Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK, I'm now sort of live-blogging the show--hope no one minds!

They just had a tribute to service dogs. One young man in a wheelchair and an Iraq war vet with their dogs. Very moving.

The white bull terrier is retiring after tonight to become a therapy/reading dog.

Kerrytens--the Kerry Blue is up now--gorgeous pup!

Kathi

Tyler's is still watching 90 minutes into the show. Toby's gone to bed.

So what's up with the handlers sticking the dog treats in their mouths? Yuck! Does anyone know why they do that?

The Staffordshire Terrier (aka Pit Bull) is up--what a beautiful dog that has been so debased by humans. Makes me want to cry.

So the Otterhound won the hound group and the Scottie won the terrier group. Non-sporting is up next. The other groups and best in show is tomorrow!

Kathi

So the Otterhound won the hound group and the Scottie won the terrier group. Non-sporting is up next. The other groups and best in show is tomorrow!

I was wrong, it was the Scottish Deerhound that won the hound group. And we still have non-sporting and herding groups tonight. Sporting, Toy and Working groups are tomorrow.

The non-sporting group is especially dear to our hearts as Jay-Jay, our beloved Chinese Shar-Pei was the best dog ever and when she passed away in 2006 we were heartbroken. She actually picked out Toby for us as our next dog! The standard poodle won the group. Meh--nothing against the poodles but why do they give them those ridiculous haircuts?

Now onto the herding dogs--what an awesome group of bouncy, happy pups! The German Shepard Dog winner is a working Border Patrol dog. I didn't know that Corgies were herding dogs and who doesn't love an Old English Sheepdog? But the Puli won the herding group--Rasta dogs rule!

Kathi

I love that they brought in the Service Dogs to show them off!!!! They well deserve it! I could hug them all!!!!!!!

I love watching the dog shows.....I've NEVER seen a Lab win, yet....no matter, they're the worlds number 1 dog!!!!

They don't actually give the dogs the "liver" treat they just allow them to taste it and want more.....it gets the dog to perform better! I love when the handler puts it into their mouth and allows the dog to lick it from there!

And, the poodle can be an amazing Service Dog (minus the cut!) :p Although, they're so regal looking and walking! It's really a treat to watch them pull a wheel chair or pay for the groceries, with the wallet in their mouth! :)

Disney: That's awesome! Congratulations!! Isn't it a great feeling once the testing is over and you know you did well!

Brenda will be 9 1/2 years old on her next testing. We'll see what CCI says. She's still sharp (a bit of a foreger but will stop when I call her on it!)

She'll go for her re-cert in San Diego......a really nice group of folks down there!

They literally ask you to put your dog in a "down-stay" and then they toss dog bisquits at her, they even lie the treats down, right under her nose and see if they can entice her. All the while I'm giving her the command "leave it!" She hasn't eaten a bisquit or a french fry, yet!

Disney: That's awesome! Congratulations!! Isn't it a great feeling once the testing is over and you know you did well!

Brenda will be 9 1/2 years old on her next testing. We'll see what CCI says. She's still sharp (a bit of a foreger but will stop when I call her on it!)

She'll go for her re-cert in San Diego......a really nice group of folks down there!

They literally ask you to put your dog in a "down-stay" and then they toss dog bisquits at her, they even lie the treats down, right under her nose and see if they can entice her. All the while I'm giving her the command "leave it!" She hasn't eaten a bisquit or a french fry, yet!

They did a bisquit toss as we were walking through the mall. They also had us sit at the food court and put the dogs on a down. They then tossed bisquits at them. :eek: Orson shifted himself around about 45 degrees not to see them. :rolleyes: I never had to say a word. :D

EEEEK! The "dreaded food court!" That's where the french fries come in.....Poor Brenda....she gets sensory overload! She doesn't turn away like Orson.....Nooooo, she turns into the sight and smell of food and "plots" when she's going to go for it!

She'll try on her way out from underneath a table to reach for something "yummy" on the floor....afterall, she's been eyeing it for the past hour that she's been under the table.....she figures with all that restraint she's been using, she could have made a mad dash for it while we weren't looking, she deserves a reward for all the "control!" NOT!!!!! I swear, you'd think we didn't feed her!!!!! :rolleyes:

It's her worst habit......and, we've worked with her for over 7 years.....When we go to workshops the trainers have all kinds of suggestions (yeah! right!) They knew her personality the day we left CCI with her!....They just knew that I'd be able to control her! 99 & 3/4 percent...I can....but, every once in a while.....the "foreger" and "happy greeter" comes out in her! I've learned to not acknowledge her bad behavior and just keep moving with a "tug" on her lead....and a firm "let's go!"

Oh, I love Westminster!!! My first Wheaten Terror, err terrier, was sold to us as a potential show prospect (not that we wanted to go that route, it was more the breeder asking us). He didn't really grow into what she thought was suitable, which was fine with me so he lasted out his years as our lovely house dog. One of the best parts about having him come into our lives was the opportunity to get our second Wheaten - a retired show girl that the breeder placed with us. She had a few litters of pups (we raised one!!!) and from one of them, we got my current boy!!!!! Finnegan.

Madison, the Kerry Boo, came into our life after we lost Finn's mom to cancer (gee, I'm just a fountain of 'good' doggy news :(). She was my first REAL intro into dog shows - she was sold to me as 'pet quality' (have to love that term!) but when her breeder saw her again at 14 weeks, she begged me to allow her to show her. Said she made a HUGE mistake in her judgement. And she was right, Maddie went on to to win some pretty big things as a pup, including some specialty shows!!!

As for seeing the Kerry last night, I BAWLED!!! It has been 3 months since losing Maddie but every once in a while something really reminds me of her and the mere thought of not being able to hug that soft curlies fur anymore .... well, you get the idea :(:(

Of course, I loved watching the Wheaten too (I'd stopped crying at that point!!!) but the handler was shaking like a leaf it seemed. Must be nerve wracking to say the least.

But, I still ADORE this show. What an honour it must be to be invited to show in Madison Square Gardens and then to win your breed ... OMG!!!!

My fave terrier last night was the Norwich Terrier - thought he had it for a bit but the Scottie was quite deserving.

Can't wait for tonight's blog!!!

Miriam

EEEEK! The "dreaded food court!" That's where the french fries come in.....Poor Brenda....she gets sensory overload! She doesn't turn away like Orson.....Nooooo, she turns into the sight and smell of food and "plots" when she's going to go for it!

She'll try on her way out from underneath a table to reach for something "yummy" on the floor....afterall, she's been eyeing it for the past hour that she's been under the table.....she figures with all that restraint she's been using, she could have made a mad dash for it while we weren't looking, she deserves a reward for all the "control!" NOT!!!!! I swear, you'd think we didn't feed her!!!!! :rolleyes:

It's her worst habit......and, we've worked with her for over 7 years.....When we go to workshops the trainers have all kinds of suggestions (yeah! right!) They knew her personality the day we left CCI with her!....They just knew that I'd be able to control her! 99 & 3/4 percent...I can....but, every once in a while.....the "foreger" and "happy greeter" comes out in her! I've learned to not acknowledge her bad behavior and just keep moving with a "tug" on her lead....and a firm "let's go!"

I love hearing these stories. I had to pass handling classes and a final certification before I became a certified volunteer handler. Yikes, I wouldn't want to do it again! And you have to do it every year??? I didn't know that. Congrats all of you.

The dreaded food court. I am always checking under the table for fries etc before we sit, but I think they just appear from no where.

I have a flat coated retriever home with me for a few days of outings and socialization. He is super sweet, stays right by my side, so far has pretty good house manners. I thought I was pretty knowledble abt my dog breeds, especially the retrievers, but I hadn't heard of this. Needless to say before I met him, I had consulted my dog breed book and done some internet surfing. He looks more like a setter to me than a retreiver. The orginization has two they are training for service. Want to see if the extra heighth will help with those who have balance issues.

He sure is pretty or I guess I should say handsome.

Edited by sunshine426

No thanks are needed. I only share because it is a different path with a service dog that I have. Right now I have a six month old black lab-golden mix sleeping next to me. We had a great trip to home depot, a walk around the lake at heel(which took lot's of treats and motivation), she stayed with me while I unloaded the dishwasher, and is doing great with "Leave It's. I only met her this morning, and will return her tomorow. She is going to make a great best friend for someone some day. Maybe she will even go on a cruise or two!!!
Iwas taking a side trip down memory lane and re reading this thread. When I came to this post I had to smile. That puppy graduated in November. She was a young graduate at 13 months, but was a superstar. Her recepient was a little girl, in a wheel chair and the two were bonded from the first moment they came together.

I love hearing these stories. I had to pass handling classes and a final certification before I became a certified volunteer handler. Yikes, I wouldn't want to do it again! And you have to do it every year??? I didn't know that. Congrats all of you.

The dreaded food court. I am always checking under the table for fries etc before we sit, but I think they just appear from no where.

Same here - I had no idea that the dogs have to be tested every year. Can I ask what happens if a dog does not pass (not possible with any of the guys on this list :) but ...)???

Miriam

Iwas taking a side trip down memory lane and re reading this thread. When I came to this post I had to smile. That puppy graduated in November. She was a young graduate at 13 months, but was a superstar. Her recepient was a little girl, in a wheel chair and the two were bonded from the first moment they came together.

Amazing!!! Thanks for actually taking that trip down memory lane so that I could learn about this superstar. Love it!!!

Do you get regular updates at all about the pups you've helped, either from the organization your volunteer with or the families who have been blessed with them???

I've often wondered if I could raise a SD but from what you describe, the joy/peace of mind/happiness etc that they bring to their families would far outweight that heavy heart. Besides, they are always part of you!!!

Miriam

I thought that dog would be going out in the January 2009 training camp. I was on vacation the first week in November when I got the word from her trainer. They just could not find a match for her in the November camp, so they went to the trainers to see who else might be ready. She aced her service dog exam, and they tried her out. I had some photos from her LAST home vist and her FIRST home visit to give to this fabulous family. I was soooooooo proud of her.

Hello again! It has been a long time. I have been fighting off my MS lately and not doing especially well. I am starting a new drug called Copaxon that I am very hopeful about. Down side is I have to give myself a shot every day. YUK!!:eek: I'm sure I'll be up and crusing very soon and promise to write more often about myself and Valentine and our adventures.

I'm always so frustrated with the dog shows because if you get to see a Japanese Chin they sure never get picked out of the group as special. Makes me made every time! It may be because I have the most beautiful, most well behaved, lovable, and any other good thing that you can think of as my service dog. Her name is Valentine but her papers say she is "Cutie Pie be my Valentine". Talk about a prissy name!:D Since we have been on the boards we have did a T/A crossing from Rome to FL. Valentine did very well but did receive way too many "drive by pettings" I do wish the public could understand that that dog gets to be there for a reason and with special reasons and that no they can not bring fluffy along with them next time.

Valentine and I are getting ready to take my Mom and Sister on a 6 day cruise to the Bahamas. This will be my sister's first cruise. I think it's harder to get paperwork for the bahamas than to go to Europe.:( Does anyone know if anything besides shot records is needed if not leaving the ship? I also have to find some new pictures to post of Valentine in Europe for all to see.

Feels good to be back

Barbara

Same here - I had no idea that the dogs have to be tested every year. Can I ask what happens if a dog does not pass (not possible with any of the guys on this list :) but ...)???

Miriam

Kerry,

With CCI, if a dog or human does not pass the public access test, then you cannot take it out in public until you pass a rescheduled test. They want to make sure the SD doesn't become just a well trained pet that they spent so much time and money to train.

Kerry,

With CCI, if a dog or human does not pass the public access test, then you cannot take it out in public until you pass a rescheduled test. They want to make sure the SD doesn't become just a well trained pet that they spent so much time and money to train.

Is it a state or federal law that these re exams occur or is it up to the original training orginization? It does sound like a good idea.

Hello again! It has been a long time. I have been fighting off my MS lately and not doing especially well. I am starting a new drug called Copaxon that I am very hopeful about. Down side is I have to give myself a shot every day. YUK!!:eek: I'm sure I'll be up and crusing very soon and promise to write more often about myself and Valentine and our adventures.

I'm always so frustrated with the dog shows because if you get to see a Japanese Chin they sure never get picked out of the group as special. Makes me made every time! It may be because I have the most beautiful' date=' most well behaved, lovable, and any other good thing that you can think of as my service dog. Her name is Valentine but her papers say she is "Cutie Pie be my Valentine". Talk about a prissy name!:D Since we have been on the boards we have did a T/A crossing from Rome to FL. Valentine did very well but did receive way too many "drive by pettings" I do wish the public could understand that that dog gets to be there for a reason and with special reasons and that no they can not bring fluffy along with them next time.

Valentine and I are getting ready to take my Mom and Sister on a 6 day cruise to the Bahamas. This will be my sister's first cruise. I think it's harder to get paperwork for the bahamas than to go to Europe.:( Does anyone know if anything besides shot records is needed if not leaving the ship? I also have to find some new pictures to post of Valentine in Europe for all to see.

Feels good to be back

Barbara[/quote']

Sorry for quoting the entire passage, I just wanted to offer some information re: needle stick pain. You might already know this. There are a few products that can help with this. One is L-Max. This is an over the counter cream that you apply to the injection site abt 15 minutes prior to the stick. It numbs the skin so in theory you won't feel the stick at all. It works well in the hospital environment. The other is a new devise that is just being marketed. I don't know the link, but if you put in "buzzy for shots" on a search engine you can find it. Maybe some day no one will even know what needle stick pain is.

Is it a state or federal law that these re exams occur or is it up to the original training orginization? It does sound like a good idea.

I do not know the answer to this question. I only know that CCI requires a re-test six months after graduation, then one after one year, then it can be anywhere from one to three years depending on how well the test goes.

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks for the information on the help with shot pain. I use to be a nurse quite a few years ago but it sure is different to give myself a shot! I have given myself shots several years ago with regular needles and syringes but this time they have given me this spring loaded contraption to deliver the medication. It works really well and I can't feel the needle go in but the medicine really BURNS! I have been applying ice and it does help. I will check out the buzzy for shots though. Can never have too much info!

Kerry,

That certainly makes sense! Can you be tested again within a reasonable amount of time (ie days or a week or so) or do you have to wait until testing is rescheduled for another group?? (again, I'm sure it is a silly question so my apologies)

Miriam

Hi Sunshine' date='

Thanks for the information on the help with shot pain. I use to be a nurse quite a few years ago but it sure is different to give myself a shot! I have given myself shots several years ago with regular needles and syringes but this time they have given me this spring loaded contraption to deliver the medication. It works really well and I can't feel the needle go in but the medicine really BURNS! I have been applying ice and it does help. I will check out the buzzy for shots though. Can never have too much info![/quote']

Another product that might help with the burn requires a prescription, and maybe you have already tried it. It is called "Emla" cream. If you put it on about 3 hours before the injection it numbs a bit deeper. In the hospital setting, I'll apply it 1 hour before an iv start or blood draw. Up to three hours before an IM shot.

That certainly makes sense! Can you be tested again within a reasonable amount of time (ie days or a week or so) or do you have to wait until testing is rescheduled for another group?? (again, I'm sure it is a silly question so my apologies)

Miriam

No such thing as a silly question. I really can't give you an accurate answer though, as this hasn't happened. I think it would be at least a few months before you could re-test. Maybe someone else here that is involved with CCI could give you a better answer.

No such thing as a silly question. I really can't give you an accurate answer though, as this hasn't happened. I think it would be at least a few months before you could re-test. Maybe someone else here that is involved with CCI could give you a better answer.

CCI requires that ALL their Service Dog Teams be certified in all aspects of public access. (Except for Facility Dogs, they only have access to the facility they work with.) If the Team does not pass the required testing. They're asked to NOT use public facilities and are invited back for re-testing when the next group testing is conducted. However, there are always special circumstances and they may be able to be re-tested sooner.

CCI does not take Public Access lightly. They insist that the "Teams" representing them (and wearing their vests and logo's) be on the "mark!" It's a good thing!!!!!

This certification is in accordance with the Department of Justice guidelines for Service Animals in public venues.

Barabara: Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about your "flare-up" but so glad to hear that it has not slowed down your cruising. Have a wonderful cruise with your family. They'll love their first cruise......