best Alaskan souvenirs?

sacway

You all offer so many good ideas on a place I've never visited, perhaps you can share your opinions on this.

There's not going to be room in my suitcases for a totem pole for the front yard. The kids/grandkids have plenty of t-shirts, and salmon run in the Sacramento River. I know I'll want something from at least one of the ports.

What did you bring back, from where?

An Ulu knife. Many different makers, some very unique hand-made. The Ulu Factory in Anchorage mass-produces very nice Ulu Knife and Bowl sets... though they are sold cheaper in Ketchikan at appx. $25 set (Tongass Trading Co.) than at the factory itself.

Alaska Wildberry Products in Anchorage offers some wonderful jams/jellies. They've been a hit with the folks I've given jars to. Unique and certainly not a dust-catcher. Other companies offer nice edible products, also, but none come to mind at the moment.

Pictures!!! Ultimately, these are my best souvenirs. As my family and I look back at them, we can spend quite a while just remembering different things that happened, who we were with, and then enjoy planning for 'next time'!:)

The Ulu knives are very unique and most guys on your gift list would probably like them. If you are going to Sitka they have a couple of Russian stores with lots of nesting dolls. Sitka also has many different types of chocolate bars that are actually made there--we got some and they are delicious. In almost every port there are stores with beautiful handcarved figures by the local Alaskan Indians. Hope this helps!:)

rocks you can pick up in the river beds and debris fields offer very unique and inexpensive gifts. we got several for paperweights for self and others. interesting shapes, colors, markings.. lrskier

Since I have never stepped foot in Alaska, take this with a grain of salt. ;)

I also had Salmon jerky, Alaska Jack Bars, and jams/jellies listed. I have a big doc file on Alaska from reading these boards this week. If I remember correctly, someone said that people always expect her to bring back Alaska Jack Bars when she goes there. Thus they must be good I thought. I thought at first they were a type of knife..but after lots of posts they sound like they are a bar you eat. ..sorry, but I am new to this. :-) Just sharing what I found in the threads on what to buy.

If I remember correctly, someone said that people always expect her to bring back Alaska Jack Bars when she goes there. Thus they must be good I thought. I thought at first they were a type of knife..but after lots of posts they sound like they are a bar you eat.

They are chocolate candy bars. Plain, nuts, crispies... several varieties available with different names. The uniqueness is the wrapper printed with 'Alaska' themes. Cute, and who doesn't like chocolate?! An inexpensive 'thinking of you, and not a dust magnet, either.

Their boxed offering of individually wrapped toffee candies is wonderful, but more expensive than the candy bars. I steered clear of them this last cruise... I could easily develop an addiction.

EDIT~ It is BudgetQueen you are speaking of, I believe...

Hi. I brought back the wooden bear paws for salad serving or tossing to all my work buddies (women) and they all loved them and are using them daily! They sold them in all the shops in Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway.

I wish I would have brought home salmon jerky--everyone was asking for it! Can you imagine?? haha

And for myself, my best souvenirs are my photos and my time spent in Alaska with my 11 yr old daughter and the memories/experiences we created there!

Have a great trip!!!! Bring extra space in your luggage or an extra suitcase!!!

denise

Archived