Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I said no, this was a service dog and she asked what the dog did for me. I proceeded to then tell her it was a service dog in training and I was exposing her to different environments as well as socialization. At this point, most people are charmed, want to hear about it. She told me I would have to leave as only dogs that were helping you were allowed in the building. At least she had some knowledge of service dogs. I proceeded to tell her that dogs in training were governed by the same ADA laws.

It is illegal to pass any non-service dog off as a service dog. Please do not continue to call your service dog in training a service dog. It also affects the way the public views service dogs when your in-training dog acts out or makes a mistake, which is a disservice to disabled people with fully-trained service dogs. Please always identify the dog as being in-training.

You are not protected under the ADA! The ADA is for disabled people. Even if you were/are disabled, service dogs in training are not service dogs under the ADA, so you still would not be able to bring an in-training dog anywhere under the ADA. The only people the ADA protects in regards to service dog access are people who are disabled and are acommpanied by a fully-trained service dog that does tasks to mitigate their particular disability.

(The ADA does not give access to dogs, it gives access to disabled people. I am disabled, but I cannot go and take a fully-trained service dog that does guide dog tasks into public because I don't need those tasks, so the dog is not a service dog for me and therefore I wouldn't qualify under the ADA to bring that dog into public places. However, my own service dog is trained to do tasks that I need, so I am qualified to bring her into public because I need her.)

Your state might have a law giving you limited or full public access rights with an in-training dog, but you will have to check on what your particular state's laws are (as well as any other state you wish to travel to with an in-training dog). Some states give no access to service dog trainers, some give access only to certified trainers working for certain programs, and some give access to all types of trainers.

She then proceeded to tell me that since I had business in the building I wasn't training the dog and I would have to leave:confused:.

Some people believe that in-training dogs should only be taken out when you are actively training them (so that your attention is on them full-time instead of on your errand) instead of being taken out everywhere you go all day every day. Unless your state's law says you can only bring in-training dogs with you for active training, this was just her opinion (and the opinion of many others).

Today I walked on the beach with Bailey. A life guard truck came up and I said to DH, here we go again -with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

BUT,

He waved, got out of his truck and picked up a sign that was about 4 feet in front of us and put it in the back of the truck - then said

Have a nice day!:)

It is illegal to pass any non-service dog off as a service dog. Please do not continue to call your service dog in training a service dog. It also affects the way the public views service dogs when your in-training dog acts out or makes a mistake, which is a disservice to disabled people with fully-trained service dogs. Please always identify the dog as being in-training.

You are not protected under the ADA! The ADA is for disabled people. Even if you were/are disabled, service dogs in training are not service dogs under the ADA, so you still would not be able to bring an in-training dog anywhere under the ADA. The only people the ADA protects in regards to service dog access are people who are disabled and are acommpanied by a fully-trained service dog that does tasks to mitigate their particular disability.

(The ADA does not give access to dogs, it gives access to disabled people. I am disabled, but I cannot go and take a fully-trained service dog that does guide dog tasks into public because I don't need those tasks, so the dog is not a service dog for me and therefore I wouldn't qualify under the ADA to bring that dog into public places. However, my own service dog is trained to do tasks that I need, so I am qualified to bring her into public because I need her.)

Your state might have a law giving you limited or full public access rights with an in-training dog, but you will have to check on what your particular state's laws are (as well as any other state you wish to travel to with an in-training dog). Some states give no access to service dog trainers, some give access only to certified trainers working for certain programs, and some give access to all types of trainers.

Some people believe that in-training dogs should only be taken out when you are actively training them (so that your attention is on them full-time instead of on your errand) instead of being taken out everywhere you go all day every day. Unless your state's law says you can only bring in-training dogs with you for active training, this was just her opinion (and the opinion of many others).

Quam, I certainly hope you did not write that comment in the mean spirited tone I read it in. It is not always fun and games out with these young pups. And my attention is ALWAYS on them. You have to have eyes in the back of your head. They have to be taken out in public and socialized or they will not be ready to be placed with a disabled person??? I don't know how you woud question the process.

Perhaps I misquoted the ADA laws. However, Ga Code 30-4-4 Clearly states that "Any person, firm, or corporation, or the agent of any person, firm, or corporation who denies or interferes with admittance to or otherwise interferes with the rights of a physically disalbed person, or person engaged in the training of a guide or service dog shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction subject to the penalty as set forth in Ga Code 30-4-4.

The pups and dogs I take out have been freshly bathed, are wearing a cape with ADA laws. While they are training they don't always stay perfectly under the table, or ride perfectly under the bus seat, or stay at my heel perfectly. That is why they are in training.

I don't imagine any restaurant would want me to just sit at their table and not have a meal. Plus the dogs need to see what a busy restaurant is like, and how to stay in a down stay even with yummy smells coming. I will certainly double check with my orginization, but my training was that these dogs had the same access rights as a fully trained service dog. As long as they were accompanied by a certified dog handler or trainer.

Today I walked on the beach with Bailey. A life guard truck came up and I said to DH, here we go again -with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

BUT,

He waved, got out of his truck and picked up a sign that was about 4 feet in front of us and put it in the back of the truck - then said

Have a nice day!:)

Andar, that tells me that maybe a email or a note went out to all the employess about service dogs. I believe that all of us do things for a reason and just maybe your trip was suppose to happen to bring attention to the employees that they were not doing their jobs correctly. I applaud you for your stance in this matter and for getting things changed for the rest of us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I really appreciate people like you and the rest of you on this board.

I need to run this by this group, I know that it has nothing to do with cruising but I still would like some information. I have a grocerie store here that I shop at alot, and they allow service dogs there, but there is one lady that brings this big dog in (I think it is a Mastiff), so one day I asked her what kind of service did he do for her since he did not have a vest or anything on him. She said that he does not do anything for her, but what he does for others. She told me that if he sniffs your shoes you are under alot of stress and you have heart problems. Well he sniffed my feet and I was not under stress nor do I have heart problems. So my question is, is that a legal service dog or is that the way that she is passing it off as one just to be able to bring him into a store. I have no problems with trained service dogs in stores at all, but this is not a trained dog. Should I talk to the manager about it or should I just ignore it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andar, that tells me that maybe a email or a note went out to all the employess about service dogs. I believe that all of us do things for a reason and just maybe your trip was suppose to happen to bring attention to the employees that they were not doing their jobs correctly. I applaud you for your stance in this matter and for getting things changed for the rest of us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I really appreciate people like you and the rest of you on this board.

I need to run this by this group, I know that it has nothing to do with cruising but I still would like some information. I have a grocerie store here that I shop at alot, and they allow service dogs there, but there is one lady that brings this big dog in (I think it is a Mastiff), so one day I asked her what kind of service did he do for her since he did not have a vest or anything on him. She said that he does not do anything for her, but what he does for others. She told me that if he sniffs your shoes you are under alot of stress and you have heart problems. Well he sniffed my feet and I was not under stress nor do I have heart problems. So my question is, is that a legal service dog or is that the way that she is passing it off as one just to be able to bring him into a store. I have no problems with trained service dogs in stores at all, but this is not a trained dog. Should I talk to the manager about it or should I just ignore it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Whaaaat? I don't think so! FYI, a vest is not required, although it is always better if a service vest is worn to alert the public......it is not a requirement. A lot of Seeing Eye Dogs do not wear vests. CCI vests have the insignia on both sides, which always serves as an alert to the public that this is a Service Dog.

The Mastiff is NOT serving her owner by sniffing other people. Unless this is part of an alerting process.....of which I've never heard of. If the dog is acting in a manner that is disruptive, in any way, the store owner should be told to question the owner more and, if it is not a ligitimate SD, it should be removed.

Darcie: Way to go! You won, my dear, you truly won!!!!! And, by you winning, so did all the rest of us! THANK YOU!

Karen: I don't think that Quam meant her comments to be as "pejorative" as they came across. And, you are so right about the Civil Codes that do allow "Dogs In Training" to be admitted to public areas. It's really the "trainer" who is being covered by the laws and codes, just as the ADA protects the disabled person, hence protecting the dog.

Without people like yourself Quam would NOT have a Service Dog, nor would anyone else who did not self-train their SD's from puppyhood!

Thank you for clarifying the code for all of us......And, again THANK YOU for the most difficult job of all; training our amazing Service Dogs, as puppies, for many months, thus allowing us the freedom to go through life, whole!

Thanks for your kind words Roz. I am probablyover sensitive. I also do not like confrontations and have to make an effort not to just back down. While I do not have any disabilites myself, I try to be aware of the challenges that are there. I am sure that I wil never truly know the challenges that those with disabilites face every day. My work with "service dogs in training" is a joy and I will continue with this endeavor. I really don't think I ever refer to them as just a "service dog" or certainly as "my dog", but I might, so I'll be especially careful out there in the big wideworld to be more correct in my word usage.

I still intend to study the wordage that is on the pack ID's the dogs use to make sure of the correct usageof public access.

For now, I'll just post about the fun things. I'll leave the challenges to those of you who have working service dogs.

For now, I'll just post about the fun things. I'll leave the challenges to those of you who have working service dogs.

Karen: I wish you wouldn't do this.......Your sharing of the in's and out's of "puppy training" was such a wonderful eclipse into the lives of these dogs and their trainers......I so enjoyed all your experiences, good, bad or indifferent. Please don't stop, with all the good information and story telling.

It helped me a lot....

Karen, as a former puppy raiser for Guide Dogs for Blind, I really enjoy your stories as it brings back so many memories or this dog or that one. We had to take them to the hospital to get elevator experience as it was the only building in town with an elevator! We remember each one. Please continue to write.

You guys are right, I think a memo went out as this morning we took our last walk on the beach before heading home. A Ranger came up quickly, looked down at Bailey's jacket and then just smiled.

I tried to explain to DH how great that felt but I don't think he understood. Just to be able to walk on the beach and not get stopped. I was almost walking on air -pain free!!

Karen, as a former puppy raiser for Guide Dogs for Blind, I really enjoy your stories as it brings back so many memories or this dog or that one. We had to take them to the hospital to get elevator experience as it was the only building in town with an elevator! We remember each one. Please continue to write.

You guys are right, I think a memo went out as this morning we took our last walk on the beach before heading home. A Ranger came up quickly, looked down at Bailey's jacket and then just smiled.

I tried to explain to DH how great that felt but I don't think he understood. Just to be able to walk on the beach and not get stopped. I was almost walking on air -pain free!!

I am so glad that your experiences have ended up on a more positive note. It is hard to go out thinking am I going to have to argue again today. Im glad you were able to enjoy that last walk on the beach. Next year it will be daily beach walks for you.

Off to "dog duty" today. Will be showing my mom and niece the training facility and then taking everyone o lunch, including my canine date. Depending on the pup or dog, I'll decide what restaurant to go to. We all have our favorites. Then nursery duty. I still feel like such a rookie in there with the more experienced volunteers and have been a pediatric nurse for 30 years. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Sunshine:

Sounds like a fun day! I am working with as a substitute aide for the CAL SAFE program right now. It is taking care of the babies for the teenage moms that are still going to school. So off to your babies and I'm off to mine. Yours just have a few more legs!:D

Glad to see we're all off to somewhere. We're off to San Francisco to spend the holiday with our children.

I made my reservation at the Pleasanton Inn. I told them I have a Service Dog and they said it would be $20.00 per day and, that we would have a special room, where they put the families with dogs. I responded; no, you will not put me in a "special" room or "special area" of your hotel and you will not charge me $20.00 per day for my dog!

I explained that my dog was a Service Dog and insisted on a "regular" room with no added fees attached. They were, I believe the word is; "dumbstruck!" They didn't know how to respond, so, I simply said......"See you upon arrival!" And, they responded....."Thank you!"

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!!!!!!! It's such a "forever game", and, not such a fun one, that we must play! But, I'm not going to back down, not now, not ever!!!!!!!

"Calm and assertive".......here I go!!!!!!!!

Quam, I certainly hope you did not write that comment in the mean spirited tone I read it in.

There was no mean tone, I was simply stating laws and facts, so I don't know where you got that from.

It is not always fun and games out with these young pups. And my attention is ALWAYS on them. You have to have eyes in the back of your head. They have to be taken out in public and socialized or they will not be ready to be placed with a disabled person??? I don't know how you woud question the process.

Nobody is questioning the fact that dogs have to be trained, but the laws are the laws. In states that don't give access to trainers or all types of trainers (i.e. only professionals who work for organizations), ppl can't just bring their in-training dog in a public place and demand access. They can ask for access and explain the reason for it and, from what I hear, most businesses are fine with it, but if the business says no, they have to leave.

Perhaps I misquoted the ADA laws. However, Ga Code 30-4-4 Clearly states that "Any person, firm, or corporation, or the agent of any person, firm, or corporation who denies or interferes with admittance to or otherwise interferes with the rights of a physically disalbed person, or person engaged in the training of a guide or service dog shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction subject to the penalty as set forth in Ga Code 30-4-4.

Yes, that would be an example of a state law that I mentioned. That is not the ADA and you are still not covered under the ADA, as only disabled ppl with fully-trained service dogs that assist their needs are covered under the ADA.

The pups and dogs I take out have been freshly bathed, are wearing a cape with ADA laws. While they are training they don't always stay perfectly under the table, or ride perfectly under the bus seat, or stay at my heel perfectly. That is why they are in training.

Why do they have ADA laws in/on their capes? Puppy raisers, trainers, and in-training dogs are not under the ADA.

Yes, like I said, the reasons you stated are exactly why puppy raisers and trainers need to remember to make it clear to everyone that the dog is in training still.

I don't imagine any restaurant would want me to just sit at their table and not have a meal. Plus the dogs need to see what a busy restaurant is like, and how to stay in a down stay even with yummy smells coming. I will certainly double check with my orginization, but my training was that these dogs had the same access rights as a fully trained service dog. As long as they were accompanied by a certified dog handler or trainer.

Some ppl do go into a restaurant for training and just order drinks or drinks and an appetizer (or dessert).

You don't have the same access rights as a disabled person, as disabled ppl are covered nationally under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). You might have full access rights in your state, but once you leave your state, the laws may differ in the other state(s) you go to.

No dog has any access rights. Access rights belong to the person. Disabled ppl have the right to go to every public place that non-disabled ppl go to. If they need to use a wheelchair, cane, walker, oxygen, service dog, etc. in order to go to/use the place, then they are allowed to do so.

I have a grocerie store here that I shop at alot, and they allow service dogs there, but there is one lady that brings this big dog in (I think it is a Mastiff), so one day I asked her what kind of service did he do for her since he did not have a vest or anything on him. She said that he does not do anything for her, but what he does for others. She told me that if he sniffs your shoes you are under alot of stress and you have heart problems. Well he sniffed my feet and I was not under stress nor do I have heart problems. So my question is, is that a legal service dog or is that the way that she is passing it off as one just to be able to bring him into a store.

WOW. In no way is that a service dog!! That is terrible that the lady is bringing her pet in there like that and trying to pass of that malarky about shoe-sniffing stress!

In order for a dog to be a service dog, it must be trained to do tasks for its handler and those tasks must directly correspond to the handler's disability (i.e. a dog that only picks up items off the floor for somebody who is fully capable of picking up their own items is not a service dog for that person). It also needs to be trained to behave in public - this includes not going up to other ppl and sniffing them.

So, to recap:

1. The handler must be disabled under the law. That means they must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, which are things like seeing, hearing, walking, caring for self, etc.

2. The dog must be trained to do tasks.

3. The trained tasks must mitigate the handler's particular disability, such as guiding a blind person around objects or alerting to sounds for a deaf person.

4. The dog must be trained to behave properly in public settings. Any dog, including a real service dog, can be kicked out of public for misbehaving.

Ugh, that is just so terrible that that lady is bringing in her GIANT dog (of all things! I've heard of lap dogs being snuck in under the service dog guise, but a Mastiff?! Goodness!) to the grocery store.

I have heard of pet owners who use their dogs as therapy dogs being confused about the laws before, though, so MAYBE that is what is happening with this lady. I read one newspaper article about a teenager who had a therapy dog and she kept bringing it everywhere with her telling businesses her dog was allowed by law. Therapy dogs are NOT allowed in no-pets places!! The only reason they can enter hospitals and such is because they have been invited there at a particular time as a member of a therapy dog organization (after going through training, certification, having a bath, and other rules). Once the girl's therapy dog organization was alerted (from seeing the article), they put a stop to her illegal acts.

There was no mean tone, I was simply stating laws and facts, so I don't know where you got that from.

Nobody is questioning the fact that dogs have to be trained, but the laws are the laws. In states that don't give access to trainers or all types of trainers (i.e. only professionals who work for organizations), ppl can't just bring their in-training dog in a public place and demand access. They can ask for access and explain the reason for it and, from what I hear, most businesses are fine with it, but if the business says no, they have to leave.

Yes, that would be an example of a state law that I mentioned. That is not the ADA and you are still not covered under the ADA, as only disabled ppl with fully-trained service dogs that assist their needs are covered under the ADA.

Why do they have ADA laws in/on their capes? Puppy raisers, trainers, and in-training dogs are not under the ADA.

Yes, like I said, the reasons you stated are exactly why puppy raisers and trainers need to remember to make it clear to everyone that the dog is in training still.

Some ppl do go into a restaurant for training and just order drinks or drinks and an appetizer (or dessert).

You don't have the same access rights as a disabled person, as disabled ppl are covered nationally under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). You might have full access rights in your state, but once you leave your state, the laws may differ in the other state(s) you go to.

No dog has any access rights. Access rights belong to the person. Disabled ppl have the right to go to every public place that non-disabled ppl go to. If they need to use a wheelchair, cane, walker, oxygen, service dog, etc. in order to go to/use the place, then they are allowed to do so.

I'll defer to your expert knowledge of the ADA and I appreciate the clarification. I was inadvertently referring to state code in regard to service dogs in training.

On a much lighter note, I have a wonderful golden/lab mix lying quietly under my computer desk as I post. He will probably graduate and go out into "service" next week. He was wonderful at lunch yesterday. Stayed right at my heel, was quiet under the table during he whole lunch(no reminders needed). Now, he makes volunteering easy!! I have a lon day planed with him today, his trainer wants to see how he will do with multiple errands and lots of in and out of the cars, in and out of the stores.

Puppies duty was sweet yesterday. (Actually since a lot of this involved cleaning up after puppies, maybe sweet isn't the most descriptve word:D)

One litter has moved up into the next stage of training, and a new mommy and her pups have moved in. Mommy was glad for a little human love and a walk, and then right back to her puppies.

I'll defer to your expert knowledge of the ADA and I appreciate the clarification. I was inadvertently referring to state code in regard to service dogs in training.

From what you posted, it does look like your state gives you access. Do you carry around a copy of the law with you? If not, you might want to do that, if your program allows you to. I know some programs ask their puppy raisers not to push the access issue, even when the state law is on their side, but instead to call the program and let the program deal with the business (after the fact). However you do it, do it how the program you're working with requests.

From what you posted, it does look like your state gives you access. Do you carry around a copy of the law with you? If not, you might want to do that, if your program allows you to. I know some programs ask their puppy raisers not to push the access issue, even when the state law is on their side, but instead to call the program and let the program deal with the business (after the fact). However you do it, do it how the program you're working with requests.

Yes, it is attached to every service cape. I also wear photo indentification provided by the program stating that I have passed a certification process and am a represenative for them. It has the code that I posted on it.

Yes, good manners are important and I am allowed to gently educate and request assistance from immediate supervisers. If I still meet with resistance I am to leave, but the program will deal with them.

My intention is first to provide good exposures to the dogs to support their training. Second is always to be a good ambassador for service dogs and the work they do. In the past,I felt that I was also providing education that would assist the general public in their understaning of a person with a disability and the function the dogs can provide. Now,I am not so sure. I obviously did not have a very good understanding of the ADA laws as I thought.

Sunshine, I am sure you are a great ambassador for the service dogs.

Another thought I had was it is so nice that puppy raisers can help educate the public and businesses. When we raised GDB puppies, we loved to educate and share.

Now that I am disabled, I have little energy to get my daily tasks done, let alone stand and chat with some well meaning person.

Thank you for now only the time and love you give to the puppies but also for help paving the way for access for our service dogs. :)

P.S. We did get home from the beach and I did file an access complaint with the State Parks system. I requested 1) ADA training for staff and 2) a formal complaint be put in the obnoxious person that denied my right.

First time I have ever done anything like that but I just couldn't believe the ignorance of the law.

Thanks Andar. The program I am involved with doesn't use "puppy raisers" like some programs, especially the guide dog. The puppies are raised and trained up at the facility and volunteers take them out(as do the trainers) on outings, home visits etc. I personally never have a dog for more than a week, mostly just a few days. Mostly I am working with dogs from about 6 months of age up to 2 years. Most of the dogs graduate young, around 18 -24 months of age. These dogs still get a lot of love and attention.

I don't have a service dog, but ..I do want to respond to what one of you was commenting on -- being stared at when you enter a room with your dog.

That's not unique to people with service dogs, of course. That happens whenever anyone with a visible disability -- be it using a cane, walker, wheelchair, whatever -- comes into a space where other non-disabled people are. And having to "justify our existence" isn't unique to people with service animals either. In one regard, those of you with service dogs have somewhat better access -- at least you can get in the door of place, and stay in "regular" rooms at hotels (even if they do try to shuffle you off to the "pet" wing!).

Having a visible disabilty -- or having some mobility aides (and I'm putting a service dog in this category, for simplicity sake) -- sets us apart from the temporarily-able-bodied world, and that distinction is often not pleasant.

Mornin' all;

I don't have to be back to work until 4-20. Down side is I don't get paid either. Hopefully I can spend some time here and feel like I'm not running a marathon to get caught up!

I definately have spring fever and would surely like to be on the ocean with the fresh salt air blowing in my hair! Sitting on the aft of the ship just totally relaxing. I can feel my shoulders slumping as I type!

I watch a program called House Hunters all the time. Yesterday there was a segment on a couple that wanted to move to the suburbs, because she trains SD, specifically for autism. Since the show was about buying houses they didn't talk too much about the dogs, but I thought that was so awesome that it is finally getting the recognition it deserves. I thought of Cameron and Hannah right off the bat. I have goosebumbs right now.

Everyone have a great Easter weekend and don't eat to much bunny candy!

Nancy

I don't have a service dog, but ..I do want to respond to what one of you was commenting on -- being stared at when you enter a room with your dog.

That's not unique to people with service dogs, of course. That happens whenever anyone with a visible disability -- be it using a cane, walker, wheelchair, whatever -- comes into a space where other non-disabled people are. And having to "justify our existence" isn't unique to people with service animals either. In one regard, those of you with service dogs have somewhat better access -- at least you can get in the door of place, and stay in "regular" rooms at hotels (even if they do try to shuffle you off to the "pet" wing!).

Having a visible disabilty -- or having some mobility aides (and I'm putting a service dog in this category, for simplicity sake) -- sets us apart from the temporarily-able-bodied world, and that distinction is often not pleasant.

Thanks for your comment and my point exactly. The "normal" or majority does tend to view "the different" in either wonder, amazement or unbelief. Here's to the different!

Hey Everyone! It has been awhile, but we are thinking of cruising again. So far the group we cruise with only has one cruise we are considering, but I do not think the itinerary is service dog friendly. Is is true that service dogs can not even be on the ship in Jamaica or Haiti?