Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Peter: I love your new Avatar with the amazing picture of Werin. What a beautiful girl!

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to truly see how gorgeous Brenda is because the black dogs don't photograph as well as the yellow's. But she's a beauty too!! :)

Well I just printed my Boarding Pass for our April cruise.....LOVE THAT!!!!!! :p;):)

I prepared my signs for the drink tub; I bring my own Arizona Diet Green Tea and water for Brenny. I leave the tub behind (I buy it at Walmart or Target for $6 or $7 dollars.) It has a great lid...I tape it shut, tape my signs to all of the sides....drop it off with the porters....give a good tip.... and, waahlah, it's delivered to our cabin.

I empty out the refrigerator; put my own stuff in it....it doesn't all fit...so, as we use it, I put more in. Always works great for the week or two that we're cruising.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to truly see how gorgeous Brenda is because the black dogs don't photograph as well as the yellow's. But she's a beauty too!! :)

Are you kidding me? Look at that avatar of Brenny? And she lets the kids read to her? She, Bailey and all our furbabies are amazing. I could be just a little prejudice, but I don't think so! :D

In a previous life, we had a half black lab and half springer spaniel. She was all black, looked like lab, but was small like a springer and off course her name was Spring. She was something else though. She would go to bed first, on my side of course, then growl at me when I tried to get in bed. Well I would just laugh at her and she would start wagging the tail.

I think that would be an awesome idea if they let you guys take the furbabies to the childrens area, on a cruise. I bet they would be surprised how much they could teach the adults. I even think a short informational meeting for anyone that wanted to attend could. That would clear up some of the questions that you get stopped and asked.

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

Oh my, is everyone on a cruise? I know I have been busy, unfortunately not cruising. :( Well, the weekend is upon us, so everyone have a great one!

Nancy

I was beginning to wonder the same thing - you and I will need to hold down the fort, it seems until everyone returns ... and does some serious 'splaning about how we were forgotten :D:D

Have a great weekend folks!

Miriam

No cruise for me, but I have been working with a couple of 5 month old puppies. One came from a rescue group, so we are starting from scratch with him. I am giving huge praise for sits!!! He did really well on an outing to "Target" with me, I think he just needs some time. The other puppy is one that came from the breeding program, so his training started at day 1. Sits are easy for him, but he was more easily distracted. He also went on a shopping trip with me. I sure got lot's of ooohhhhs and ahhhhs, they both looked like they should be on TV, way to cute.

I am very easily entertained, so am enjoying my puppy time. Resident house dog is glad that most of my work is being done outside the house and she doesn't have to put up with a visitor. Don't tell her, but another one is coming home next week.

I am very easily entertained, so am enjoying my puppy time. Resident house dog is glad that most of my work is being done outside the house and she doesn't have to put up with a visitor. Don't tell her, but another one is coming home next week.

Wow, will you have three puppies all at once?

We did puppy raising for GDB but only one at a time.

I am working with Bailey on some new tasks. Using clicker training but we are taking a bread as she has had enough for tonight;)

Peter: I love your new Avatar with the amazing picture of Werin. What a beautiful girl!

Crazy talk. Brenda's picture is superb. In fact, during training we did get our heart kinda set on a black lab that we were sure we were going to take home, but Werin was assigned to us instead. Of course, we LOVE Werin, but still enjoy Dark Labs.

Sunshine;

All I can say is WOW, 2 puppies and you're going to get another? No wonder you house dog says "look at the paw", and go outside! :D

Darcie;

I'm sure Bailey is doing great. Reno did well in school, just not at home. He has selective hearing at home. Or maybe its just because he is a boy! :o

Hope everyone has a fanastic weekend. We are all black and clouded over, maybe, just maybe we will actually get some rain out of it. We will gladly take all the rain they are getting west of us!

Miriam;

We can hold the fort down. Sometimes I will carry on a conversation by myself! Its that ok, normal? Probably not, but as Sunshine says, "I'm also easily entertained!"

Nancy

OK, I read my post again, and it does sound like I have two pups of my own. Sorry, did not mean to mislead. I volunteer with an orginization that trains service dogs. Unlike guide dogs these puppies are kept at the training facility and go home on visits with volunteers. They are placed anywhere from 15 months to two years. I like to do a combination of volunteering. Sometimes I will have a dog home for a week or two, lot's of outings, time with my dog, learning house manners etc. Other times I just go up to the farm and help however the trainer wants. Last few weeks I have been working with the two puppies mentioned. I come home reeking of "eue de dog" and my own lab gives me the once over. Has anyone worked with "flat coat retrievers"? I think I am going to be bringing one of these home next week for some house visit time.

OK, I read my post again, and it does sound like I have two pups of my own. Sorry, did not mean to mislead. I volunteer with an orginization that trains service dogs. Unlike guide dogs these puppies are kept at the training facility and go home on visits with volunteers. They are placed anywhere from 15 months to two years. I like to do a combination of volunteering. Sometimes I will have a dog home for a week or two, lot's of outings, time with my dog, learning house manners etc. Other times I just go up to the farm and help however the trainer wants. Last few weeks I have been working with the two puppies mentioned. I come home reeking of "eue de dog" and my own lab gives me the once over. Has anyone worked with "flat coat retrievers"? I think I am going to be bringing one of these home next week for some house visit time.

Oh man, I wish I had the time to devote to such a wonderful organization!!!! What a great thing to help out with. Can I ask if the pups are fostered at some point (to continue their training with one family) or do they stay in the facility until they are finally placed? Sorry, silly question I'm sure, but your post has really made me rethink how the whole process goes (well, at least in my head anyway :o)

I would be a terrible foster "mom". If an animal crosses my threshold, it's HOME...and I'd end up with way too many pups and/or cats! :o I couldn't bear to give up someond that I'd loved and trained and tended to...

which is why I now have 4 cats...probably 3 too many, but hey...they came in..they're here.

I really laud you folks who can do this sort of thing. There are so many unloved critters in shelters that just need someone to care for them!

Sunshine;

I knew they were in training pups, but come on, two of them, at one time and now a third? :D It sounds like you have it all under control. I can barely control my one big ole fat boy! And he has slowed down alot.

Uppitycats;

I couldn't do it either. They have a really terrible commercial on tv right now about animals that are turned in to animal shelters or found. I can't even watch it, I can't get the tv turned fast enough. We did get our little darling, Leann Emily, the kitty in my avatar from the shelter. I had to go thru the dog kennel to get to the cat kennel. I held my breath, closed my eyes and tried not to hear. I just can't take it. I always wonder about people who say they "hate" or don't like animals? Whats up with that.

Nancy

Oh man, I wish I had the time to devote to such a wonderful organization!!!! What a great thing to help out with. Can I ask if the pups are fostered at some point (to continue their training with one family) or do they stay in the facility until they are finally placed? Sorry, silly question I'm sure, but your post has really made me rethink how the whole process goes (well, at least in my head anyway :o)

There are a few volunteers who take pups and dogs home for extended visits. They actually work on true training while they live in the home. Sort of home schooled. These dogs are placed very young with their recepients, so most have not had real lengthy home visitation time, but have had exposure to many different homes, pets, places, personality types etc. It helps to know each dogs temperment and personality when matching with recepients.

If I give a piece of my heart to each of these animals they give me a bigger piece back. And when I see them graduate and go out in that world to work at someones side, my heart grows even bigger.

I have a yellow lab of my own and a fiesty old cat so my house is pretty full all by itself. I do enjoy the home visits, but they can be intense, so am usually ready to take the dog back and relax. When I have a dog or pup at home everyone has to be on their toes. No getting on the furniture, watch for counter surfing, help with house training, reward that positive behavior, try not to praise behavior you don't want to see........., whew I'm getting tired already. Now, time for my morning coffee and then some ball throwing with Sandy the spoiled rotten, love of my life, yellow lab. :)

It is so interesting the different methods of training/socializing the puppies. These dogs are amazing. :)

I just changed my avatar (again) to the pic of Bailey working in the Read 2 Rover program. I love her face in this pic.

Edited by Andar

I also love that picture of Bailey. She looks so intense and like she is reading the book too! What a sweetie.

Sunshine:

My big ole fat yellow boy is to the point where he says "You threw kong, you go get him!" I did buy him a rubber bone for Christmas and was surprised that he actually chews on it. He has his little stash in the house, two store bought bones and the rubber one. He will go get all three, come back and put them between his front legs. He then checks all three out before choosing one.

Nancy

OMG Nancy, you made me laugh about the bones everywhere. We just had the carpet replaced and the crew moved the furniture and put it back. When we got home there was a neat little pile of rawhides, toys and other treasures, Bailey had hidden. :o

Darcie;

Reno is so bad. Kitty can't have any toys because he takes them and shreds them. I think I have bought her 4 mice, one at time. He has snatched each one and shredded it. Both him and kitty go "shopping" in grandson's room for toys. Leann (Kitty) has a nice group. Reno goes for the stuffed animals so he can maul them. Grandson learned the "dog spit" and "kitty spit" words pretty quickly. He doesn't like to touch them all spitted up and tells me "You get them." I tell him "No, you left your bedroom door open." It's really quite comical around here.

Now, on topic, "I NEED A CRUISE!" Any cruise would do at this point.......:D

Nancy

Darcie;

Reno is so bad. Kitty can't have any toys because he takes them and shreds them. I think I have bought her 4 mice, one at time. He has snatched each one and shredded it. Both him and kitty go "shopping" in grandson's room for toys. Leann (Kitty) has a nice group. Reno goes for the stuffed animals so he can maul them. Grandson learned the "dog spit" and "kitty spit" words pretty quickly. He doesn't like to touch them all spitted up and tells me "You get them." I tell him "No, you left your bedroom door open." It's really quite comical around here.

Now, on topic, "I NEED A CRUISE!" Any cruise would do at this point.......:D

Nancy

So nice to know that my guys were not the only ones to 'go shopping' for toys in open bedrooms :D Madison was renowned for it - that and some good old grocery shopping for food too, chow hound that she was!

Thankfully my 13 yr. old Finn is long past his 'shopping' days and much happier sleeping now - my daughter is quite pleased with that too.

I'll join you in the cruise idea. What in the world has happened to me? I've only been on one and now I spend just about every spare moment on the computer searching for my next one - does it ever stop? :eek:

Miriam

If I give a piece of my heart to each of these animals they give me a bigger piece back. And when I see them graduate and go out in that world to work at someones side, my heart grows even bigger.

Words to get "teary-eyed" over.

Hi, everyone! We just got our luggage tags and e-doc's for our April cruise.....I'm doing the "DOC-DANCE!" :p

And, there's a lovely group on our Cruise Critic board for the September 6th cruise to Alaska......Feel free to jump on, anyone!!!

Thanks Peter for the kind words....I never wanted a Black Lab.....but, now, she's the love of my life!!!!!

And, when I see the blonde hairs all over black pants, on those of you with yellow Labs.....I don't complaing too much! :rolleyes:

Miriam;

That would be a "no" it will never stop....so don't fight it. I think I like finding the all time best price for a cruise as much as I like cruising! :D

Roz:

How exciting! Seems almost real, huh? Next thing is getting packed and loaded into the car to start the journey. Does Brenny get excited when she sees the suitcases out? Reno doesn't pay too much attention to them. Now get his harness or leash and all bets are off, he's ready to go, anywhere. I have to practically drag him to get him to pee before getting into the car. As bad as a kid!

Nancy

Well...we went back up to CCI on Long Island on Friday to take our six month public access test at the Smith Haven Mall. We passed with flying colors. Orson was at his best. Now we are good for a year. I can now put my efforts to getting Orson's paperwork together for the cruise.

Well...we went back up to CCI on Long Island on Friday to take our six month public access test at the Smith Haven Mall. We passed with flying colors. Orson was at his best. Now we are good for a year. I can now put my efforts to getting Orson's paperwork together for the cruise.

Congrats. I know our knees shake during those tests but after our 3 year one we felt great. Good job!