Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chewy is back home and being lazy. I don't think he has walked so much in a long time. My son who is scared to death of stairs until now took them everywhere. We also spent the next day at Busch Gardens and a day in Tampa.

He is on a grain free diet due to allergies. Just because you get a dog from an AKC listed breeder with good showings does not mean you will get a healthy dog. Grrrr. He is doing much better on grain free food and I highly recommend the company. Also no chance of him getting a bad batch of dog food that has been recalled as it is made in a factory with human food.

At home he goes on a command on and off leash. Never an issue. He just will not even walk on mulch. We tried and tried. He also did not like to stay in a down stay when we were rocking. At least I know what I need to work on nect time.

Chewycozumel.jpg

RCCL special needs called me today. Got a $250 OBC towards are August cruise. A guarantee of sod and refrigirator. Also told to call them directly if there is anything else.

We are staying with RCCL as they are the ones are special group cruises with. I love the group we cruise with as they are amazing with children with autism. Thankfully my son had a great time, eventhough I did not.

roz yes 530 LETS EAT SOUP!!!!!!! yes cruise ships are trickey but i was told by the ADQA and DOJ when I called in reguards to my issues with disney that they had to comply bec they were out of US ports ......i dont know and i am going to call my friends attorney tomorrow who specializes in ada stuff ... WHO KNOWS

chewys mom - im glad chewy is home .It is hard getting a dog and owner traning which i assume you have done with chewy ??? ok INOVA makes a good grain free food its called IVO it is the equivelent of raw in a kibble form .... you can get him used to it about 3 weeks prior to your cruise and see how it goes if you think it would make life easier.... i wouldnt count on anything from the ship..... if you start relieving chewy on a leash and work on it before you cruise that will also help with the box issues ....you can even buy mulch and work on it at home..... it is easy to get in the habbit of not relieving our dogs on a leash since they are so good at just going out and doing their busness .... if you need anything or any help please feel free to e mail me off list .... i train and place service dogs for a living thru a service dog orginization ... my e mail is COUNTRYGRL290@aol.com

cari and D

Thanks Cari. Will check into the IVO. As long as he stays grain free he will eat anything so can try it. I have learned and will take a porta dog potty next time.

Now I need to find friendly excursions. Do cruise lines help with that at all or are we on our own?

I am so glad Chewy has seemed to recover from his ordeal.

A lesson I learned a long time ago, when I became disabled: I never count on anyone (or anything) else to really know what I need to function. I know...so I provide it for myself. I certainly call and ask questions, and try to get things in place, but I never really expect that things will be in place as I need them, so I come prepared. If I don't need to use my things, they get stowed somewhere, or set aside. For example, I used to have to travel with medicines that needed refrigeration. I always asked for a refrigerator...but always demanded ice from the room attendant, knowing that hotel (and ship) room refrigerators kept stuff cool at best. I need grab bars and a bath seat (or shower) but I've learned how to manage without them if it really is necessary. And so on.

Even if you spell out the needs specifically, there's no guarantee that the person receiving that list really understands what you mean. Assumptions are easy to make, and misunderstandings abound.

Yes, the ADA and all the other laws are wonderful. But getting them enforced -- and when you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean somewhere -- is a long-term well-after-the-fact job. Not when your poor dog needs to pee and there is nothing arranged for that to happen.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out, and I hope things go more smoothly next time! Poor pooch! Needs an extra treat or two, for sure!

Flsunnymommy:

Oh my goodness that picture is adorable! I would blow it up to 8 x 10 and print it on photo paper! :DIt is so clear and your son looks very happy. Chewey look comfortable. I'm glad things are working out. I would get the number to RCCL's guest relations that you talked to and call them if you have any issues on the next cruise. It is just not fair to you to have to unravel their mess. Maybe that would get some satisfaction. As for taking stuff for yourself, that is also a good idea. Not sure how the refrigerator thing would work. I guess a small ice chest would work to keep the ice from melting so soon?

Good luck, let us know if we can help, thats what we are here for.

Nancy

sunnymommy: What an adorable picture and it sounds like RCCL is trying to accommodate you. Yeah or the extra OBC's, love that!

Miss Cari and Sir Denver...see you at 5:30.

Uppitycats: You're so right about that.....Being independent is the way to go. I don't mean to be "pushy" but if I need to have my SD's needs met, as well as mine; I will move the box; I will refill the box; I will request more and more ice, well, you get the picture.

I sound really "brave", you should see me when "I just don't have the energy to fight anymore (for the moment), I'm jello!"

But, we all can be (walking through life with an SD can be very challenging, to say the least! But, after it's all said and done it's so worth it and I would do it again and again.) And, thank goodness we have each other and this board and wonderful thread...to be each other's strength!

Quam: Are you still out there? And, how are you?

well we just got home from meeting roz and her DH and DD brenda !!! WHAT A BLAST WE HAD thanks roz...... We had such a good time talking and visiting that neither one of us ate very much LOL !!!! The dogs had a wonderful greeting before we went thru the line to get our soup .....it was really great and i hope everyone on this board gets a chane to meet like Roz and I did .... i know we will have a life long friendship and my friends Amber anf Rick who also accomapnyed us will too !

Roz see you sunday at 1030 your the best and your husband too !!!!

Tell your DH to watch for the smoke signals from Rick ... he might be sending them when he needs help changing the baby !!! LOL LOL LOL LOL They are already taking about mex riv in 2010 so WERE ON !!!!

xoxoxox

Cari and Denver

I am so glad to hear y'all had a good meet and greet! Come on over to the East Coast so I can meet you all too!!! Has anyone ever taken a SD to a professional sporting event? I was wondering if they would offer the opportunity to take the dog outside to potty. Most of these type events don't allow you to leave the venue and return in. I was thinking of taking a SD in training to a hockey game, and then had reservations re: potty time, so I didn't.

Hello all,

No cruise news, but did have a good holiday extended weekend last week. We headed to Florida with the "Wer-bear" and Cameron. Two nights at Gloria Estefan's beautiful new Costa D-Este resort in Vero (best hotel staff ever with a service dog! When the concierge saw us heading places he would call ahead to make sure there were no problems), then a day at EPCOT (loved those behind the scenes break areas for Werin, while Cameron loved "switching off" so that he rode Soarin twice in a row.) and then a couple days with family in Tampa.

Hope all are well, as we are back to the cold up north. In fact it was snowing when we got in on Monday night.

Edited by dvdfreakmc

I am so glad to hear y'all had a good meet and greet! Come on over to the East Coast so I can meet you all too!!! Has anyone ever taken a SD to a professional sporting event? I was wondering if they would offer the opportunity to take the dog outside to potty. Most of these type events don't allow you to leave the venue and return in. I was thinking of taking a SD in training to a hockey game, and then had reservations re: potty time, so I didn't.

Werin has been to many games, as through work I have the blessing of sometimes entertaining clients at our suite, so sometimes Werin and Cam come along. Not sure about potty time, as we always have her go right before we get in. When we haven't had the suite, we have called ahead to obtain wheelchair accessible seating, which has been great as the regular seating is really too small for a dog and us to fit. This also works at broadway shows and the like (we either get accessible seating or sit in the last row, so that Werin has a little more room). We saw Wicked with her at the Academy of Music in the accessible section - which was perfect with loads of room.

We are back and are quite disgusted.

We go to check in and all we needed was his health certificate and rabies certificate. We got on the ship without incident and they said they were ready for us. We had to go check in with our group and TA. They said the box was on deck 5 in the aft with sod. So we drop our luggage off in the room and then I go to take him out. No box. I ask them to show me where it is and they are busy. We go back and forth over this till the muster drill. They inform me after the drill there will be a box with sod. (Big point here, we have someone waiting at the port for us as Chewy will not go in mulch and will take him and my son home) They insist I go to the drill and they will get the sod out.

I'm sooooo sorry to hear about this. While the picture is adorable, this kind of experience is my worst nightmare. We have never had an experience like this, but completely feel your pain. It is certainly enough to be dealing with a disability, but to have to fight you way through missed services and mixups is just too much. Sorry you had such a poor time to start.

As some of you are aware, I've been lurking in this thread for quite sometime! Although I don't have a service dog, I do have a child with autism who I am seriously thinking about looking into a SD for right now. However, with all that said, I am blessed to own a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who will be 13 years young in a few weeks.

I decided to jump into the thread after reading about FlSunny's post about Chewy - OMG, what a horrid experience for you!!! I certainly know what it is like to have to advocate for my child but to have to do the same thing for your dog when all was supposed to be set - bravo!!!

May I ask if this cruise was the one you booked through Autism at Sea? I know we had mentioned it in other thread, I believe. From the sounds of it, they were there for you. Do they only deal with RCCL or can they make the same arrangements that they offer for other lines?

Anyway, welcome home. I am so happy to hear that Chewy is feeling better albeit lazy now :D Also, how did your son like the cruise? Was there anything that was too overwhelming for him? How were the staff and crew with him? So many questions!!

Miriam (hoping to be a SD owner some day!)

PS. My Finn is fed a grain free diet now too - Acana Prairie. He loves it.

Hi Folks - Just thought I would pass this along. If you dog is microchipped in North America, it cannot be read by the European Countries scanners. They are on a different frequency. You would need to re-microchip in the frequency used in Europe. If your dog has a tattoo it will not be accepted by the European Countries effecive 2011. At that time, they will only accept microchip ID that their scanners can read.

Also, if you are visiting several EU countries, you will need to have the health certificate filled out in the language of the first EU country in which you arrive. There are bilingual forms with English as the second language.

Just finished all my contacts with our vet and the Gov't rep, to get everything in line with our trip....

DSCF0182_edited.jpg.a838e25272f8a5194a714c978441632d.jpg

kerrytens -- I must say, my son LOVED the cruise. He is ready to go again (we are going in August) and ready to take Chewy. We went on Granduer of the Seas from Tampa in January and Enchantment of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale in Novemer 08 (no Chewy). Both times were with Autism on the Seas and we have 2 more cruises planned with them. Their staff is amazing! :D When someone asks who my son's best friends are he tells them the Autism on the Seas staff and the waiter from the cruise. Thankfully I let them step in and took complete control of the issue so I could go enjoy the vacation. They would have handled it all, but dang it, I can not keep my mouth shut.

My son has learned to enjoy almost everything on a cruise, so much more than I ever expected. For almost everything that would upset them (lines when embarking, dress for dinner, muster drill, dinning room, disemabarking, and tenders, etc) our group director has it handled. They make so many accomodations for us and provide us lots of little extras(parties, tours, bingo, activities). For example one of the group directors has trained autism service dogs. My son wanted to participate in gagaball and we could not with Chewy there as not a safe situation. Our gracious host babysat Chewy for us so we could go participate and it made my son's day.

Having Chewy on the cruise was a lot of fun and work. My son got so much positive attention and talked to everyone. I can tell you we are more prepared for future cruises, but will not let one bad incident ruin it for us. Sometimes things just don't work out right and now we know how to make sure it does. Chewy will be going on all future cruises and we already are trying to encourge going potty on mulch (I have to laugh cause we really have a cat named Mulch)

Chewy will be going on all future cruises and we already are trying to encourge going potty on mulch (I have to laugh cause we really have a cat named Mulch)

Flsunnymommy:

That is a great attitude. I am glad your son is progressing with his ability to socialize! :D As for Chewey going, I guess it can only get better. I can hear you now, "No, Chewey don't go potty on the kitty Mulch, go on the potty mulch!":p

Best of luck for you and yours on your future cruises. Thats what it is all about.

Nancy

First, I must give flsunnymommy a HUGE SHOUT-OUT you are my hero of the week.

You faced unsurmountable obstacles and you have come away with such a wonderful spirit....I actually got goosebumps reading your last post.

Please give Chewey and Mulch a hug from Auntie Roz. You're an amazing woman.....

Cari: I absolutely loved every moment with you and Denver. From our dinner at Souplantation, with your wonderful friends and where every single wait staff person could not do enough for us, to the good-bye hug at the Chatsworth Train Station, with Denver and Brenda laying next to each other on the back seat of my car. (What a sight.) We had a great time!

I will always remember our SD's lying side-by-side just staring at each other, I wish everyone on this board could have seen them.....it was so beautiful. Denver, who is big and bold and blonde and Brenda who is a shorter, blacker version of him just fell in love!:p

We will be friends forever. :)

I am definitely planning on September 5th onboard the Golden to Alaska. I would love to be with you and Denver either then or on April 18th onboard the Sapphire.

Until we meet again, I look forward to writing to you on the boards.

Peter: We too, enjoy the theatre and sporting events using the HC section. They will let you out and then back into these events (because of the special needs of the dog!) The only problem we have with leaving and re-entering buildings is in some airports.

Miriam: You're going to make a wonderful SD handler. Let us know when it happens. Are you even looking?

MCDW: My Vet was informing me of the policies for traveling abroad in the future with an SD. So much more involved than in the past. Thanks for the information. I think they will have to come up to speed with being able to read a microchip in English in all countries. I think it would probably be a good idea to fly into England and then travel from there.

"MCDW: My Vet was informing me of the policies for traveling abroad in the future with an SD. So much more involved than in the past. Thanks for the information. I think they will have to come up to speed with being able to read a microchip in English in all countries. I think it would probably be a good idea to fly into England and then travel from there."

Unfortunately it will not be the European Union that will "come up to speed", it will need to be the USA. The European Union is metric as are most of the countries in the world. Even Canada went metric, but unfortunately is still using the North American microchips.

The problem with flying into the British Isles, is they demand an additional rabies test that other EU nations don't and that required a 6 month lead up time for the testing before a trip.

Oh the things we are required to learn eh?:confused:

I did it...I committed...I was shopping around, waiting (I don't know for what) and the 2 for 1 deal to Alaska just could not be matched. I put down my deposit and for me, that means it's set in stone.

We'll be going on September 5, 2009. Onboard the Golden. We'll be driving from L.A. to Seattle. I've got the time and my DH does not like flying. I do have some room in the SUV......

If anyone wants to jump onboard, with us, come on!

First, I must give flsunnymommy a HUGE SHOUT-OUT you are my hero of the week.

Miriam: You're going to make a wonderful SD handler. Let us know when it happens. Are you even looking?

First off, I totally agree about Flsunnymommy!!! I know what it is like to deal with a child who is having a meltdown because they can't handle the situation any longer!!!! Awesome job standing your ground for all involved!

Roz, thanks for the compliment - I am still searching out agencies in Ontario, Canada. I do plan on getting my application in shortly once I can get everything in order. I also hope that having an aged canine in residence won't hurt my chances - anyone have any experience with that? I had been told by one agency that they won't place a SD in a home with an existing dog (although exceptions are made of course).

Although I don't want to take away from the SD purpose of this thread, I must say another thanks for Flsunnymommy too - I know we have spoken briefly about our common ground, kids with autism. Your input about cruising with our kids has really given me the courage to give it a go with my daughter. I do have a question (yet another one) about autism at sea, is there someone from the organization on board with you??? Your post made me think that is true. It would definitely be that much more comforting for sure to know there was an advocate behind you (and one who wouldn't just start to cry - read me - if things weren't going perfectly :o).

As I said, I hate to detract from this great thread about doggies and if my questions are better directed to the organization don't hesitate to tell me. I have broad shoulders - although not when it comes to fighting for my child, then I'm mush ;) Kidding! Just watch out for this momma bear!

Thanks again and keep up those great doggy stories - I'm loving them!!!

Miriam

PS. The blond guy in my avatar is my much loved, nearly 13 year old Wheaten Terrier, Finn. The 'blue' dog beside him is Madison - she just passed over Rainbow Bridge in early December after a valiant fight with lymphoma. She was my saucy Kerry Blue Terrier - and, BTW, she adored and protected my daughter to no end and if trained properly I think she could have made an excellent SD albeit a tad too high in prey drive I would think. :D

Miriam: Okay! My tear for the day! I've never met Madison but she was a very lucky girl to have lived with all of you. Thank you for sharing a little bit of her story. These dogs are amazing how they will fight to remain alive to be with the ones they love.

If Finn is a passive kind of guy and if there's lots of room for both dogs, they will allow you to have another dog. I know of several people who have a retiring Service Dog and a successor in their home. Usually, the retiring dog will be cared for by another member of the family leaving the successor dog to deal solely with the person he/she's working for. So they don't get confused or distracted.

There are a lot of variables and in some cases it just won't work well and the training organization will recommend that you wait until the elder dog passes before you receive your Service Dog. Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't get the whole process started. And, I would suggest that you do get started ASAP. And, let them tell you what they feel will work best for you.

I know how much I love Brenny but I also know that I could not do well without a Service Dog......so, when the day comes that Brenny is done working I will call CCI and inform them of the near change so that I can be put on the top of the list for another SD. Believe me, I can hardly talk about this subject without getting shaky inside........

And, we, on this forum love ALL questions/suggestions and ideas and are open to hearing everything.

Please don't leave!

This thread was pointed out to me and I apologize for "jumping in" without reading back but I think it's just wonderful how many people can cruise with their "SD's." There was a group of about 20 on our Canada New England cruise a couple of years ago including two too-cute "doggies in training"... One man went with his dog on public transport in Boston to find a record store only to discover it was closed on Sunday - I was amazed. But the coolest thing was one dog, Ivy... She is a full size poodle. In Portland, Maine we were shopping with several passengers including two of the folks with SDs.. Ivy got quite the looks from a lot of locals who apparently were used to seeing the usual Golden or lab ... and I tell you.. Miss Ivy had that "check me out" attitude.. .she was all business and if looks could kill her "... and you have a problem with this" stare would have flattened a lot of Portlanders..

We are on the Golden May 16 but I'd love to cruise with all of you! :)o

Hello again,

I was just reading hostcaroline's post (and although I'd love to welcome her, I don't know if such a newbie to this thread should be the first one but what the heck - welcome!!!!) and it made me think - are standard poodles used often for SD's??? The reason I'm asking is that we've always been owned by non shedding breeds (meaning hypoallergenic) and I'm wondering if that is an option for me and my daughter? Or should I not limit myself like that? Is the pairing based on suitability to a specific case (which I am thinking is the case)???

Is there something you folks do with Labs/goldens etc do on a regular basis that limits the shedding?

Again, my apologies for the stupid questions but I'm sure you all understand! :D

Miriam

Miriam: Okay! My tear for the day! I've never met Madison but she was a very lucky girl to have lived with all of you. Thank you for sharing a little bit of her story. These dogs are amazing how they will fight to remain alive to be with the ones they love.

If Finn is a passive kind of guy and if there's lots of room for both dogs, they will allow you to have another dog. I know of several people who have a retiring Service Dog and a successor in their home. Usually, the retiring dog will be cared for by another member of the family leaving the successor dog to deal solely with the person he/she's working for. So they don't get confused or distracted.

There are a lot of variables and in some cases it just won't work well and the training organization will recommend that you wait until the elder dog passes before you receive your Service Dog. Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't get the whole process started. And, I would suggest that you do get started ASAP. And, let them tell you what they feel will work best for you.

I know how much I love Brenny but I also know that I could not do well without a Service Dog......so, when the day comes that Brenny is done working I will call CCI and inform them of the near change so that I can be put on the top of the list for another SD. Believe me, I can hardly talk about this subject without getting shaky inside........

And, we, on this forum love ALL questions/suggestions and ideas and are open to hearing everything.

Please don't leave!

OMG, isn't it amazing how much we love our dogs!!!! I can only imagine that extra special bond you have with your SD's - wow! I know how much I love (and have loved) all of my guys.

Finn is so incredibly passive and LOVES other dogs to no end (geez, he put up with the saucy one for 9 years!) so I will give it a go and see what happens for sure!!!! You have me all excited about the world that can possibly open up to my daughter. And to know she is safe ... wow! Maybe I can even start to give her some space :)

As for Maddie, sorry, never meant to give you a tear or two. She would hate that actually being so full of life and spirt!!!!! I will leave her story on that happy note because that is the best way to describe her - happy, loving, gentle, sweet, saucy and a total goof :D:D

No worries, I'm not leaving now. I love this thread!!!

Miriam

This thread was pointed out to me and I apologize for "jumping in" without reading back but I think it's just wonderful how many people can cruise with their "SD's." There was a group of about 20 on our Canada New England cruise a couple of years ago including two too-cute "doggies in training"... One man went with his dog on public transport in Boston to find a record store only to discover it was closed on Sunday - I was amazed. But the coolest thing was one dog, Ivy... She is a full size poodle. In Portland, Maine we were shopping with several passengers including two of the folks with SDs.. Ivy got quite the looks from a lot of locals who apparently were used to seeing the usual Golden or lab ... and I tell you.. Miss Ivy had that "check me out" attitude.. .she was all business and if looks could kill her "... and you have a problem with this" stare would have flattened a lot of Portlanders..

We are on the Golden May 16 but I'd love to cruise with all of you! :)o

Our guide dog school in Canada has a breeding program for standard poodles for the blind and they also have mini poodles for the deaf. The standards sure do walk with authority and are so wonderful to watch in their work. The mini's are used for deaf.........attached is my little guy.

978888446_ozandducks002.jpg.7f2dba891c1a00d4533c17b753bf0731.jpg