitive ... i know it drains and im sure if it drained into the mulch ( layer of mulch then grass on top ) it would also be good ... the grass could be rolled up beside the box with the mulch ... if the dog / owner wants the grass they can use it ... if not the mulch is still ready to go

cari and Denver

Darcie

Are you in correspondence with allison at princess ??? if so i will e mail her directly .... i was the first to use the lucky CAT LITTER and had made some suggestions .... im glad this is going to get resolved ... YAY PRINCESS we will cruise again if it does .... i think they should carry 2 things mulch and the dog grass giving those an alternitive if they do not choose to use the grass after another dog , but i bet if they asked a company they would probb be able to clean it with some pet safe alternitive ... i know it drains and im sure if it drained into the mulch ( layer of mulch then grass on top ) it would also be good ... the grass could be rolled up beside the box with the mulch ... if the dog / owner wants the grass they can use it ... if not the mulch is still ready to go

cari and Denver

Yes, Allison is asking for imput in making this decision.

Mornin' all:

Yes, that is a reason why I can't go see Marley and Me. As most of you know Reno is a "big" (110 lb) YELLOW lab. He just turned 13 on December 21. He is getting slower and slower in getting up. Of course he has to lay on the tile floor which doesn't help.

I'm going to go on a limb here, but I think they let Marley go to long. If the book is correct, he could barely get down the little steps on their front door to go out and go potty. Sad as it is, I won't let Reno get that far. He is eating like a chow hound. But he follows us around and just stands and stares at us. He will also start barking for no reason, well one that we can figure out, anyway. He is almost deaf and has cataracts. But he's my boy. I so dread what is coming for us. He is getting lots of love, hugs, pets, scratches and attention.

Sorry, but had to get it off my chest. It brings me peace talking with you guys about your furbabies. I will still have virtual furbaby friends!

Nancy

In some of the "closets" that Princess uses for the "pottybox" there's hardly enough room for Brenda, let alone two choices of a relief area. I like that they're using these rooms, which are located closeby our cabin (which makes the potty breaks so much easier), but good judgment has be used, as well.

On our cruise in November, they used a closet that had just enough room to hold the box and the door could not be opened all the way. They would use this room to also store some poles, which would get in our way.....I had to let Brenda in, then I would go in and then there were the dreaded pellets to deal with!

Princess if you're reading this...Don't use this area for storage while it's being used by the dog and use mulch, artificial turf or sod.....

Nancy: You're right about what happened to Marley, he started refusing to go down the steps and use his favorite area near his tree. I haven't seen the movie, yet.....I don't know if I can.

When you talk about Reno......I tear-up! It will be the toughest experience you will have to go through. He's your heart and you his! He's been with you a long time and you've given him a good life!

Our furbabies will "hang" onto life just to be with us....but, it's not always the best for them. They trust us to make that decision for them......Enjoy every moment with him, as you already do. We all love him!!!!! And, love your stories about him!

And, know that you always have us to turn to....you've been a wonderful source of information! And, you're a great cheerleader!

darcie

i will write allison direct thanks !

Roz cant wait tosee u on the 23rd ....

anyone got a good remedy for a toothache ??? IM DYING and cant get to a dentist till monday uggggggggg

cari and D

Cari: I'm looking forward to our meeting, too! It's not a cruiseship but we can still have fun!!!!

I'm so sorry about your tooth. You're asking someone who has "dental phobia!" :o I have to be given a valium before I can even sit in the chair to be examined. Most dentists will have an emergency number and place to go.......

I hope it's not too serious by Monday. Try some warm/salt water and gargle. Or, a bag of frozen peas (wrapped) in a paper towel on the outside of your cheek. For three minutes at a time!

Poor you! I'm so sorry! I wish you well!

I have found 1/2 strength peroxide as a good mouth rinse or irratation. Just don't swalow it. There are over the counter local numbing medicines that can be used. Like ambesol. Probably ibuprofen would be a good idea for pain management. Take it around the clock even if the pain eases. My dentist will take calls on the weekend. There are true dental emergencies and someone usually can look at you, or maybe call in a prescription for pain until you can be examined.

darcie

i will write allison direct thanks !

Roz cant wait tosee u on the 23rd ....

anyone got a good remedy for a toothache ??? IM DYING and cant get to a dentist till monday uggggggggg

cari and D

Cari, I am so sorry you have a toothache. That is misable, gargagling :(with hot salt water was my moms rediet soltioun. Goode lunck

Evening everyone;

Cari: I am so sorry about your toothache. Silly as it may sound, try the abesol, it does numb it. Hope you can get some relief soon! :( I have had an earache, off and on ? if that makes any since, since last week. Have been using the over the counter drops. Seems to help, then it comes back, guess I should break down and see a doctor for some super drops! But, alass, it is the weekend now.

Roz: You are such a sweetheart. I know we could never explain to "outsiders" what our furbabies mean to us. Most people just don't get it. Reno came in Travis' room this morning, with me, to wake Travis up. Usually Reno is just shopping for toys that he can take and waddle off with, but this morning he went right up to Travis' bed, put his big ole head right in Travis' face, no licking and started wagging his tail. Travis was so excited, he said, "I love Reno." I told him, "I know you do." What a moment. Travis and Reno usual argue more than get along.

Cari, I am so sorry you have a toothache. That is misable, gargagling :(with hot salt water was my moms rediet soltioun. Goode lunck

Cari, obviously I was much more tired than I thought ( full day of dr. appts.). I couldn't even type. I think you know I was thinking of you, gargle with salt water, and see a dentist asap, sorry you are not feeling well. Darcie

Evening everyone;

Cari: I am so sorry about your toothache. Silly as it may sound, try the abesol, it does numb it. Hope you can get some relief soon! :( I have had an earache, off and on ? if that makes any since, since last week. Have been using the over the counter drops. Seems to help, then it comes back, guess I should break down and see a doctor for some super drops! But, alass, it is the weekend now.

Roz: You are such a sweetheart. I know we could never explain to "outsiders" what our furbabies mean to us. Most people just don't get it. Reno came in Travis' room this morning, with me, to wake Travis up. Usually Reno is just shopping for toys that he can take and waddle off with, but this morning he went right up to Travis' bed, put his big ole head right in Travis' face, no licking and started wagging his tail. Travis was so excited, he said, "I love Reno." I told him, "I know you do." What a moment. Travis and Reno usual argue more than get along.

Those precious moments are the snapshot memories. Hold them close to your hear;)

Darci:

Thanks, I do. He came in the house with muddy feet this morning and I said to myself, oh well, it will dry and vacuum up. I am worried about leaving him when we go on the cruise. Will see how he doing then. May take him to the vet to board. At least he is inside there. They don't have an exercise yard though. Just take them out on a leash to go potty.

Hi All

OK so thanks for the tooth advice LOL i tried it all and nothing made it better LOL BUT thank GOD its better today. I did go to the doc before i posted and got an antibiotic and 800 mg ibuprophin ..... It did nothing Lastnight i took tylenol and codine and BANG it is about 90 percent better also i go to the dentist on monday .

How would all of you feel about a 4 night cruise out of LA ? i cant do the 7 night pet sitter not avail. if no one wanrts to though i will catch you all on the next one ! just throwing it out there

for those on the east coast im sailing Disney Ocy 29th 2009 if anyone wants to join ( or anyone here ) you cant beat the price right now ... for a cat 12 inside with transfers to and from port and also insurance it is 929 for 2 people no seperate but for both go to disney cruise line or dreams unlimited vacations if you book dreams unlimited they will give you 50 dollar OBC if you have never sailed disney OH MY r you in for a treat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is so much fun... i went to alaska and then i did disney last year the same 3 night as im doing this year and i liked disney so much better sad to say .... the shows are FABBY and the fireworks and pirate party cant be beat not to mention the private island ... im not a beacj girl i hate it but i went in the water here and they even let Denver go in for a swimmy

cari and Denver

Nancy: How cuite are Reno and Travis......How old is Travis?

Darcie: I thought your writings were a bit "telling" of how you were feeling! Too much to do and not enough time to do it!!!!!! Is Bailey okay?

Cari: I'm booked-out for cruising this year but we definitely will think about next year! We'll talk more on the 23rd. I've heard some really wonderful things about Disney....I have not tried them yet! They're on my "to-do" list!

I hope your tooth is not too difficult to take care of.....I hate tooth problems!!!!!

Anymore feedback for the relief boxes? I am going to email Allison tomorrow with the comments.

Cari and Roz, have a great time wish we could all get together and meet.

Bailey is doing great but a little depressed today. Yesterday, she got to have a play date with another whippet and they really enjoyed playing like whippets do ( a lot of spinning; running and playing like cats). I was going to post a picture but I can't figure out how to do it (other than my avitar) maybe it is just too late:confused:. I will try again tomorrow.

Cari: I hope you get some relief from that darn tooth! See you soon. We tried to eat in Porter Ranch last night and it was so windy we couldn't even get out of the car....the wind kept blowing the door shut! We looked at each other and then at Brenny, in the back seat and decided to go down the hill a bit and we ate at the Macaroni Grill. Geeeezzzz! The winds here, this past year and now are ridiculous. I hope we don't get anymore fires!!!!

Darcie: I would love to meet Bailey....my "porker", I mean my Brenny would look like a black bull next to her. :rolleyes: I wish I could have watched them play, nothing more beautiful than watching the Whippet at play. :)

Nancy: How cuite are Reno and Travis......How old is Travis?

Roz: Travis is 5, will be 6 in March. Hubby is looking at 32 day cruises! That one was to Mediterrean and have to fly home from Spain! :eek:He passed that one pretty quickly. But found one round trip from San Diego to San Diego thru the canal and back for $2200 pp. Its 28 days! Wish we could do it. The canal is on my do do list. BUT am definately looking forward to December. I sure hope our Governor does not get us Instructional Aides layed off again! That could put a damper in our plans.

How wonderful, you have a little one at home to keep you busy.

A 32 day cruise!!! I hope you do it! I love cruising but I don't really think I could do it. I must see and be on land after 14 days (the most I've cruised). Not just to visit for a day but for days.

The Panama Canal is a wonderful cruise and San Diego is a lovely port to leave from.

There are changes coming down from the Governator, I hope they don't effect you too badly.